1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm skinny-fat

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by specialblend, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Robert

Robert Senior member

Mismgt, I was in your situation about a year ago. 6.1, pushing 220. Trim overall, but not terribly muscular, and I could see a damned pot belly forming. This is what I started doing 5 days a week (and I still do): a morning routine of 20 minutes running in place while doing reps with a 10# wt in each hand (I just do sets of 24 periodically throughout the run); follow this with a set of sit-ups and push-ups. I started out with 25 sit-ups and 20 push-ups. I'm now up to 50 and 60, respectively.

I'm now at 190. My belly is gone, I've started to develop the six-pack look, and my arms and legs have gotten bigger and muscular.

And the best thing--I feel healthier, less fatigued, and stronger.

I also cut out almost all junk food. I still drink beer. And I still occasionally give in to cravings to sweets, but not daily or even every other or third day, like I used to. I try to stay very conscious of what I'm eating, in terms of what's healthy to eat. Substitute sweets with fruits. I also am very careful to not overeat.

2. aizan

aizan Senior member

Breakfast: Two slices of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, glass of OJ, tall coffee
    Lunch: Subway 6inch roasted chicken sandwich with veggies and honey mustard sauce, bottle of water or small soda
    Dinner: I either have stir-fry, salmon/rice/veggies, spaghetti/salad, chicken/rice/veggies
    evening: glass of soda, maybe chips or cookies on occasion.

sometimes lunch becomes dinner and i eat only two meals that day, depending on my schedule. Once a month or so i'll go out for beer and wings with co-workers. I don't really drink alcohol much either.

i'd say you're eating decently. it's those drinks you need to work on.

1. try to avoid juice. it makes your insulin spike. eat an orange instead.
    2. i hope you've been drinking your coffee black. anyhow, you don't need caffeine to wake up if you're healthy. drink herbal tea instead.
    3. no soda. it's just empty calories.

3. Casey

Casey Senior member

I'm kinda in the same situation as you except after several years of being skinny-fat, the fat part is kind of disappearing. I do a lot of running and I almost never drink soda, maybe once a month at the most. And I never eat more than 4 Oreos at once.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I'm in a similar boat. I mainly just wanna tone up a bit. Can i do this without changing my diet all that much? Like just jogging and light lifting (or even non-weight muscle training if that even works).

I don't think i have the will power to eat specific things. I don't eat that terribly but inconsistent. I can probably get into working out or running a little bit though. Stuff i can do in/around my house is best though.

5. aizan

aizan Senior member

dancing is a great indoor activity. you don't even need a workout bench.

6. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

And I never eat more than 4 Oreos at once.

I cut my intake off at two... unless I have milk.

7. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

I am broke, have no money whatsoever, but want to eat healthy. I have the same build as this guy and want to achieve the same as this guy. Should I start eating plants from my backyard or is there a better alternative. I hope to have enough money for a gym membership later on, but a good diet should set me on the right track. I will say it again, I am poor.

8. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Go outside find a heavy log or dead tree - this is your new weights, rocks work too
    You can go outside an run as well

Nature is the ultimate gym.

9. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

I am broke, have no money whatsoever, but want to eat healthy. I have the same build as this guy and want to achieve the same as this guy. Should I start eating plants from my backyard or is there a better alternative. I hope to have enough money for a gym membership later on, but a good diet should set me on the right track. I will say it again, I am poor.

Craigslist is your new friend - people ALWAYS post used exercise equipment as free-giveaways because they don't want to take it when they move.

I've given away an entire weight bench and weight set before - some college kids came and picked it up for free. I've seen nicer stuff than what I've given away on there before too.

10. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Hm, will keep checking, thanks.

11. Patrician

Patrician Senior member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    Skip the Subway shit, the cookies and of course the mother of all fat kids - the soda.

Eat sallad for lunch [​IMG] ...drink water.

12. dopamine

dopamine Senior member

Yep, Skinny-Fat. I'm 168lbs and 5'11" I'm happy with my build but i can't shake this damn pot belly. I can pinch about an inch and a half of fat on my waist and i'm really self conscious about it. I'd like to lose it and 8-10 pounds here but it seems impossible to do. Where its really a problem is the beach, with my shirt off its like I have a different body altogether from when i'm wearing clothes. I'm 32 waist and 38 jacket and clothes covers up this little trouble spot no problem but it still bugs me.

I exercise regularly, swim three times a week and I snowboard two times a week in the winter season. So its not as if I'm inactive. But I am averse to weight training, just never got into it because i've never had anyone help me get started and show me what to do. I'd really like to avoid paying a physical trainer or expensive gym fees, my pool also has a weight room but I never use it. So I don't really have big biceps or pecs.

I think my problem must be diet related but I don't know what it is about my diet thats doing this to me! I eat a normal diet but I avoid fruits(too sour) so I just take vitamins to replace them. So I just don't know what i'm doing wrong here.

Any ideas or tips?

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm 5'9" 135 lbs and my pot belly is starting to show (although I love fruits, it's difficult to make sure I get enough in college, and I never work out). I'll probably start running over winter break.

13. suited

suited Senior member

I never understood questions like this. People act as if there's some sort of secret to attaing a great body. Their excuse for not having a decent build is they can't unlock the hidden secrets of fitness (not talking about the op, just in general)

Hit the gym hard and eat the right diet for your goals. This has been the answer forever, and will always be the answer.

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

If you guys are really that lazy to not be able to stick to a diet, just follow these guidelines: eat more protein and less sugar. If you can't get to a gym, do burpees, find a high branch and do pullups, sprint, jog, and maybe some other callisthenics.

It's not that hard.

15. Despot

Despot Well-Known Member

It's not that hard.

...when you have nothing else to do.

16. cosep69

cosep69 New Member

Yep, Skinny-Fat. I'm 168lbs and 5'11" I'm happy with my build but i can't shake this damn pot belly. I can pinch about an inch and a half of fat on my waist and i'm really self conscious about it. I'd like to lose it and 8-10 pounds here but it seems impossible to do. Where its really a problem is the beach, with my shirt off its like I have a different body altogether from when i'm wearing clothes. I'm 32 waist and 38 jacket and clothes covers up this little trouble spot no problem but it still bugs me.

I exercise regularly, swim three times a week and I snowboard two times a week in the winter season. So its not as if I'm inactive. But I am averse to weight training, just never got into it because i've never had anyone help me get started and show me what to do. I'd really like to avoid paying a physical trainer or expensive gym fees, my pool also has a weight room but I never use it. So I don't really have big biceps or pecs.

I think my problem must be diet related but I don't know what it is about my diet thats doing this to me! I eat a normal diet but I avoid fruits(too sour) so I just take vitamins to replace them. So I just don't know what i'm doing wrong here.

Any ideas or tips?

lipo and exercise..the best option.. [​IMG]

17. suited

suited Senior member

I get so sick of hearing this excuse. It's about priorities. If you choose to make other things in your life a priority over exercise, that's fine-just don't bitch and moan when you don't have the body you want. I know one thing, you'd have to be pretty busy to never have time to exercise for 2-3 hours a week total. I've had friends who worked full time while in grad school who had incredible builds and were very dedicated to the sport.

18. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

As others have mentioned, controlling your diet and doing some level of exercise is what's needed. It takes about 1/2 hour a day to ensure that you plan out your days meals and pack them to take with you to work/school/whatever. In addition, it takes me about an hour a day to work out. If you don't have 1.5 hours a day to spare for your body, then perhaps in the grand scheme of things this isn't a high priority. That's not necessarily wrong unless you are impacting your health by being grossly overweight. Lots of perfectly normal people are a bit chubby and losing the last few pounds to get shredded is not a high priority in their lives - nothing wrong with that. But with a small investment of time, you can get there. It isn't rocket science.

19. 98Percent

98Percent Active Member

First of all, the best thing that you can possibly do is to track your calories and food intake. There are some really great websites out there, such as FitDay and DailyPlate that make this very easy.

You want to make sure that you get plenty of sleep (8+ hours) and then start researching a workout plan that will help you put on some lean muscle size.

20. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

If someone is serious about losing weight and trimming excess fat, this is what they need to do: 1. Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) using this website: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. Your BMR is the minimum number of calories your body needs to maintain bodily functions. 2. Calculate your Daiy Calorie Needs. This is usually your BMR multiplied by a factor: 1.2 if you are sedentary, 1.375 if you are moderately active, 1.5 if you are super active. Most people would be either 1.2 or 1.375. This number is the number of calories your body needs per day. 3. Use a site like fitday.com to keep track of what you eat. Be honest and write down everything. It takes a bit of effort when you get started but after a while, it will literally take you just a few minutes a day. You will be surprised a) how many calories you really eat (almost certainly more than your daily needs for most people who lead sedentary lifestyles and have trouble losing weight). 4. If you need to lose weight, use the site to cut down your calories to about 500 calories less than your daily needs. This will mean that in 1 week, you will consume 3500 calories less than you need. This equates to about 1 pound of weight loss per week. 5. Since nobody wants to lose muscle, you need to keep your protein intake high. Keep your carbs relatively low, say no more than 30-40% of your total calories. Make sure your carbs come from whole grains - oatmeal, brown rice, yams, sweet potatoes, etc., NOT white rice, pasta, white bread, etc. Absolutely ditch the sugar and soft drinks - they are the devil in this business. Fitday.com will allow you to keep track of all of this, so it is indispensable. 6. Pack lunches. Eating out is a surefire way to a) eat too much b) eat the wrong kinds of food and c) not be able to track what you eat. 7. Eat several small meals a day. This means splitting your 1 daytime meal into 3 or 4 meals. 8. Drink plenty of water. A gallon a day is a good number to shoot for. Most people drink way too less. If your urine is not white or at least pale yellow, you are drinking too little water. 9. Eat plenty of green vegetables. 10. Do not eat carbs after about 7-8pm, assuming you go to bed between 10 and midnight. 11. Add a reasonable amount of weight training and aerobic training into your schedule. If you follow these and be honest about keeping track of your diet, the weight will come off. There are more sophisticated things like carb cycling, ketogenic diets, etc. to get your to the sub 10% BF range, i.e. bodybuilding competition level, but that's much later.