• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Importing wine from France to U.S.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Armagnac distilled on his birth year but recently bottled is another option (I did this for my wife and me but it's only a '71). Dupeyron would be a good choice or Grosperrin cognac - both are available from 1940.

Other bottles with good longevity would be Port or Madeira - they should have little trouble going on 70 years.

Also excellent ideas.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Since spirits don't age in the bottle (at least I think they don't), can you explain the point of vintage Armagnac?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Since spirits don't age in the bottle (at least I think they don't), can you explain the point of vintage Armagnac?
Yeah, most vintage Armagnacs on the market right now were bottled within the last two years. When I visited Darroze, they had a bottle inventory of perhaps 120 bottles, and a massive inventory of barrels, in which the aging continues. They only bottle when they receive an order. Bottling date is always marked.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yeah, most vintage Armagnacs on the market right now were bottled within the last two years. When I visited Darroze, they had a bottle inventory of perhaps 120 bottles, and a massive inventory of barrels, in which the aging continues. They only bottle when they receive an order. Bottling date is always marked.

Ah, OK got it.

Damn, imagine how much of that evaporates!

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bottle of Darozze '71 was bottled in October 2010... 39 years in the cask.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tasted it yet?

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested to know what it's like
smile.gif

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Hey. I'm not a wine expert by any means, but I do happen to be in France (Paris) at the moment. I'm leaving next friday (the 17th) to go back to the states (Boston). If you really can't find anything stateside, I would consider some kind of a proxy involving me buying the wine here and bringing it back in my checked suitcase and then overnight shipping it to you. Let me know.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I'm very interested to know what it's like
smile.gif

It's awesome. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1469 My opinion is that Armagnac is at its peak from 15-45 years old, and that older ones are not as interesting, by and large. I used to search for as old as possible, but then during the trip I describe in the post linked, the owner of Darroze proved me wrong while we tasted 15 or so bottles from 10-70 years old. He actually prefers them even a bit younger, more like 10-30. Not saying that super old ones are not great, but they have a bit less character, IMO. Basically, the best rule of thumb I can give is that you want your Armagnac, ideally, to have just the beginnings of rancio, but to retain youth. Of course, I still think foo should buy the 70 y/o one.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Matt

Oh the joys of living in a country that has not really got over prohibition (but still calls itself the land of the free). forget importing from Europe, when I lived in NYC you could not even get a wine from New Jersey delivered

just get the Cheval Blanc from a NY retailer, contact slewfoot he is a NYC wine dealer. You will take a big gamble buying a wine 70 years old regardless of where you buy it. Wine is a big gamble with no protection if its corked or been layed down in poor conditions. If 1940 is the big issue then find whatever is available locally.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
From Wikipedia Château Cheval Blanc The manager of Château Cheval Blanc, Jacques Hebrard, was outraged at the evaluation of his 1981 vintage barrel samples made by influential wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. and asked him to re-taste. Upon arriving, Parker was attacked by Hebrard's dog as the manager stood idly by and watched. When Parker asked for a bandage to stop the bleeding from his leg, Parker says Hebrard instead gave him a copy of the offending newsletter. Hebrard denies that Parker was bleeding. However, Parker did retaste the wine and found it significantly changed from his previous evaluation, and therefore gave the wine an updated evaluation in a later issue of his publication The Wine Advocate.[3] Wow.. didn't think wine evaluations was serious business

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordwinder
From Wikipedia
Château Cheval Blanc
The manager of Château Cheval Blanc, Jacques Hebrard, was outraged at the evaluation of his 1981 vintage barrel samples made by influential wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. and asked him to re-taste. Upon arriving, Parker was attacked by Hebrard's dog as the manager stood idly by and watched. When Parker asked for a bandage to stop the bleeding from his leg, Parker says Hebrard instead gave him a copy of the offending newsletter. Hebrard denies that Parker was bleeding. However, Parker did retaste the wine and found it significantly changed from his previous evaluation, and therefore gave the wine an updated evaluation in a later issue of his publication The Wine Advocate.[3]

Wow.. didn't think wine evaluations was serious business

Just like black suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads