• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

improving bench press

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Where are you weak in the press? Off the chest or at the lockout? Are you moving the bar pretty fast or is it a slow movement. Based on your other numbers im guessing your bench is pretty high and your probably past the point of progressive overload and wave progression would probably work better for you benching a fairly low amount. That or you could go the opposite and run smolov jr for bench press and bench like 4 times a week, which will definitely work, but smolov programs are torture.

hmmmm..... I guess about half way up. what typically happens is that I'll do 3-4 sets of 5, then on the following set i'll do anywhere from 1-3 and then in the middle of a rep I'll lose power, probably about half way up. the movements are all pretty quick and smooth.

due to my age, and the fact that I've had a few minor excersize related joint pain issues - thumbs from boxing, ankles from running, and shoulders from lifting and swimming, I want to be carefull not to destroy my rotator cuffs.

by a lot of considerations, I am not doing badly with the press, but I have set myself a goal to improve my bench and I hate to throw away a goal.

once I hit the goal, I'll go back to once a week lifting weights, for sure. or I might to once a week heavy weights at 5X5 and once a week 1X100, which I ma toying with.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is your 1rm on flat bench press anyway?
I do not recommend smolov jr. for bench. You will be killing your elbow joints and regret that you did. That program was designed for squats, anyway.
I also think working out the chest once a week is a good idea. You can try lifting in the 70-75% of 1rm zone, and doing 6-10 reps per set and several sets. Honestly the biggest influence on how much I can bench in a given day is how well I ate before the workout. Make sure your nutrition is consistently tops.

I haven't tried for a long time, I am guessing 200, more or less.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Oddly enough, T-bar Rows will help your bench press. Another way to break through a plateau is heavy negative reps utilizing a spotter (or two) to help you get the bar the hell off your chest.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smolov is a very hard program, I ran it for squats, but had to stop 2 weeks in due to an injury. I haven't done smolov jr, but it looks a bit easier and definitely more suited to bench press. You'll need a lot of calories and time to sleep, but it will definitely get your bench press up a lot. Sounds like you don't really have a weak point in your bench, which is a good thing. The stuff in the thread about using a low max is a very good idea. I took about 10% of my max when I did Smolov and it was still very hard.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks. that's actually one of my issues now, I have always worked without a spotter, and right now, trying to build my bench, I need to work with a spotter.

I lift at the Y, and there is a men's residence there. I am even thinking of hiring a homeless guy to spot me so that I can work quickly but have the security of a spotter.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this looks like exactly what I was looking for, some kind of prescription with very specific instructions. I eat a huge amount of protien now, and I can get sleep for 3 weeks, if I need to.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll probably need a spotter for smolov jr because a lot of people do miss reps, by your tenth tripple your pretty tired. Can't you just ask someone at the gym to spot you whose also working out?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You'll probably need a spotter for smolov jr because a lot of people do miss reps, by your tenth tripple your pretty tired. Can't you just ask someone at the gym to spot you whose also working out?

yeah, I wouldn't try it without a spotter. I'm going to have to plan this carefully, because usually when I work out (about 6 am) there aren't that many guys in the gym, so I ask random people for help on my last two sets. I have a few thoughts on this.

so, here is what I am thinking - I think that I will shift back to once a week on heavy weights, and then once a week I'm going to work on triceps and do some dumbells with things like flies.

then, the next time I get a chance to be in town for 3 weeks, I'll do smolov jr, and see how that works out.

I think that might move me along.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Be strong in pull-ups and dips. Ideally be at the point where you can do 10 of each exercise easily and you are doing them weighted.

I also think Bench Press should not be done more than twice per week. Don't be a tool and lift in the PLer style, when you are benching under 315.

Also, how far are your hands placed and what line does the bar follow? Having strong triceps also helps, hence weighted dips is should be a mandatory prerequisite for a good bench press.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your 1rm is 200 pounds. just keep working out and eating you will break through that plateau. At 200 pounds you really do not have the training time under your belt to start doing advanced techniques.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
summary: 1. lift bar, 2. lower bar, 3. put back

What is your goal? to just increase weight?
if i were you i would look at your technique 1st. take a read through this.
Phase 1: Setup (Prepare yourself by putting on your lifting apparel: shoes, shirt, singlet, belt, and wrists wraps, in that order. Chalk your hands heavily to get a good strong grip and your shoulder blades and butt to prevent any possible sliding off the bench).
Feet Back: Metal Militia Technique (First lie down high on the bench so that your head is hanging off the bench. Unlike in bodybuilding bench, place your feet as far back underneath as you can. Don’t get on your toes; keep the entire sole flat on the floor. This will provide a solid leverage point for arching your back and pressing the bar from).
Bridged Back (Grab the bar with an underhand grip and pull yourself up towards the bar and down towards your feet, so that your forehead touches the bar. Do NOT move your feet of the ground; just arch your back into a bridge. After touching the bar with forehead, first rest your head on the bench, then traps and upper back while maintaining an extremely strong bridge.
Squeeze Shoulder Blades (Roll the shoulders back to meet the shoulder blades. Until the pain of clenching is still bearable you are not doing it right. If you are not ready to feel enormous pain you are still not ready to compete. Clamping blades tight together shortens the path that bar needs to travel, avoids recruiting of the anterior deltoid muscles and creates a thick upper back platform that will carry out most of the weight).
Bar Grip Type (First and most important thing I want to stress out is that you ALWAYS use a fully wrapped grip. Wrapping the bar with thumbs will prevent it from dropping on your chest and ensure more pressing power. Digging your hands deep into the knurls of the bar, and squeezing it as hard as you can, will trigger a reflex which will make your entire body to tighten. This is a little trick used by the professionals).
Bar Grip Width (As for the width of the grip, this is something you will need to figure out for yourself. Wider grip will put more stress on the chest while narrower on the triceps. Either way is fine, just be sure not to use too narrow or too wide grip. As I said try different widths and see what works the best for you.
Wrists Straight (First of all, put the bar on the root of the palms not the part that meets the fingers. As a result, the wrists should be completely straight, as almost as if you are doing push-ups on your fists.
Phase 2: Unracking (Here I will use the example of performing a bench press set with just one rep using maximum weight. Note: this example is actually a simulation of the maximum lift performed like the one on a meet. The only step that is different than in normal training is “Inhale Deep”, where you will inhale before every repetition and not just before the first one. During competition, the spotters are allowed to assist you with this step).
Inhale Deep (Take an enormously deep breath, to take in a lot of oxygen supplies, because the next time you will breath in will be when you return the bar on the rack at the finishing point of the lift! NOTE: Don’t exaggerate by taking too much air. Take just enough to make your stomach hard and push it out on your belt).
Elbows Locked (Keep your elbows locked during the lockout because you are strongest in that position. Bending your arms will only waste your lifting strength by additionally pressuring the triceps).
Unrack the Bar (Don’t unrack the bar by pressing out with your chest and triceps or raising the shoulders. Instead pull it off by using only the strength of your back (lats). This is not the time to be aggressive and jerk the bar up like a mad man. It will waste your strength, mess up your concentration and balance or perhaps result in an injury. After unracking, wait while the weight stabilizes.
Phase 3: Descent (Descent must be done in a very controlled and somewhat slow manner. Descending too rapidly will make you lose control and bounce the bar off the chest which is not allowed to do. So be sure to control this part of the lift. The strongest focus is required for this stage).
Tuck Elbows (Lower the bar down and forward towards the lower end of your chest by rotating (tucking) your elbows in. The path of the bar will resemble a written backslash character “\”. This part of the lift may be very uncomfortable and appear to go against logic if you are a beginner, because it differs very much from the classic bodybuilding bench where elbows are benched out and the bar is traveling down in a straight line. However, this technique, once mastered will provide more power).
Heels Down/Belly Up (While tucking your elbows, simultaneously dig your heels as hard as possible into the floor and arch your back as hard as you can! Basically, drive your heels into the ground and push your belly up to shorten the bar path, but don’t raise your butt of the bench).
Phase 4: Ascent (During this stage you must put forth all the resources that you have in order to drive the weight up. Since your descent was done slowly and bouncing off the chest is not allowed, you can’t count on inertia to aid you in going up. The bench shirt in this situation will act as a sling and help you additionally. NOTE: If you wear a shirt, the bar should touch the chest at the sternum (breastbone). Without the shirt the bar should touch somewhere between the nipples and the sternum).
Touch and Push: Metal Militia Technique (Once the bar is touching the chest wait for the referee’s bench signal. Press the bar up and towards your face by bringing (rotating) the elbows out. Make sure to press the weight up along the same backslash path that you lowered it down. Again, push from the heels and maintain the bridge, this is very important)!
Feet/Butt/Head Down (Pushing from your heels will make you want to raise your butt. Concentrate and resist the urge to do so because it is forbidden by the IPF rules. Some people like to look at the bar during bench press, which is also forbidden. Make sure to incorporate all this into your technique early on in your training so you can develop a reliable habit).

Kidding aside, either get a spotter or work on increasing your squat

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am confused by this increase your squat stuff, there are significantly more effective exercises for adding mass to your upper back then squats. As far as I know squats are a posterior chain movement, your posterior chain is not below your neck. The squat is not a magical exercise. I increased my squat by 40kg, my bench went up 2.5kg. Yeah you'll put a bit of mass on your upper back from squats, but its not like your moving weight with it during a squat. Your keeping it tight so that the bar has a place to sit and so you don't curve too much. Do rows, face pulls, chins or deadlifts to build a bigger upper back. Back size is not necessarily his problem. He has a pretty low press, it could be his shoulders and triceps, which are lagging.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am confused by this increase your squat stuff, there are significantly more effective exercises for adding mass to your upper back then squats. As far as I know squats are a posterior chain movement, your posterior chain is not below your neck. The squat is not a magical exercise. I increased my squat by 40kg, my bench went up 2.5kg. Yeah you'll put a bit of mass on your upper back from squats, but its not like your moving weight with it during a squat. Your keeping it tight so that the bar has a place to sit and so you don't curve too much. Do rows, face pulls, chins or deadlifts to build a bigger upper back. Back size is not necessarily his problem. He has a pretty low press, it could be his shoulders and triceps, which are lagging.

If your squats are already top notch, then obviously there is little left to gain.

For someone whose sole 6 month goal is to blast his bench bro numbers, then it is quite possible that he is neglecting his squats. You said your squats are bro-matic but your bench sucks, that might be your normal maxed out state.

Personally I don't know the scientific reason why it helped, but it helped me a lot. It's a suggestion

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads