• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm wearing my white linen SC tomorrow (12/22), just try and talk me out of it.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I know I'm not Luciano Barbera, but I like the idea of a white jacket in winter. I'll be pairing my white linen db jacket with a Navy Bengal Stripe FC shirt, brown and creme stripe cash tie, and light grey LP flannels. Prob will wear my cigar LWBs, and if cold enough, a VNeck sweater (light brown perhaps).

Thoughts...

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it! I'm totally going to get those white flannel pants and cash sweater I went on about some time ago.

Ice cream man? I think not.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Life is not a dress rehearsal and this is very well thought out, indeed. ******* go for it!

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYR where in brooklyn are you

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
OK, I know I'm not Luciano Barbera, but I like the idea of a white jacket in winter. I'll be pairing my white linen db jacket with a Navy Bengal Stripe FC shirt, brown and creme stripe cash tie, and light grey LP flannels. Prob will wear my cigar LWBs, and if cold enough, a VNeck sweater (light brown perhaps).

Thoughts...

More contrast between jacket and trousers: less contrast between shirt and jacket.
How about Navy trousers and solid pastel shirt?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
NYR where in brooklyn are you

East Staten Island, er I mean Bay Ridge.

Originally Posted by Coburn
More contrast between jacket and trousers: less contrast between shirt and jacket.
How about Navy trousers and solid pastel shirt?

I think that would be too tropical...I want to try and keep the colors more somber and "wintery". The Navy/brown/grey accomplish this I think.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it as long as linen keeps you warm enough.

dv_indian

Reaction score
If weather permits go for it! And please post pics.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The linen part seems odd to me. White I can imagine, white linen not so much. Maybe if it's very heavy linen.

I wonder about the longwings too -- seems like the sort of look that requires something more elegant. One disparate element is engaging, more than one confusing.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Like Doc said, it sounds too schizo with the white linen and the longwings. I can maybe see white flannel pants and gray or navy jacket in winter, but a white jacket just says summertime to me.

But, it's always fun to see what you come up with. You're more adventurous than I.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rules are meant to be broken. Sometimes in cold weather I'll wear seersucker underneath a tweed sportcoat if I know I'm going to be at a hot restaurant or packed party that will be warm. Just do whatever you feel like as long as you're comfortable, regardless of weather.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
To me, white is just as much a colour of snow as it is of the sun. Seriously, worrying about whether it's the right time of year to wear white is a little silly nowadays. When it comes to the weather, IMO fabric and cut matters so much more i.e thicker fabrics for cold, less layers in warm weather, shorts only when warm etc. Some colours are seasonal, but I'd say that there aren't much outside of pastels, which of course are summer-only.
tl;dr unless you freeze in that jacket, DO IT!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads