improving bench press

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by globetrotter, Nov 28, 2011.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

hmmmm..... I guess about half way up. what typically happens is that I'll do 3-4 sets of 5, then on the following set i'll do anywhere from 1-3 and then in the middle of a rep I'll lose power, probably about half way up. the movements are all pretty quick and smooth.

due to my age, and the fact that I've had a few minor excersize related joint pain issues - thumbs from boxing, ankles from running, and shoulders from lifting and swimming, I want to be carefull not to destroy my rotator cuffs.

by a lot of considerations, I am not doing badly with the press, but I have set myself a goal to improve my bench and I hate to throw away a goal.

once I hit the goal, I'll go back to once a week lifting weights, for sure. or I might to once a week heavy weights at 5X5 and once a week 1X100, which I ma toying with.

2. globetrotter

I haven't tried for a long time, I am guessing 200, more or less.

3. globetrotter

4. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

Oddly enough, T-bar Rows will help your bench press. Another way to break through a plateau is heavy negative reps utilizing a spotter (or two) to help you get the bar the hell off your chest.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Smolov is a very hard program, I ran it for squats, but had to stop 2 weeks in due to an injury. I haven't done smolov jr, but it looks a bit easier and definitely more suited to bench press. You'll need a lot of calories and time to sleep, but it will definitely get your bench press up a lot. Sounds like you don't really have a weak point in your bench, which is a good thing. The stuff in the thread about using a low max is a very good idea. I took about 10% of my max when I did Smolov and it was still very hard.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

6. globetrotter

thanks. that's actually one of my issues now, I have always worked without a spotter, and right now, trying to build my bench, I need to work with a spotter.

I lift at the Y, and there is a men's residence there. I am even thinking of hiring a homeless guy to spot me so that I can work quickly but have the security of a spotter.

7. globetrotter

this looks like exactly what I was looking for, some kind of prescription with very specific instructions. I eat a huge amount of protien now, and I can get sleep for 3 weeks, if I need to.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

You'll probably need a spotter for smolov jr because a lot of people do miss reps, by your tenth tripple your pretty tired. Can't you just ask someone at the gym to spot you whose also working out?

9. globetrotter

yeah, I wouldn't try it without a spotter. I'm going to have to plan this carefully, because usually when I work out (about 6 am) there aren't that many guys in the gym, so I ask random people for help on my last two sets. I have a few thoughts on this.

so, here is what I am thinking - I think that I will shift back to once a week on heavy weights, and then once a week I'm going to work on triceps and do some dumbells with things like flies.

then, the next time I get a chance to be in town for 3 weeks, I'll do smolov jr, and see how that works out.

I think that might move me along.

10. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Be strong in pull-ups and dips. Ideally be at the point where you can do 10 of each exercise easily and you are doing them weighted.

I also think Bench Press should not be done more than twice per week. Don't be a tool and lift in the PLer style, when you are benching under 315.

Also, how far are your hands placed and what line does the bar follow? Having strong triceps also helps, hence weighted dips is should be a mandatory prerequisite for a good bench press.

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

your 1rm is 200 pounds. just keep working out and eating you will break through that plateau. At 200 pounds you really do not have the training time under your belt to start doing advanced techniques.

12. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

summary: 1. lift bar, 2. lower bar, 3. put back

Kidding aside, either get a spotter or work on increasing your squat

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Am confused by this increase your squat stuff, there are significantly more effective exercises for adding mass to your upper back then squats. As far as I know squats are a posterior chain movement, your posterior chain is not below your neck. The squat is not a magical exercise. I increased my squat by 40kg, my bench went up 2.5kg. Yeah you'll put a bit of mass on your upper back from squats, but its not like your moving weight with it during a squat. Your keeping it tight so that the bar has a place to sit and so you don't curve too much. Do rows, face pulls, chins or deadlifts to build a bigger upper back. Back size is not necessarily his problem. He has a pretty low press, it could be his shoulders and triceps, which are lagging.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

This is news to me.

15. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

If your squats are already top notch, then obviously there is little left to gain.

For someone whose sole 6 month goal is to blast his bench bro numbers, then it is quite possible that he is neglecting his squats. You said your squats are bro-matic but your bench sucks, that might be your normal maxed out state.

Personally I don't know the scientific reason why it helped, but it helped me a lot. It's a suggestion