• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm skinny-fat

Patrician

Reaction score
Skip the Subway ****, the cookies and of course the mother of all fat kids - the soda.

Eat sallad for lunch
smile.gif
...drink water.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by specialblend
Yep, Skinny-Fat. I'm 168lbs and 5'11" I'm happy with my build but i can't shake this damn pot belly. I can pinch about an inch and a half of fat on my waist and i'm really self conscious about it. I'd like to lose it and 8-10 pounds here but it seems impossible to do. Where its really a problem is the beach, with my shirt off its like I have a different body altogether from when i'm wearing clothes. I'm 32 waist and 38 jacket and clothes covers up this little trouble spot no problem but it still bugs me.

I exercise regularly, swim three times a week and I snowboard two times a week in the winter season. So its not as if I'm inactive. But I am averse to weight training, just never got into it because i've never had anyone help me get started and show me what to do. I'd really like to avoid paying a physical trainer or expensive gym fees, my pool also has a weight room but I never use it. So I don't really have big biceps or pecs.

I think my problem must be diet related but I don't know what it is about my diet thats doing this to me! I eat a normal diet but I avoid fruits(too sour) so I just take vitamins to replace them. So I just don't know what i'm doing wrong here.

Any ideas or tips?

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm 5'9" 135 lbs and my pot belly is starting to show (although I love fruits, it's difficult to make sure I get enough in college, and I never work out). I'll probably start running over winter break.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood questions like this. People act as if there's some sort of secret to attaing a great body. Their excuse for not having a decent build is they can't unlock the hidden secrets of fitness (not talking about the op, just in general)

Hit the gym hard and eat the right diet for your goals. This has been the answer forever, and will always be the answer.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys are really that lazy to not be able to stick to a diet, just follow these guidelines: eat more protein and less sugar. If you can't get to a gym, do burpees, find a high branch and do pullups, sprint, jog, and maybe some other callisthenics.

It's not that hard.

Despot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

It's not that hard.

...when you have nothing else to do.

cosep69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by specialblend
Yep, Skinny-Fat. I'm 168lbs and 5'11" I'm happy with my build but i can't shake this damn pot belly. I can pinch about an inch and a half of fat on my waist and i'm really self conscious about it. I'd like to lose it and 8-10 pounds here but it seems impossible to do. Where its really a problem is the beach, with my shirt off its like I have a different body altogether from when i'm wearing clothes. I'm 32 waist and 38 jacket and clothes covers up this little trouble spot no problem but it still bugs me.

I exercise regularly, swim three times a week and I snowboard two times a week in the winter season. So its not as if I'm inactive. But I am averse to weight training, just never got into it because i've never had anyone help me get started and show me what to do. I'd really like to avoid paying a physical trainer or expensive gym fees, my pool also has a weight room but I never use it. So I don't really have big biceps or pecs.

I think my problem must be diet related but I don't know what it is about my diet thats doing this to me! I eat a normal diet but I avoid fruits(too sour) so I just take vitamins to replace them. So I just don't know what i'm doing wrong here.

Any ideas or tips?

lipo and exercise..the best option..
biggrin.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot

I get so sick of hearing this excuse. It's about priorities. If you choose to make other things in your life a priority over exercise, that's fine-just don't ***** and moan when you don't have the body you want. I know one thing, you'd have to be pretty busy to never have time to exercise for 2-3 hours a week total. I've had friends who worked full time while in grad school who had incredible builds and were very dedicated to the sport.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As others have mentioned, controlling your diet and doing some level of exercise is what's needed. It takes about 1/2 hour a day to ensure that you plan out your days meals and pack them to take with you to work/school/whatever. In addition, it takes me about an hour a day to work out. If you don't have 1.5 hours a day to spare for your body, then perhaps in the grand scheme of things this isn't a high priority. That's not necessarily wrong unless you are impacting your health by being grossly overweight. Lots of perfectly normal people are a bit chubby and losing the last few pounds to get shredded is not a high priority in their lives - nothing wrong with that. But with a small investment of time, you can get there. It isn't rocket science.

98Percent

Reaction score
First of all, the best thing that you can possibly do is to track your calories and food intake. There are some really great websites out there, such as FitDay and DailyPlate that make this very easy.

You want to make sure that you get plenty of sleep (8+ hours) and then start researching a workout plan that will help you put on some lean muscle size.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone is serious about losing weight and trimming excess fat, this is what they need to do: 1. Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) using this website: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. Your BMR is the minimum number of calories your body needs to maintain bodily functions. 2. Calculate your Daiy Calorie Needs. This is usually your BMR multiplied by a factor: 1.2 if you are sedentary, 1.375 if you are moderately active, 1.5 if you are super active. Most people would be either 1.2 or 1.375. This number is the number of calories your body needs per day. 3. Use a site like fitday.com to keep track of what you eat. Be honest and write down everything. It takes a bit of effort when you get started but after a while, it will literally take you just a few minutes a day. You will be surprised a) how many calories you really eat (almost certainly more than your daily needs for most people who lead sedentary lifestyles and have trouble losing weight). 4. If you need to lose weight, use the site to cut down your calories to about 500 calories less than your daily needs. This will mean that in 1 week, you will consume 3500 calories less than you need. This equates to about 1 pound of weight loss per week. 5. Since nobody wants to lose muscle, you need to keep your protein intake high. Keep your carbs relatively low, say no more than 30-40% of your total calories. Make sure your carbs come from whole grains - oatmeal, brown rice, yams, sweet potatoes, etc., NOT white rice, pasta, white bread, etc. Absolutely ditch the sugar and soft drinks - they are the devil in this business. Fitday.com will allow you to keep track of all of this, so it is indispensable. 6. Pack lunches. Eating out is a surefire way to a) eat too much b) eat the wrong kinds of food and c) not be able to track what you eat. 7. Eat several small meals a day. This means splitting your 1 daytime meal into 3 or 4 meals. 8. Drink plenty of water. A gallon a day is a good number to shoot for. Most people drink way too less. If your urine is not white or at least pale yellow, you are drinking too little water. 9. Eat plenty of green vegetables. 10. Do not eat carbs after about 7-8pm, assuming you go to bed between 10 and midnight. 11. Add a reasonable amount of weight training and aerobic training into your schedule. If you follow these and be honest about keeping track of your diet, the weight will come off. There are more sophisticated things like carb cycling, ketogenic diets, etc. to get your to the sub 10% BF range, i.e. bodybuilding competition level, but that's much later.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea this excuse doesn't really fly. You have to make doing the work a priority, not necessarily time wise, but mentally. If I go to school from 8-11 AM, then go to work from 1-9 PM those are obligations I can't really skip. So I make getting to the gym the same. From the moment I wake up in the morning I know that at 10 PM I'll be at the gym, I don't have an option and just go. And when I'm done I feel much better for it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of these threads do we need?

If I see 'six small meals a day' and 'brown rice' again I'll get mad at my computer and be more of an ass on the forum.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
How many of these threads do we need? If I see 'six small meals a day' and 'brown rice' again I'll get mad at my computer and be more of an ass on the forum.
Heh. It worries me that I've been agreeing with you a bit more recently. Just curious to see what you think, if someone does get great results doing the six small meals per day thing, and they're taking in a lot more calories than normal doing so, what do you think the mechanism at work is? Now that I know it isn't due to increased metabolism, I really don't understand how it actually gets people positive results. (losing fat.)

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Just curious to see what you think, if someone does get great results doing the six small meals per day thing, and they're taking in a lot more calories than normal doing so, what do you think the mechanism at work is? Now that I know it isn't due to increased metabolism, I really don't understand how it actually gets people positive results. (losing fat.)
Most people start eating six small meals a day when they begin committing to exercising and eating better. In my experience, most people are oblivious to the world around them and even in today's modern secular society people still tend to 'believe' things and can't look at situations logically. Six small meals a day isn't science, it's workout voodoo passed down from big guys with small stomachs and needle pricks in their asses.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
As others have mentioned, controlling your diet and doing some level of exercise is what's needed. It takes about 1/2 hour a day to ensure that you plan out your days meals and pack them to take with you to work/school/whatever. In addition, it takes me about an hour a day to work out. If you don't have 1.5 hours a day to spare for your body, then perhaps in the grand scheme of things this isn't a high priority. That's not necessarily wrong unless you are impacting your health by being grossly overweight. Lots of perfectly normal people are a bit chubby and losing the last few pounds to get shredded is not a high priority in their lives - nothing wrong with that. But with a small investment of time, you can get there. It isn't rocket science.
Exactly. If you're strapped for time, you don't even need an hour to work out. I've gone for quite awhile with blasting out quick 30 minutes workouts either by doing some type of high intensity calisthenics, going through my normal lifting routine with decreased rest time and weight, or just going for a jog. If you go from a sedentary life style to doing that 3-4 times a week and get your diet in at least marginal order, you will see results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads