I'm Quitting Vegetarianism.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Mar 8, 2011.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Any risk of eating raw meat comes mostly from the conditions in which that animal was raised. Under the right circumstances, even chicken can safely be consumed raw. Humans are most certainly omnivorous.

+1. most species of primates have been observed eating meat, occasionally.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Humans are not biological omnivores. The risk of eating raw meat is one clue.

Eating many raw plants can kill us. so what should we do there?

I'm serious Nosu.

3. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

+1. most species of primates have been observed eating meat, occasionally.
    What is the point? Humans have been observed eating raw meat also, that doesn't mean it's biologically appropriate.
    Eating many raw plants can kill us. so what should we do there?
    Any risk of eating raw meat comes mostly from the conditions in which that animal was raised. Under the right circumstances, even chicken can safely be consumed raw. Humans are most certainly omnivorous.
    Animals that are biologically equipped for eating meat have acids and digestive processes that kill the bacteria and a short digestive tract, humans don't.

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Congratulations Magician!

I wish I was there to witness the first bite.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Animals that are biologically equipped for eating meat have acids and digestive processes that kill the bacteria and a short digestive tract, humans don't.

OJFC. And neither do humans have multiple stomachs.

FYI, why don't you do some reading concerning what allowed humans the capacity to develop our outsized brains? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't our ability to eat granola.

One minute of Google-fu:

http://www.wsu.edu:8001/vwsu/gened/l...mans-2two.html

6. globetrotter

What is the point? Humans have been observed eating raw meat also, that doesn't mean it's biologically appropriate.

what is "biologically appropriate"? why is an animal going to eat something that isn't right for him that is found in his natural environment?

herbavores have multiple guts to digest all that green shit. humans have guts like pigs, omnivores.

7. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

what is "biologically appropriate"? why is an animal going to eat something that isn't right for him that is found in his natural environment?

herbavores have multiple guts to digest all that green shit. humans have guts like pigs, omnivores.

There could be several reasons why an animal eats something that isn't right for it. Why do animals eat shit? Why was the woman on TV drinking laundry detergent? I don't know, but I'm sure there's a scientific study for it somewhere.

In response to your second part, there's evidence that humans may have been frugivores.

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Well the point is that the human brain is around 60% fat, and by not consuming those essential fatty acids and vitamins found in meat and animal products, e.g., omega-3, vitamin b12, you are essentially starving your brain. And don't try to purport that we can get all the omega-3s we need from flaxseed either. The type found in flax is ALA, which is poorly converted into the forms actually utilized by the brain, DHA and EPA (women can convert ALA better than men)*. *http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

9. globetrotter

There could be several reasons why an animal eats something that isn't right for it. Why do animals eat shit? Why was the woman on TV drinking laundry detergent? I don't know, but I'm sure there's a scientific study for it somewhere.

in nature, indivuduals eat stuff that isn't good for it when they are nuts. when an animal eats something like dirt, its because it needs the nutrients in that dirt. when an animal eats some kind of artifact, that is just a confused animal/person

sure, similar to chimps - but chimps eat meat, occasionally

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

In response to your second part, there's evidence that humans may have been frugivores.
    Yes, we "may have been" frugivores at a certain point in evolutionary history. However, we now are not, and for good reason. Unless you'd like to go back to the period of homo erectus, and have the brain size half of our current, there really should be no argument.

11. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Well the point is that the human brain is around 60% fat, and by not consuming those essential fatty acids and vitamins found in meat and animal products, e.g., omega-3, vitamin b12, you are essentially starving your brain. And don't try to purport that we can get all the omega-3s we need from flaxseed either. The type found in flax is ALA, which is poorly converted into the forms actually utilized by the brain, DHA and EPA (women can convert ALA better than men)*.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

I wouldn't have considered flax, but walnuts instead. I use a daily serving.

sure, similar to chimps - but chimps eat meat, occasionally

Yes they do, so do humans. It's a toleration but when you look at the anatomy of a human, it's equipped for a plant or fruit based diet.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/1...of-eating.html

12. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

http://www.purifymind.com/HumansOmnivores.htm

13. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

14. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Again, it's not a question if humans are omnivorous by behavior, but if they are herbivores anatomically.
    Just a few things
    *Note- the article was written like garbage. That said, all of the information to substantiate and back the claims is readily available.

15. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I wouldn't have considered flax, but walnuts instead. I use a daily serving.

Same deal as flax. Not to say there is no benefit whatsoever to the presence of ALA, but the DHA and EPA most utilized is found only in animal products, particularly fish.