1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Improving handwriting

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alter, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

Anyone have any tips? My writing is terrible but I often have to write on whiteboards and take notes that are passed around.

I was thinking to buy a book with practice exercises but thought I would ask here in case anyone has looked into the topic or has any success stories.

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

take up caligraphy? in my experience its as much the will to create more beautiful letters(i.e. legible) as inability for most people...

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^ I Was about to say that, I picked up a fountain pen a while back and found that the extra effort helped matters. I think it's a matter of taking your time and focusing on being consistent with your strokes.

The related fora also discuss penmanship and different writing styles, fonts, and exercises....but I lost interest before it got to that point.

1 person likes this.
  4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Take your time, learn how to lightly rest your hand on the paper, write from your shoulder versus drawing letters. I got a nice fountain pen for my birthday last year so i'm learning how to write all over again. Oh and practice practice practice.

5. Alter

Alter Senior member

Thanks, Gents.

It was actually the purchase of a fountain pen that is giving me the kick in the ass to finally do something about my penmanship. Yes, practice, practice. I suppose that is the key point.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Fountain pens are what motivated me to improve my handwriting, and they helped a lot..

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

For sure. People can actually read what I write now. Before the fountain pen my handwriting resembled hieroglyphics on a good day and something from outer space on a bad day.

8. nootje

nootje Senior member

Perhaps an idea for practice, for profile drafts (of which I have to write a LOT) I always write them with pen, making me think about each word and be more deliberate with them. The secretary then puts it in a word document..

Needless to say, I keep writing a lot by hand, and usually get compliments for my handwriting..

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Handwriting is becoming a lost art which is a shame. Some of the younger crowd can't read or write in cursive at all let alone spell.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Some school systems no longer teach cursive writing.

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

or math for that matter.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

http://handwritingsuccess.com/write-now.php

E - get this book. I just got it myself for the same reasons. Let me know if they don't ship to Japville and I'll buy you one and ship it out to you. Its got all you need.

13. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

I'll second the Getty book. Fantastic!

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I write in cursive italic. Much easier than the traditional cursive taught way back in the day. I'm not sure when or how I picked up this style of writing. It just sort of happened.

15. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Senior member

I switched to this a while back. Really helped be write more neatly. There are a few books on it, but this website is actually much better than any of them that I've encountered: http://briem.net/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  16. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

I WRITE IN ALL CAPS

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  17. Alter

Alter Senior member

Ordered! Thanks for the tip..and the offer to help ship. I was able to find a place that ships overseas.

This looks very cool too. Will be checking it out in more detail Thanks for the tip!

18. Alter

Alter Senior member

Just an update...I got the Getty/Dubay book called "Write Now" and it is great. I discovered that I was not holding the pen correctly, and I had simply become lazy with my penmanship. I am spending around 15-30 minutes a day practicing and going through the book to learn cursive italic. In a few days I can already see a big improvement.

19. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

I once found a forum that is strictly about penmanship, I've seen some of the photos of their work, it is impeccable.

20. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

OMG, pretty soon you're going to be looking at men's clothing sites and conspicuously overdressing and eventually dotting your i's with hearts.

(actually I may look that book up)