• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm rusty--advice welcome

discreteuniverse

Reaction score
I've been out of the dating circle for a long time. I recently decided to get on a dating website and see what's up. I sent a message to this one girl who responded favorably. I got her digits and called her up Monday night. We talked on the phone for about an hour and I'd have to say it wasn't a terrible conversation. I managed to project some confidence and keep her interest for the most part, even though I felt like I was trying to ride a unicycle after being off one for ten years.

I was pretty tired during the conversation so I don't believe I expressed myself as well as I could have. But nevertheless, I didn't do terrible. I considered ending the conversation at a couple points as I wanted to sleep, but for lack of better judgment, I didn't, and she ended it, stating she needed to get up early. This was a true statement as she does work very early.

During our conversation, a topic came up and I said I'd email her a couple videos in regards to those topics. I did so while we were both on the phone and I told her to look at them later. The next day, she sent a brief, but positive response to my email. I was at work and I emailed back a somewhat longer response confirming her interest in the topic at hand, and then I said I was going home. I used no smileys, no lol's, no roflmao's, or any other goofy text jargon. In retrospect, my email could have conveyed a cordial response that possibly showed a lack of interest in pursuing her. I'm aware this may be attractive to some women, however, it may not. I'm not sure.

In any case, neither of us has contacted the other since. She's going to a wedding this weekend and I was thinking of either calling her or emailing her sometime next week to ask her out. I'm not sure which is best.

Any advice on potential approaches, banter, technique, etc are appreciated. She seems like a super cool chick, so I'd like to get this one right if possible. If not.... next.

D.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the best advice I can give you: don't overthink things.

You're doing just fine from the sounds of it. And ask her out already.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The OP needs to read — and take to heart — his own signature.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
The OP needs to read "” and take to heart "” his own signature.

+1
And I can't stress this enough......CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT E-MAIL/TEXT!!!!!!
CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You already spoke to her over an hour!!!
CALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

fathergll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by discreteuniverse
I considered ending the conversation at a couple points as I wanted to sleep, but for lack of better judgment, I didn't, and she ended it, stating she needed to get up early. This was a true statement as she does work very early.

For future reference always end the conversation first when you initially speak with a girl that you don't know. Just in the back of your mind have something preplanned giving her a reason you have to get off the phone(getting up for work, going out to meet friends).

if you're already calling here then skip the emails man. Just send some random funny texts to keep her interest until you actually talk to her and set up some plans next week. But make sure you have something cool planned to do before you call her. Don't be one of the guys that goes "So ah...where do you want to go?"

Just like dancing. The man leads

feliks

Reaction score
wait, people still flirt via e-mail in 2011? wtf.

discreteuniverse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fathergll
For future reference always end the conversation first when you initially speak with a girl that you don't know. Just in the back of your mind have something preplanned giving her a reason you have to get off the phone(getting up for work, going out to meet friends).

if you're already calling here then skip the emails man. Just send some random funny texts to keep her interest until you actually talk to her and set up some plans next week. But make sure you have something cool planned to do before you call her. Don't be one of the guys that goes "So ah...where do you want to go?"

Just like dancing. The man leads

I think you're right, as well as ter1413--I should stick to using the phone.

I've got a couple decent date ideas. Plus she just moved here and I've lived here all my life so I have a good advantage in picking places.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phone is good but don't spend hours and hours talking to this chick

Move to actually hanging out as soon as possible. Keep phone convos short but interesting so she will have more reason to want to see you. Otherwise you sound like you're doing fine

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to do this old school:

do-you-like-me.gif

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
I agree that you are over-thinking things. You should have asked her out during your initial hour-long phone conversation. It's not like she would have been shocked to hear you ask her out since you guys exchanged numbers on a dating website.

Since you can't go back in time, pick up the phone, call her, and get right to the point and ask her out.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Phone is good but don't spend hours and hours talking to this chick

Move to actually hanging out as soon as possible. Keep phone convos short but interesting so she will have more reason to want to see you. Otherwise you sound like you're doing fine

and do that^^^

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never be afraid to walk away either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads