Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Impressive suits on this film

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpallaCamiccia, Apr 11, 2010.

1. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

George Peppard is awesome.

Another old(er) movie that has well dressed men (and women) is Some Like it Hot.

3. Kazou

Kazou Senior member

Not sure who the tailor was but I know that the costume designer was Edith Head. Most likely she either used the studio's in-house tailors to create his suit, or outsourced it. If she did outsource it then there is a smallchance you could find the actual tailors.

4. SpallaCamiccia

George Peppard is awesome. Another old(er) movie that has well dressed men (and women) is Some Like it Hot.
    But not only him, all the charachters are impressively dressed, some cuts are very Kiton like. Even one charachter goes with a V lapel form a striped one who´s cut is the actual one on Armani´s black label, recognisable for the non rounded roll on the lapels, totally ironed to the chest, as a closed book.
    Not sure who the tailor was but I know that the costume designer was Edith Head. Most likely she either used the studio's in-house tailors to create his suit, or outsourced it. If she did outsource it then there is a smallchance you could find the actual tailors.
    So they were artisan tailors, not done for any italian brand of that age? That was the think I wanted to know. Those jackets look totally actual but most re non vented. I ordered the dvd.

5. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Senior member

But not only him, all the charachters are impressively dressed, some cuts are very Kiton like. Even one charachter goes with a V lapel form a striped one who´s cut is the actual one on Armani´s black label, recognisable for the non rounded roll on the lapels, totally ironed to the chest, as a closed book.

[​IMG]

6. repp_fink

repp_fink Well-Known Member

... I know that the costume designer was Edith Head.

I believe you meant to say "the legendary Edith Head." [​IMG]

The original poster's comment brings up exactly the quality that Head achieved in her films; she always emphasized using timeless style and eschewing clothing "fads." This allowed many great movies to remain classics, untainted to the modern eye by dated costumes -- and even, in many cases, to appear quite contemporary ("is that a Tom Ford cut?").

7. Kazou

Kazou Senior member

^hahaha yes! "THE Legendary Edith Head". When will Hollywood ever see someone like that again!

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

9. SpallaCamiccia

I believe you meant to say "the legendary Edith Head." [​IMG]

The original poster's comment brings up exactly the quality that Head achieved in her films; she always emphasized using timeless style and eschewing clothing "fads." This allowed many great movies to remain classics, untainted to the modern eye by dated costumes -- and even, in many cases, to appear quite contemporary ("is that a Tom Ford cut?").

Yes you got what I meant.[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. politico

politico Senior member

I know this thread is about a different film, but I caught American Gangster on TV last night, and Denzel Washington's wardrobe was very SF approved, especially in the face of the ridiculous 70's style he had around him

Very classic and elegant.