• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Thinking About Quitting Bad Sugars...

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about losing the sugar from my diet. I don't eat poorly but I do eat a lot of sugar / candy / sweets. I excercise regularly but I think sugar keeps me from being as svelte physically as I could be
sarcasm.gif
and keeps some extra weight on that I don't need. I also see the negative effects of the highs and lows and how too much sugar can lead to diabetes and other diseases. My family has a history of diabetes (mother and uncle - mother's brother) I have a really good cookbook which I've used several times called The Good Carb Cookboo, and it's amazing when cooking without "bad carbs" how one doesn't get sleepy or lethargic after eating. I'm not really clear on what sugars are good and bad. Refined sugars / foods are not good for you but what about fruit juice with no added sugar? Anyone else doing something similar? Edit: I almost forgot, I am allergic to many raw fruits (oranges, apples, peaches, plums) but I can run them through a juicer and be ok or eat them in juice or cooked form. Why? No idea but it would be nice to use them as sweets instead of candy or cookies. I just can't really do it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Fruit juice is sugar. It's actually more sugary/calorie dense than soda in most cases. Fruit juice is simply sugar. It's fructose, which is naturally occuring, but it's still sugar and not different from a can of coke. If you want vitamins, then eat the real fruit and skip the processed juice.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
No such thing as 'bad carbs' or 'bad sugars'. Fruit is healthier than candy, but fructose is no better than sucrose. It's everything else that's in it, too. Juicing whole fruit, if you can with your allergy, is the best way to get more complete nutrients.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep out most refined sugars, except for after workouts when I sometimes have no choice.

I think the lack of sluggishness etc after meals without 'bad carbs' is to some extent the placebo affect, but there certainly will be some difference.

I'm not sure of a full list of refined sugars (and the products that have them), but I am sure you could get a good idea by a few google searches.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Refined sugars / foods are not good for you but what about fruit juice with no added sugar?

You need the fiber in fruit to keep it from being the equivalent of drinking pop. If you're drinking OJ, get the kind with the pulp. I guess if that would trigger your allergies, then definitely skip it. Still, fresh fruit juice is still natural, as opposed to high fructose corn syrup.

Rand B

Reaction score
Tck13,

Fructose will promote fat accumulation (especially visceral) to a greater degree than glucose—low glycemic index notwithstanding—via bypassing normal metabolic channels for sugar/starch digestion. There were times when this would have been evolutionarily advantageous, but that’s beyond the scope of the discussion.

With a family history of Diabetes, I would invest in a glucose tolerance test. Ideal readings would yield, among others, a fasting insulin level of <4 uIU/mL and fasting glucose of perhaps 85 mg/dL, though the "average" values typically come closer to 10 uIU/mL and 100 mg/dL, respectively. If your measurements substantially exceed these, I'd recommend adjusting your active carbohydrate level to within 50-150 g/day, with a minimum of 25 g of fiber. (Fiber delays gastric emptying, blunting the insulin response to carbohydrate ingestion.)

Though as you say that juicing allows you to eat raw fruit with no issues, I wonder if you may have existing IBS issues being exacerbated by the insoluble fiber content of the fruits.

R.B.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might try Stevia, an herbal sweetener.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet

+1. I'd endorse stevia as a good option. Though I only use it as a sugar replacement in coffee.

breakdown

Reaction score
I find that cutting out the sweets has been the easiest part of maintaining a more cut physique. But then again, I have never been big on sweets, aside from a weakness for ice cream and that whole family of cold desserts.

When I do sweeten something like coffee, oatmeal, or yogurt I like to use something natural, like honey.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet

+8. Its natural and has a much better taste then Splenda.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stevia ****************.

IBS is not an allergy to food.

Rand B

Reaction score
To:

Why (should I bother actually reading the posts?),

Speak blunt. It's my way vis-a-vis. But don't confuse my words publicly.

Now. "Allergy" means different things to different people. A true food allergy is an immune response to specific protein(s). It is not a function of the fiber status* (i.e., either removing via juicing or breaking down by cooking will not bring amelioration, as Tck13 states in his case).

Gluten proteins (from wheat products, *allowed residual in commercial dextrin fiber supplements, etc.) can produce allergic response and are, at best, strongly correlated with IBS disorders and are, at worst, causal. Asthe nature of his reaction was not defined, and IBS complaints are a well-documented result of food intolerance, I questioned if IBS played a part im his symptoms.

R.B.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rand B
But don't confuse my words publicly.
Don't assume I did. I was elaborating.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rand B
Tck13,

With a family history of Diabetes, I would invest in a glucose tolerance test. Ideal readings would yield, among others, a fasting insulin level of <4 uIU/mL and fasting glucose of perhaps 85 mg/dL, though the "average" values typically come closer to 10 uIU/mL and 100 mg/dL, respectively. If your measurements substantially exceed these, I'd recommend adjusting your active carbohydrate level to within 50-150 g/day, with a minimum of 25 g of fiber. (Fiber delays gastric emptying, blunting the insulin response to carbohydrate ingestion.)

Though as you say that juicing allows you to eat raw fruit with no issues, I wonder if you may have existing IBS issues being exacerbated by the insoluble fiber content of the fruits.

R.B.

This sounds / looks like an all day test, or at least testing at various times?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads