• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Improving handwriting

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips? My writing is terrible but I often have to write on whiteboards and take notes that are passed around.

I was thinking to buy a book with practice exercises but thought I would ask here in case anyone has looked into the topic or has any success stories.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
take up caligraphy? in my experience its as much the will to create more beautiful letters(i.e. legible) as inability for most people...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ I Was about to say that, I picked up a fountain pen a while back and found that the extra effort helped matters. I think it's a matter of taking your time and focusing on being consistent with your strokes.

The related fora also discuss penmanship and different writing styles, fonts, and exercises....but I lost interest before it got to that point.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take your time, learn how to lightly rest your hand on the paper, write from your shoulder versus drawing letters. I got a nice fountain pen for my birthday last year so i'm learning how to write all over again. Oh and practice practice practice.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Gents.

It was actually the purchase of a fountain pen that is giving me the kick ********** to finally do something about my penmanship. Yes, practice, practice. I suppose that is the key point.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Fountain pens are what motivated me to improve my handwriting, and they helped a lot..

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^Fountain pens are what motivated me to improve my handwriting, and they helped a lot..

For sure. People can actually read what I write now. Before the fountain pen my handwriting resembled hieroglyphics on a good day and something from outer space on a bad day.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps an idea for practice, for profile drafts (of which I have to write a LOT) I always write them with pen, making me think about each word and be more deliberate with them. The secretary then puts it in a word document..

Needless to say, I keep writing a lot by hand, and usually get compliments for my handwriting..

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handwriting is becoming a lost art which is a shame. Some of the younger crowd can't read or write in cursive at all let alone spell.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Some school systems no longer teach cursive writing.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://handwritingsuccess.com/write-now.php

E - get this book. I just got it myself for the same reasons. Let me know if they don't ship to Japville and I'll buy you one and ship it out to you. Its got all you need.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I write in cursive italic. Much easier than the traditional cursive taught way back in the day. I'm not sure when or how I picked up this style of writing. It just sort of happened.

dexterhaven

Reaction score

I write in cursive italic. Much easier than the traditional cursive taught way back in the day. I'm not sure when or how I picked up this style of writing. It just sort of happened.

I switched to this a while back. Really helped be write more neatly. There are a few books on it, but this website is actually much better than any of them that I've encountered: http://briem.net/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads