• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impractical Clothes in the Real World

alexpham

Reaction score
I was flipping through the Spring/Summer issue of Menswear and read the interview with Narcisco Rodriguez. It featured some of his designs and amid the linen jacket and cotton shorts was a sleeveless white dress shirt. Not your ordinary cup of tea. I have seen the sleeveless shirt a couple of times on the runway but do these pieces ever actually make it into the hands of consumers?

A sleeveless dress shirt seems to have no practical value to me but I can see how it might be useful to a designer hoping to forge and expand their vision on the runway. Hopefully at this moment a man isn't going into Bergdorf's or Barney's and coming back out with a sleeveless dress shirt and tie.
smile.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Anything else but long sleeve with a tie looks bad. End of story.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way to understand the "high" fashion items by obscure designers who are know only to insiders seems to be to take one of the "high" item and combine it with mundane other items from, say, Gap or Walmart. The insiders get it and the great unwashed will never get it. The head to toe look is for the rubes--the terminally unhip. To me, most of it is just ugly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love difficult fashion combined with really old fashioned things, so outdated, they're hip.

Besides, sleeveless dress shirts were worn by Punks, and they probably still do.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've always wanted to wear spats.

stach

Reaction score
Sleeveless yes, dress shirt no.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
The only way to understand the "high" fashion items by obscure designers who are know only to insiders seems to be to take one of the "high" item and combine it with mundane other items from, say, Gap or Walmart. The insiders get it and the great unwashed will never get it. The head to toe look is for the rubes--the terminally unhip. To me, most of it is just ugly.

Narciso is not obscure - he's been a favorite of the hollywood and NY stylemakers (for females) for more than 10 years now.

That said, I think Narciso is horrible - I don't agree with his aesthetic, and obviously his menswear choices are not, um, good.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexpham
A sleeveless dress shirt seems to have no practical value to me

I see so many people in Paris sporting this look. Hmm, I guess it's OK over here. A long sleeved shirt rolled up looks way more cooler IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads