• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

improving diction / enunciation

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After hearing several recordings of my voice, I realize that my voice sounds terrible. I am constantly mumbling, slurring, and sound bored out of my mind, even if I prepare. Any tips to improve this terrible problem?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
repeat after me "the rain in spain falls mostly in the plains".

ok, now with marbles.

best advice is to film yourself presenting and take note and practice. Practice slowly ennunciating certain words, maybe even consider a voice/speech therapist/coach if you're serious?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was learning English, I usually try to find a native speaker of English who happens to be Jehovah's Witnesses. They will talk with you for hours about all sorts of things and you can practice your enunciation/diction for free.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
When I was learning English, I usually try to find a native speaker of English who happens to be Jehovah's Witnesses. They will talk with you for hours about all sorts of things and you can practice your enunciation/diction for free.

ya.... just be on the look out for dudes in ill-fitting black slacks, short-sleeve white dress shirts w/ top button buttoned carrying black backpacks w/ both straps on! talk, talk, talk away

texas_jack

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can improve your diction by reading books. Especially the classics. As far as annunciation you can take a class or just make a point to speak carefully using full sentences.

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. thing is, in my mind i sound pretty articulate and all, but after hearing my voice, i'm like uughhhh. and it's not just me who notices it, it's others too, so this is not a case where i'm just picky or "everyone just hates their voices...."

and that thing about the jehovah's witness was pretty damn hilarious lol

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try finding someone whose style of talking you like and try to imitate them? eg. carl sagan ... ?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
try finding someone whose style of talking you like and try to imitate them? eg. carl sagan ... ?

Carl Sagan definitely had a unique style (sounded somewhat like a nerdy take on William Shatner), but I wouldn't recommend it as a template.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjl2g
I am constantly mumbling, slurring, and sound bored out of my mind, even if I prepare. Any tips to improve this terrible problem?

Can such a voice not have it's own charm?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.