Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Impressed by Domenico Spano @ Saks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I've always been a bit hesitant to try Domenico Spano, given that I've often been told he's not a real tailor and simply farms out his work to Adrian Jules.

I was in his store-within-a-store yesterday, and had an opportunity to try on some of his sample coats. Even for a hard to fit person like myself, the coats looked quite good and the quality of construction seemed pretty top-notch. I was also impressed by Spano's style and knowledge.

So, why are the New Yorkers on this board tepid on Spano? Anyone here with real experience with his bespoke product?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

So, why are the New Yorkers on this board tepid on Spano? Anyone here with real experience with his bespoke product?

He's really pushy, he does not always tell the full honest truth about what he sells, the aesthetic is too over-the-top retro, he always trashes whatever you are wearing even if it's perfect, the price is too high for what you get expecially when compared to other options.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

'Spensive.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Too much damned shoulder.

Then again, if what you want is a '40s Hollywood drape suit, he is the only place I know where you can get it.

5. Eustace Tilley

he does not always tell the full honest truth about what he sells

I'd be curious to learn more on this as I'm not that familiar with his business. Could you pls share your thoughts (pm if you prefer).

he always trashes whatever you are wearing even if it's perfect

A fair point. But I've started being much less sensitive about this as I've now dealt with many tailors who trash the competition w/o hesitation.

Interesting side-story: Last August, I walked into the store of a tailor that I hadn't worked with in awhile. Right off the bat, he starts to make snippy little comments on the suit I had on. Happily, I let him go on for 2-3 minutes, before reminding him that he was the one who made it 2 years ago [​IMG]

6. Eustace Tilley

'Spensive.

$4,500, but I can use my Amex points. So the effective price for me would be in the high $3K range. Would you consider it at that price?

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

$4,500, but I can use my Amex points. So the effective price for me would be in the high $3K range. Would you consider it at that price?

Oh, I don't know a lick about the bespoke service. I was speaking more to the accessories he sells. They are often very pretty, and often very high quality, but they're also super-expensive. Last winter he was selling hand-tasseled silk scarves for about a thousand dollars.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

He's too theatrical, cartoony and costume oriented for my idea of well dressed. But that's his schtick, I get it.

9. Eustace Tilley

He's too theatrical, cartoony and costume oriented for my idea of well dressed. But that's his schtick, I get it.

I think one has to disassociate his bow ties, funky shirts and spectators from his suit (not easy, I know). The suits I have seen him in look to be pretty decent.

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

ET...I had Spano make up a suit for me in his (relatively) new soft-shouldered model last year. The cloth was a end of bolt Smith's worsted that was quite lovely and the cost was 65% off regular prices, so I bit.

In the end, the suit is nice but nowhere near the quality of fit that Despos and Raphael have delivered. In fact, my Solito coats are several notches better. I haven't given any thought to returning for another and I wear the suit rarely, if ever.

11. Eustace Tilley

ET...I had Spano make up a suit for me in his (relatively) new soft-shouldered model last year. The cloth was a end of bolt Smith's worsted that was quite lovely and the cost was 65% off regular prices, so I bit.

In the end, the suit is nice but nowhere near the quality of fit that Despos and Raphael have delivered. In fact, my Solito coats are several notches better. I haven't given any thought to returning for another and I wear the suit rarely, if ever.

Thank you Andrew - just the sort of review I was hoping for. Very helpful.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Interesting side-story: Last August, I walked into the store of a tailor that I hadn't worked with in awhile. Right off the bat, he starts to make snippy little comments on the suit I had on. Happily, I let him go on for 2-3 minutes, before reminding him that he was the one who made it 2 years ago [​IMG]

That's awesome. [​IMG]

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you Andrew - just the sort of review I was hoping for. Very helpful.

Glad to help ET. Truth be told ET, it's glorified MTM, no more no less.

14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I think he looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

[​IMG]

- B