I'm Quitting Vegetarianism.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Nouveau Pauvre, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

For a variety of reasons (changed personal philosophy, my workout goals and foodie gf among them) I am quitting over eight years of not eating meat. Feel free to offer up advice or congratulations.

I haven't decided what meal to officially break vegetarianism with but am looking to do some relatively gourmet home-cooking and have maybe a small dinner party.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Congrats on having the discipline to become a vegetarian and the sense to stop being one. [​IMG]

Word of wisdom--- ease yourself back into it. If you've truly been without animal protein for very long, it can wreak havoc on your stomach. I went vegetarian for about 2 months last year, and definitely regretted jumping back into eating meat with both feet at once.

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Thanks Kyle.

The discipline aspect of it was always one of the biggest appeals for me but now that I am doing a clean eating weight-training diet I can retain that sense of discipline.

4. noxlord

noxlord Active Member

Why not let you foodie gf surprise you for your first meat meal ??

I would suggest pork ribs [​IMG]

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

go easy, buddy - something kinda tame like fish/chicken to ease yourself in would probably be a good idea. Have yourself something small and then celebrate big with your buddies.

that said, I have a friend who was vegetarian for 15+ years, went on a trip through chile and decided he wasn't vegetarian anymore. "eased himself in" by eating giant chilean steaks every night for 3 weeks. I think you'll be ok either way.

Dang, that first burger is going to be bliss. Kinda makes me wish I could do vegetarian for a few months....

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

For a variety of reasons (changed personal philosophy, my workout goals and foodie gf among them) I am quitting over eight years of not eating meat. Feel free to offer up advice or congratulations.

I haven't decided what meal to officially break vegetarianism with but am looking to do some relatively gourmet home-cooking and have maybe a small dinner party.

YES! I'm buying your girl shots the next time I see her.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

there are accounts of former vegetarians out there who dove into carnivore territory head first with no health/digestive issues. of course some moderation when you do start isn't a bad idea at all... either way I sure hope you like the taste of bacon and hamburgers and rib eye on your re-birth.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Word of wisdom--- ease yourself back into it. If you've truly been without animal protein for very long, it can wreak havoc on your stomach.

I've heard this from a lot of people. My next door neighbor went VEG because of a female, she dumped him, he had a steak and felt like he was gonna die. Just take it easy at first.....

9. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Interesting. So if going back to meat after a while can take time getting used to, then it stands to reason that quitting meat does have a dramatic impact on your body. I always thought this was just nonsense spouted by 'new-age' or whatever dieters. It would be interesting to experience how I would feel after a couple of months meat-free.

10. mehhhh

mehhhh Senior member

I went back at it full swing after quitting vegetarianism, but I always ate fish. YMMV. Interesting choice, I don't regret it too often.

11. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Was vegan for 2 years solid. Broke that shit with a T-bone w/o out blinking one night camping. My stomach didn't flinch. You'll be fine. Don't go overboard and be prepared for some serious fucking flavor.

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

damn, birthright really did wonders for you. fish.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Gather all your closest peoples and dine on the finest burgers you can get obtain

14. meister

meister Senior member

Be careful easing into it. My brother in law did the same and had an adverse reaction and continuing allergy problems involving an EPI pen being carried at all times.

15. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

welcome back. be sure to hit up some salt and pepper wagyu