• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Important question about brown

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The ebony fighter awakens, dabbled with the dewy beads of morn.

It is a mach-5 child, forever bound to suckle from the shriveled breast of congress.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't forget the bespoke Cleverley Russian calfs worn by Billy Ray and Boo as they ambush lost Northerners along lonely mountain rivers. [ begin festive-yet-frightening banjo plucking ]
Actually, the men who were ambushed in 'Deliverance' were also southerners, but they were "city slickers." Â Further, I'm pretty sure the mountain men were wearing chestnut antique Edward Greens. Â And they weren't bespoke - too fancy.
the inbred boy playing the banjo was wearing a pair of vass split toe norwiegans, in pebbled brown calf.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those words don't offend me as a white person, so I didn't even think about it to be honest. I guess it's not really my job to decide for all white people, but it really doesn't even make a blip in my radar at this point. If someone cares, he will have to mention it to me.

Cliff

Reaction score
(JBZ @ June 27 2005,12:03) Quote Don't forget the bespoke Cleverley Russian calfs worn by Billy Ray and Boo as they ambush lost Northerners along lonely mountain rivers. [ begin festive-yet-frightening banjo plucking ]
Actually, the men who were ambushed in 'Deliverance' were also southerners, but they were "city slickers." Â Further, I'm pretty sure the mountain men were wearing chestnut antique Edward Greens. Â And they weren't bespoke - too fancy.
the inbred boy playing the banjo was wearing a pair of vass split toe norwiegans, in pebbled brown calf.[/quote]
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still, it's pretty hard to take the term "**********" seriously in this day and age.  
"**********" is still pretty common in prison circles. I can remember there was a race riot (blacks vs. whites) in which the blacks were shouting, "Get the woods." I had to explain to a friend that "woods" was obviously a contraction of "peckerwoods."

There is also a white prison gang called the **********. It is below the Aryan Brotherhood in the hierarchy of white racist prison gangs (Is that a tautology? I don't know of any non-racist white prison gangs.) and serves as a recruiting ground for the latter. The elite of the ********** are invited to join the AB.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course I stand behind the whole brown is for farmer thing. However, I've begun to wonder if this isn't just Ern's way of trying to distance himself from his roots? I have difficultly imagining Ern being either a bourgois or a boheme. After all, he's not the sort to drink, smoke, eat find foods, or be plagued by that wonderful French quality of having grand idees. He is rather pragmatic in his way -- a sort of empiricist. LIke the English. I have a feeling that his brown is for farmer pronouncement is just a clever ruse for distancing himself from the countryside, of which he is a product.

If my theory is wrong, then I shall of course recant.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine Ernest's ancestors to be more of the kind one would find in a Zola novel.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I imagine Ernest's ancestors to be more of the kind one would find in a Zola novel.
LOL

ernest = lantier

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The elite of the ********** are invited to join the AB.
Dare to dream... Â Â
sad.gif

I hope their club tie isn't like A or F...I really like those.

tangerine

Reaction score
Ah, the holy grail of Ernest lore... can this be stickied?

kidding.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnynorman3
I've never personally seen a ********** wearing brown shoes.

In any event, it's really silly to relegate shoes to one color. What is the logic behind it? Certainly a pair of cream wool pants look a bit odd with black, right? Would you wear only black leather watch straps?

I see pecker woods in brown shoes all the time
It's just a white person

EDIT: Should read the entire thread next time g'yuk

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have a return visitor!

jmatt

Reaction score
Wow!!! Is this the origin of "brown is for farmer"?

I thought this thread was just the stuff of legend.

Brown is as brown does!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads