I'm sick of converse

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by GoonerPride, Aug 29, 2006.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i have been wearing vans this year much better!

2. dk7m

dk7m Senior member

hmm I picked up a pair of leather black Chucks in Japan because the soles of my canvas pair were falling out and I absolutely love them because they're nice and shiny [​IMG]

3. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

Wore them when I was a kid, but when I tried to go back to them as an adult I found them extremely uncomfortable-- too narrow and no padding. Like walking directly on the cement.

Just think, 30 years from now hipsters will be wearing Nike Air, Reebok, and New Balance from 2005 talking about what a classic, timeless design it is.

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Just think, 30 years from now hipsters will be wearing Nike Air, Reebok, and New Balance from 2005 talking about what a classic, timeless design it is.
    It could happen. All the cool kids will be wearing patterned polos, high waist jeans and New Balance 608s. [​IMG]

5. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I remember when i could get two pairs for 25$ and they were still made in America.

6. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

To you guys complaining about chucks being expensive, just to let you know they are 85-90$ here in Sweden, but still worn by everyone [​IMG]
    (i dont pay that retail though, no way)

7. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I've never worn them, never will. For me its just the stupid little rubber toe - it always gets scuffed up and gross.

Plus it just doesn't go with my aesthetic.

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I never understood what attracted people to them and still don't. My step father went on a trip South when I was teen and found a place selling them for 5 dollars he is still wearing new pairs of them to this day.

9. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

hey what are the adidas high-tops which resemble pf flyers,chucks, and pro-keds called?

several members of the strokes wore them back 5-6 years ago.

robbie

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nizza Hi?

11. Gilead

Gilead Senior member

I picked up some leather jack purcells of e-bay for 10 bucks and they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

12. EdMan

EdMan Well-Known Member

I wore Chucks as a youth and they were the coolest shoes you could own. They tore up in no time flat and then Nike got popular. I don't own any Chucks now but they are cool with the right outfits. It just amazes me how much they cost now because I remember when they were cheap as hell and the quality/shoe has not changed in 35 years.

13. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

yes, they can get a little tiresome but that's why you can use the "build your own" feature on the converse website - make something new if you don't like what they have in the store. if you don't want to get white rubber toes that scuff up, get them in black! if you don't like the white stitching, get it in another color :) Of course the same thing can be said about Vans, since they have a even better custom shop.

I've got 1 pair of all-black high tops, a pair that's black with red stitching (I get alot of complements on those actually), a blue pair and the "jackass edition" with the skull/crutches that were a gift... I'm going to buy a white pair too but I fear a red pair would look like clown shoes when I wear them with skinny jeans.

$40 is pricey but I can usually find them for $25 on the Nordstrom Rack, or on sale online if I look hard enough.

14. chowchow

chowchow Senior member

same here
    i hv already switched to sneakers and boots

15. Eric Stoner

Eric Stoner Well-Known Member

I still rock the Chucks now and then - a beat up pair worn with equally beat up denim still looks good. But I also find that i'm wearing boots more these days, partly because i'm getting older and wearing sneakers everyday doesn't seem right anymore [​IMG]

Also wearing Tigers on occasion and a pair of Spring Courts.