• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imitation buttonholes --> working buttonholes

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
so even if there are faux buttons they can make button holes at JE? Im assuming they wont tailor the sleeve, just make button holes and then you have to go get the rest done?

When I called they said you would have to bring in the jacket with the buttons removed, then they would do the buttonholes. I'm assuming you would then leave with the jacket & do the buttons yourself at home which is what I will do.

BTW, do you have box for the Church's?

moon unit

Reaction score
How skilled/experienced would a tailor have to be to make the buttonholes functional on a new suit? The sleeves are unfinished. Do you think a tailor at a high-end department store such as NM would be qualified to do a proper job?

Thanks

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moon unit
How skilled/experienced would a tailor have to be to make the buttonholes functional on a new suit? The sleeves are unfinished. Do you think a tailor at a high-end department store such as NM would be qualified to do a proper job?

Thanks

yup, they do jobs like that all the time.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Jonathan's Embroidery ($1 per hole).

My boss today told me to go to JE and to get some real buttonholes put on a sample that the factory fucked up. They did a great job.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Has anyone found problems when tailoring a jacket with working buttonholes??? I've had two different jackets with working buttonholes that my tailor was unable to shorten the sleeves because of the buttonholes.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Has anyone found problems when tailoring a jacket with working buttonholes??? I've had two different jackets with working buttonholes that my tailor was unable to shorten the sleeves because of the buttonholes.

You have to find somebody who can shorten your jacket from the shoulder.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75

It will be a pain **********. Like said before, it will have to be done from the shoulder. Make sure you have a very competent tailor.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm having my favorite sportcoat fitted with working buttonholes right now, want to complete the look. Its RL polo II.

I'll post some close ups when its finished next tuesday.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i'm having my favorite sportcoat fitted with working buttonholes right now, want to complete the look. Its RL polo II.

I'll post some close ups when its finished next tuesday.

My RL sleeves aren't finished for working buttons...how did you manage to get this one to work?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
So what can you actually do with the working buttonholes, roll the jacket sleeve? Just leave them open? How does that work / look? Very curious because I'm all proud & happy about getting a new suit that has . . . working buttonholes. Thanks.

Put a small flower in each hole.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
My RL sleeves aren't finished for working buttons...how did you manage to get this one to work?

My tailor is doing it, just because they arent basted from the factory doesnt mean they cant be turned into working buttons.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
My tailor is doing it, just because they arent basted from the factory doesnt mean they cant be turned into working buttons.

Actually, factory-basted unfinished sleeves are much better than sleeves finished with faux buttonholes for this. T

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
probably, but i cant do to much about that now can i?

I wanted the sleeves taken up a hair, and decided while doing that i might as well have the sleeves made into working buttons as well.

Mazderati

Reaction score
The following pictures show the top, bottom, and inside of a suit sleeve with non-functional buttonholes. My untrained eye believes the existing buttons could be detached from the upper portion of the cuff, the buttonholes cut open, the inner sleeve lining properly split, and the buttons reattached to the lower portion of the cuff. Given the stitching of buttonholes seems to be the biggest barrier into functional cuffs, adding functional cuffs to this particular sleeve seems relatively easy. True?

Buttonholes from the top.

dTPMQ.jpg

Buttonholes from the bottom.

FPzuP.jpg

Inner sleeve.

4MQn5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads