• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imitations by Target

captainmo

Reaction score
I went to Target the other day and found some long sleeve Merona shirts. They were really similar to the J Crew t shirts linked below, with a broken-in wash. I was actually wearing a J Crew shirt (but cuffless, not on the website anymore) when I found them. The target shirt is 50% cotton, 50% polyester, but feels just like the J Crew one. It was also tagged, and fits like, an athletic cut. I actually like the target shirt more, because the sleeves on the J crew T are a little too long. The J Crew was originally tagged ~$30, but I got it on sale with a student discount, came out to $11.xx. I bought two from target at $10.99 each. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9214/79214.jsp Any other instances of Target selling things really similar to better brands?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A long-sleeve t-shirt without a pocket, garment-washed. I fail to see how this is an imitation of a "better" brand.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a t-shirt there once that was just like the AA one I was wearing--short sleeves, cotton, stitching, tag--exact copy of AA. They are sneaky like that.

obeserabbit

Reaction score
i bought some merona shirts on ebay for really cheap, just curious to see the fit/quality after hearing about them

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I found a t-shirt there once that was just like the AA one I was wearing--short sleeves, cotton, stitching, tag--exact copy of AA. They are sneaky like that.

To be fair, Target t-shirts don't have tags.
smile.gif

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
This was years ago, before they started copying Hanes.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
lets not turn this into a '**** talking about target' thread.

but... the entire Merona line is geared at people who tend to shop at BR,JC,and Gap.

Converse One Star is for people who want something slightly cheaper than GAP

and all the collabs with designers are to attract people interested in clothing into the store long enough that they pass the groceries and impulse buy cheatos.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of good friends work at the Target headquarters here in Minneapolis and they've told me that the company purchases mid-level and high end clothing to design their "Merona" and other in-store labels after. They then donate these "samples" to charitys.

I've come across everything from J.Crew, BR, AA and Gap to Nice Collective, Umii 908, Steven Alan and Tim Hamilton. They use a lot of obscure european labels as well.

In one instance I purchased a Fred Perry polo from the charity that had a sticky note that said "Use fabric". I was curious and wandered into a Target store a couple months later to see a Mossimo (or Merona) polo with the exact same pattern/colors.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
A couple of good friends work at the Target headquarters here in Minneapolis and they've told me that the company purchases mid-level and high end clothing to design their "Merona" and other in-store labels after. They then donate these "samples" to charitys.

I've come across everything from J.Crew, BR, AA and Gap to Nice Collective, Umii 908, Steven Alan and Tim Hamilton. They use a lot of obscure european labels as well.

In one instance I purchased a Fred Perry polo from the charity that had a sticky note that said "Use fabric". I was curious and wandered into a Target store a couple months later to see a Mossimo (or Merona) polo with the exact same pattern/colors.

laugh.gif
Interesting!

hamm23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku

Where do they donate the clothes to?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamm23
Where do they donate the clothes to?

He won't tell you, doesn't want to blow up his spot

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patterned OCBDs aren't exactly a new concept, but the "Shirting By Merona" labels in the new Meronas are pretty clearly J. Crew rips. Nice enough shirts on the cheap.

2sweet

Reaction score
Well, whatever they're doing, they're doing it right. I picked up a bunch of stuff this weekend. The quality, given the price is extraordinary. Every single sweater you'll buy at Target is not only 1/2 to 1/3 the price of what you would pay at a place like The Gap, the cut is infinitely more flattering, and the quality of materials is just as good if not superior.

10-11 years ago, the quality of apparel at Target was laughably bad, while a place like the Gap was rock solid for price and quality. Now, Target's quality is astonishingly high for the price, and The Gap is literally an embarrassment.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I've heard that Target donates samples and overstocks to charities as well. I think they do it as part of their community involvement initiatives and to bury the evidence...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads