• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm sick of converse

nomovement

Reaction score
tretorn

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
I kinda sorta agree.
My wife has been wearing them regularly since before I met her, 8 years ago, she looks great and shouldn't stop because of the trend.

I live in Vancouver, and I find that Chuck's are not as ubiquitous as they are in other places.

Anyways, because of that, when I see a girl wearing Chuck's, I always take a second glance, just coz that's cool. When a girl is rockin super-clean puma's with her Puma track-suit and a puma leather bag, I assume she's stuck up or has horrible taste in music (likely both).

But when a girl wears Chuck's (but of course wearing it stylishly, and not wearing it like a slob), in my mind I'd imagine her to be pretty chill, and listens to some decent music.

Just something about a girl who wears Chucks. That and big headphones, girls who rock big headphones are sweet.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
That and big headphones, girls who rock big headphones are sweet.
I was watching Josie and the *****cats and thought that the girls looked really hot in the recording studio with their -- I think -- RS-1s.

thisisme

Reaction score
I live in Vancouver, and I find that Chuck's are not as ubiquitous as they are in other places.

mostly on hongers, but i assume your not talking about them

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But when a girl wears Chuck's (but of course wearing it stylishly, and not wearing it like a slob), in my mind I'd imagine her to be pretty chill, and listens to some decent music.

Just something about a girl who wears Chucks. That and big headphones, girls who rock big headphones are sweet.

agree agree agree! girls wearing Chucks with no socks. i do find that incredibly sexy.

-Jeff

tundrafour

Reaction score
My problem with Chucks nowadays is the price. How the hell can some a little bit of canvas, rubber, and two shoelaces work out to $40 (or even more for the typically hideous special/limited edition ones)?

Yeah, I know, they're popular and it's just supply and demand, but I bought the same shoes for $10 or so in grade school and they were popular then, too. The only difference was that they were made in the US then and are made in China now, which one would think would help keep the cost down.

Anyway, I've been wearing Chucks since I was a little kid and I don't really want to stop now just because a bunch of other people have them, too. But, at the same time, I do feel like an idiot for considering paying so much for them.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I was watching Josie and the *****cats and thought that the girls looked really hot in the recording studio with their -- I think -- RS-1s.
It's been awhile since I watched that movie (I own it on DVD. I used to have a thing for Rachel Leigh Cook
inlove.gif
), but I thought they were one of the Joe Grado's silver ones? EDIT:
josiedit.jpg
HP-1000's.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisisme
mostly on hongers, but i assume your not talking about them
Yeah, I totally forgot about the Hongers. But I don't know any, and don't speak with any of them normally, so I just ignored them in that statement
bored.gif

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
My problem with Chucks nowadays is the price. How the hell can some a little bit of canvas, rubber, and two shoelaces work out to $40 (or even more for the typically hideous special/limited edition ones)?

Our Costco has them for $24 (maybe $27). Though the only color choice is dark blue.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Chucks are pretty much the black Oxfords of the sneaker world - eternally correct, but never too imaginative.

What I like about them is that they look good worn in, like jeans do, and you don't have to be too precious with them. Ideal for wearing to concerts etc. I buy mine in either black or white.

There are other canvas shoes - Dunlop Volleys etc - but none really look as good. Evisu do a variant with the bird logo, but I think in messing with the shape of the shoe, it loses a little something...

Goblin

Reaction score
Been wearing black Chuck high-tops for over 20 years. (Not the same pair.) Have outlasted the trendies several times.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are pretty much the only sneakers I wear. I'm not planning to stop anytime soon.

patience82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
agree agree agree! girls wearing Chucks with no socks. i do find that incredibly sexy.

-Jeff

I've seen a Chucks/fishnets combination. Strangely appealing.

Oldboy

Reaction score
Black lowtop chucks are my go-to shoes for drunken parties. I don't plan on abandoning them any time soon.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads