• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imitation Watches?

BigRob

Reaction score
I've read that replicators can construct watches so fine that there's literally no way to tell without taking the watch apart. They can run for a few hundred dollars.

Does anyone have experience with purchasing such a watch?

Last edited:

Connorh

Reaction score
Whoever you heard that from was telling you BS. Watchmakers put in hundreds of engineering and manufacturing hours to come up with an original design. They will also be able to service the watch, unlike a cheap company copying their design.

How about you start with a lower dollar watch, and then step up to something better once you have saved more. You're basically saying you want to wear something fake, which I am totally against (fake watches are for fake people).

How about a nice seiko, tag, tissot, etc. for now. Then get whatever you want later on.

BigRob

Reaction score
Whoever you heard that from was telling you BS. Watchmakers put in hundreds of engineering and manufacturing hours to come up with an original design. They will also be able to service the watch, unlike a cheap company copying their design.

How about you start with a lower dollar watch, and then step up to something better once you have saved more. You're basically saying you want to wear something fake, which I am totally against (fake watches are for fake people).

How about a nice seiko, tag, tissot, etc. for now. Then get whatever you want later on.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I would still like to hear from someone who has purchased a higher-end replica.

Last edited:

bgp001

Reaction score
If you care about quality rather than brand as you say, why are you buying a fake brand name watch?
baldy[1].gif

unlearnt

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're talking about homage

StephenB

Reaction score
The only time you may get even close to the quality for the real watch are certain "homage" manufacturers but they still come with a hefty price (but do your research because you dont want to get scammed by buying a crappy fake watch that just calls itself a homage). Otherwise fake watch makers use old outdated machinery and technology to make their crappy watches.

Whoever told you that is smoking crack.

BigRob

Reaction score
Thank you for your concern, but I want to hear from people who have experience, not horses. (Nay-sayers.)

Expensive watches tend to look attractive. They have nicely arranged faces and aesthetically pleasing designs. They also tend to feel nice. They're hefty and substantial. Are there watches that replicate one of these watches, down to the same materials and construction (to the extent that no difference is noticeable), for 5% of the price?

Last edited:

StephenB

Reaction score
So you think a Chopard watch cost to manufacture is less than 5% of the purchase price?

StephenB

Reaction score
Why would a "fake" watch manufacture use all the same materials and construction techniques then sell if for 5% of his competitors? Why not slap his own brand on it and sell it for more? At that point its no longer "fake" and just a "value brand". But you don't want that, you want a fake watch somehow made in the exact way as the real one for 5% of the cost...Not sure if real, or just trolling.

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score
Why would a "fake" watch manufacture use all the same materials and construction techniques then sell if for 5% of his competitors? Why not slap his own brand on it and sell it for more? At that point its no longer "fake" and just a "value brand". But you don't want that, you want a fake watch somehow made in the exact way as the real one for 5% of the cost...Not sure if real, or just trolling.

5% is a figure I made an educated guess about, but, yes, the gold, steel, crystal, and labor necessary to create a $20,000 watch is nowhere near $2,000 - let alone $20,000.

Advertisement, research and development, huge overhead (i.e. retail stores in Manhattan), and a massive, disproportionate, unexplainable/untied-to-cost price inflation on top of that; that's where the cost of a non-replica watch goes. Whereas with a replica watch you pay for material, labor, bare bones overhead, and a pencil-thin profit margin (due to actual competition) - and you get the same product.

At least, that's my understanding of it, based upon an hour of reading Google results on the subject.

Last edited:

dimitrioup

Reaction score
Actually if its a gold watch u want then the gold alone will cost a couple thousand

BigRob

Reaction score
Then I guess I don't want a gold watch replica.

Unless...

Is there a way to tell the difference between solid gold and gold plated?

[e] A quick Google search tells me that there is no difference in appearance, but poorly gold plated jewelry is susceptible to chipping or cracking. Higher-quality gold plated jewelry has several layers of gold plating that makes it better, and there also exists a method called "gold filling," which is more durable still.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-the...old-and-Plated-Gold-/10000000177633042/g.html
http://www.gildenscript.com/filled.htm

Gold watch replicas are back on the table.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads