I'm puzzled about this detailing...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gorgekko, Mar 21, 2006.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Non-Canadians won't be familiar with Russ Anber but he's a pretty well-known boxing trainer and commentator. At any rate, he has a show on TSN every Monday night and he always wears suits with an odd bit of detail. [​IMG] It's on his left shoulder, the satiny strip that extends from his armpit to over his shoulder. My apologies for the quality, my DVD recorder isn't set at max. His clothes are provided by some Toronto-based clothing company with one of those suspiciously sounding Italian names. I'm not a fan of this detail but does anyone know what it is and what is its purpose, if any? His suits always have this strip and always on the left side.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have no idea what's going on there. Just like Barry Melrose on ESPN these days. I seem to recall him wearing something to the tone of a horizontally and boldly striped (with colour I think) suits on night. Is there something with Canadian sports commentators and bizarre outfits?

3. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

My guess would be a weird idea with roots in military tradition (ie ropes hanging from under epaulettes), maybe?

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

At least he got rid of that mullet. Didn't he used to have a mullet?

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

At least he got rid of that mullet. Didn't he used to have a mullet?

Canadian hockey and mullets go together like beer and nachos. That said, you see less of them these days.

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Non-Canadians won't be familiar with Russ Anber but he's a pretty well-known boxing trainer and commentator. At any rate, he has a show on TSN every Monday night and he always wears suits with an odd bit of detail.

[​IMG]

It's on his left shoulder, the satiny strip that extends from his armpit to over his shoulder. My apologies for the quality, my DVD recorder isn't set at max.

His clothes are provided by some Toronto-based clothing company with one of those suspiciously sounding Italian names. I'm not a fan of this detail but does anyone know what it is and what is its purpose, if any? His suits always have this strip and always on the left side.

Hi Gekko,

I would venture that it has a purely decorative purpose which exists solely as a very hip, "Look-at-me" detail. Sports casters are notorious for futuristis details and need to remain ultra-hip when wearing a suit to appeal to the crowd (often including large numbers of simpletons and kiddies) and not seem like a mainstream businessman. The satin strip draws you in and makes you wonder if, in his mind, if he isnt more powerful and unique for having it on. However, I think, rather than a signature, it serves as a distraction.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

No. That's for hunting.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

No. That's for hunting.

Really? What's the provenance?

9. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

With Don Cherry to pick on, this guys looks fine. Sheesh. [​IMG]

bob

10. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

With Don Cherry to pick on, this guys looks fine. Sheesh. [​IMG]

bob

Wow...I learned something today, and found a new style icon. I know that this is (very) old news to Canadians, but RDawson's post opened up a world of sartorial possibilities that i had to share with you all.

Don Cherry is a bad-ass, tartan-wearing mofo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who moonlights as a mafioso
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But deep down, he's just a patriot
    [​IMG]

11. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

I thought he'd just left his MEC rucksack on his back [​IMG] I'm not a big fan of 3B peak-lapels, but the guy's got a bit of flair so I'll cut him some slack. Following Bob's lead, we should definitely do a Don Cherry appreciation thread sometime; maybe that'll be my project for the week. EDIT: D'oh: Duveen beat me to it.

12. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I thought he'd just left his MEC rucksack on his back [​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of 3B peak-lapels, but the guy's got a bit of flair so I'll cut him some slack. Following Bob's lead, we should definitely do a Don Cherry appreciation thread sometime; maybe that'll be my project for the week.

EDIT: D'oh: Duveen beat me to it.

C'mon Trogdor - I barely scratched the surface. I know that there's more out there...

I was actually a bit embarrassed to realize how famous Mr. Cherry clearly is in Canada, as I'd never heard of him. I just Googled him out of curiosity after the earlier mention, and found some pretty impressive stuff.

He definitely has 'flair'.

13. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

He definitely has 'flair'.
    Unfortunately many, many pieces of it...

14. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Really? What's the provenance?

Imagine Dick Cheney in it:
    [​IMG]

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I was actually a bit embarrassed to realize how famous Mr. Cherry clearly is in Canada, as I'd never heard of him. I just Googled him out of curiosity after the earlier mention, and found some pretty impressive stuff.
    He was recently, in a nation-wide poll, named among the top five Canadians of all time. I'm surprised that you haven't heard of him before. Much of his playing career took place in the American minor leages and many in the American hockey community are friends of his. Then again, I may have just answered myself.
    He does know his boxing though...