• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Importance of Free Returns

nvclothing

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am just curious about how important you feel free returns are. I offer free shipping to my customers but not free returns at this time. I wonder if people would be reluctant to buy from me knowing if the item does not work out, they will have to pay to send it back.

So I guess, please tell me if you:

A: Only buy from website that offer free shipping and returns
B: Prefer websites that offer free returns, but don't require it
C: Don't pay attention to free returns
D: Other, please explain

I appreciate any feedback you all offer!

Sean

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be clear you are talking about return shipping not charging a 'restocking' fee for a returned item, correct?
FWIW, RL charges for return shipping.
Most retailers do.

nvclothing

Reaction score
I am referring to the retailer paying for the item to be returned, not a restocking fee. The cost of selling on the internet is high enough without paying for return shipping too, so I would rather not do it if it's not necessary.

maf

Reaction score
I feel like paid return shipping is lagniappe, and I also know the cost has to be covered somehow by the merchant. I'd rather pay for it if I use it and get the best possible price otherwise.

Restocking fees, unless they're only for returns after a reasonable try-on period irritate me. I guess they prevent oddballs from placing huge orders and returning everything. Allowing people to try clothes on for free just seems like good business, but shipping costs money and everybody knows it.

I appreciate a merchant who provides their return label and bills me for it since I know they get better shipping rates than me.

spence

Reaction score
I can't imagine supporting free return shipping unless you had the mega volume of say a Zappos selling at near retail prices where you can just work it into your business model.

For me more important factors are response time and a solid return policy.

-spence

nvclothing

Reaction score
Here's my return policy. Anything in here you would consider "not solid?"

We will accept returns and exchanges on items that have not been worn, altered, washed or soiled, and all tags must be intact. Item(s) must be returned within 14 days of purchase in order to receive credit. Footwear returns and exchanges must include the original shoe box in its original condition and without postal labels. Damages to or omission of this box from your return/exchange may result in a fee. Intimates are final sale and may not be returned. Please call 847-381-3348 to request a return authorization number. The return authorization number should be written on the outside of the returned package.

Sale items are final sale

International sales are final

moosy

Reaction score
I think 14 days from sale is a bit harsh for an internet sale - I would consider changing it to 14 days from receiving the item.

I think in general many retailters overestimate how many returns they will get and underestimate the fact that most people who would not consider returnin an item feel it is important to have that option.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nvclothing
Here's my return policy. Anything in here you would consider "not solid?"

We will accept returns and exchanges on items that have not been worn, altered, washed or soiled, and all tags must be intact. Item(s) must be returned within 14 days of purchase in order to receive credit. Footwear returns and exchanges must include the original shoe box in its original condition and without postal labels. Damages to or omission of this box from your return/exchange may result in a fee. Intimates are final sale and may not be returned. Please call 847-381-3348 to request a return authorization number. The return authorization number should be written on the outside of the returned package.

Sale items are final sale

International sales are final

I think that's pretty fair, although I agree that 14 days is a bit tight.

-spence

nvclothing

Reaction score
thanks guys. I really appreciate all of your feedback. I am working very hard to make my website as customer friendly as I can. Any other feedback is welcome also.

Is there anything about my website that would prevent you from buying from me?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nvclothing
Is there anything about my website that would prevent you from buying from me?

Only since you asked. . .

Nothing personal but I don't like the stuff you sell.
I don't think there's anything on your site I would buy.
Is that what people wear in NV?

You should think about a better (professional?) photographer.
A simpler alternative would be to either get more models or crop the heads off (and just show the clothes).
Seeing the same guy over and over again is painful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads