• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Importing Shoes to USA Using UPS/FedEX

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trojanman74
interesting about customs fraud, now do they take into account retail price or price according to the shipper? and whats the penalties for custom fraud

Sir, is that your girl that you always have as your avatar? She has a great rack! A nips shot would be much appreciated, thanks and have a nice day.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Sir, is that your girl that you always have as your avatar? She has a great rack! A nips shot would be much appreciated, thanks and have a nice day.

tsk, tsk

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
Does Parcel Force also come through the USPS once the package is in the USA?

Not sure. What I did was search for sellers on ebay.UK that offered reasonable shipping to the US. Then asked them how they ship. A nice seller will answer most of your questions from first-hand experience.

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Not sure. What I did was search for sellers on ebay.UK that offered reasonable shipping to the US. Then asked them how they ship. A nice seller will answer most of your questions from first-hand experience.

Great idea! Will try to do so. Thanks, bigbris.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Never! Value is a subjective thing. I may not value what you value. Anyway, pledge, please do not ask anyone to make material misrepresentations to any government agent for the purposes of avoiding tax. I cannot and would not condone that sort of behavior. Nor would I permit anyone to engage in it on my behalf.

You have chosen. . . Wisely.
laugh.gif

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I got hit for custom & duty every time UPS and Fed Ex were involved but never with USPS. The best way is to have co-opearative seller who's willing to declare aand insure a much lesser value.

realizing, of course, that this is asking the seller to commit customs fraud.
This deal really gets me annoyed.....I hope people realize they are potentially putting a seller in a very difficult situation. Like you don't think the shipping services are on to this? If USPS, or Royal Mail, or whoever don't bill for duty and brokerage, lucky you - but it's not correct. Any seller of consequence who intentionally mis-values and lies on a Customs declaration these days is a fool, IMO. I got this yesterdsay:

Hi: Will you ship to Canada by US post (Postal Code K1N 5C6) and declare as a "Gift, Value $25.00"? This will facilitate faster Customs Clearance and I will pay less in duties and taxes. Thanks

I basically said 'no', and that this was dishonest - and illegal; got this back -

Sorry but since the items are used - and we still have to pay exhorbitant duties and taxes (much more than in the US), I thought that it is not a big problem. (Especially when these duties and taxes are used for questoionable purposes by the government).

Thank you very much for your consideration and again I am sorry if I insulted you (as a very honest person).

Funny, really......#1 the shoe is not used, and does not say so, and #2 what would I care how Canada spends duty and Custom's fees?! I don't think I could use that as an argument if the package was stopped/confiscated and I got one of my 3 allowed 'black marks' from H S.

I would hope folks here do not request this sort of thing.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
This deal really gets me annoyed.....I hope people realize they are potentially putting a seller in a very difficult situation. Like you don't think the shipping services are on to this? If USPS, or Royal Mail, or whoever don't bill for duty and brokerage, lucky you - but it's not correct. Any seller of consequence who intentionally mis-values and lies on a Customs declaration these days is a fool, IMO. I got this yesterdsay:

Hi: Will you ship to Canada by US post (Postal Code K1N 5C6) and declare as a "Gift, Value $25.00"? This will facilitate faster Customs Clearance and I will pay less in duties and taxes. Thanks

I basically said 'no', and that this was dishonest - and illegal; got this back -

Sorry but since the items are used - and we still have to pay exhorbitant duties and taxes (much more than in the US), I thought that it is not a big problem. (Especially when these duties and taxes are used for questoionable purposes by the government).

Thank you very much for your consideration and again I am sorry if I insulted you (as a very honest person).

Funny, really......#1 the shoe is not used, and does not say so, and #2 what would I care how Canada spends duty and Custom's fees?! I don't think I could use that as an argument if the package was stopped/confiscated and I got one of my 3 allowed 'black marks' from H S.

I would hope folks here do not request this sort of thing.

Rider, I agree with you 100%.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Royal Mail and its parcel branch Parcel Force appear to be much less likely to be inspected for duty by Customs. Just an observation.

+1

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got this yesterdsay:

"Oh hai. Pls lie 2 customz kthxbai."

"PS: deeclared value = 1 cheezburger."

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my customs duty yesterday from dhl, 6 months after shoes arrived (back in December of 2007). I thought I had gotten lucky, or it had slipped through the cracks. That was a bit of a bummer.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This deal really gets me annoyed.....I hope people realize they are potentially putting a seller in a very difficult situation.

The customs form only asks for "value". It does not specify,
whether this is the wholesale or the retail value.

If a seller enters his cost price, as that is what it would cost him
to replace the item were it to get lost, that would be totally correct.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The value assessed by customs is the price you paid as an importer - not the retail price, or wholesale price. I've had sellers leave tags on a $2,000 jacket that I paid $150 for on eBay and get assessed $300 in import duties
plain.gif
. I then have to go through the hassle of mailing in a form with my eBay receipt showing how much I paid to get a refund.

RE: customs fraud... the only thing the government does if they decide to open the package and reassess the value of the item is simply demand payment from the importer in order to release the goods or they are sent back to the exporter. All the government wants is the extra $, they never go after sellers who misrepresent value on a package.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
The customs form only asks for "value". It does not specify,
whether this is the wholesale or the retail value.

If a seller enters his cost price, as that is what it would cost him
to replace the item were it to get lost, that would be totally correct.

Not at all - all WTO countries recognize the 'transaction value method' for value. Value is what you pay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads