1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not fake! )

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spb_lady, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

FTFY

So Nosu is in the tank?

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

On a video game forum I used to frequent when I was 13 or 14, we'd get quite a few "girls" who'd suddenly make grand entrances from time to time. Only one of them turned out to have a vagine, and she eventually left because she turned out to be kind of psychotic. At any rate, we developed a pretty damned good litmus test, to which any purported female who's willing to post pictures of herself should be willing to submit. The test is as follows: 1) Post a picture of yourself, in the same room as your original picture, with your face visible. 2) Someone on the thread will suggest a simple action, such as holding up a hand signal of some sort. 3) Post another pic of yourself, face visible, holding up the hand signal. It's extremely hard to Photoshop the hand signal, particularly if it's something made up on the spot and not easily found via a Google image search. (This means that common gang signs, the Vulcan thingy, or the shocker are out). Any chick who is willing to post pics of herself, but is suddenly unwilling to do this, is usually a dead giveaway as a fake. A chick who does it is usually legit (or at least the sister/gf/wife of someone legit, in which case, why the hell is the weirdo going through such a charade?). I apologize for being an eternal skeptic and for being rude, but you see, I grew up on the proverbial mean streets of the internet. I am a recovered supernerd and recovered internet troll, and I've seen all the tricks in the hustler's playbook before. I may be crude around the edges when it comes to 'net forums, but that's because I've been in the shit.
    I used to game with some of the very best guilds. We had a couple girls in our midst, but nobody really gave a shit. Lots of men played female characters, myself included on occasion. There was a general assumption that anyone with a female character we didn't know in-game was probably a guy, but nobody cared. All that mattered was how someone performed in-game. These guilds were super-hostile towards each other and I have never heard of anything so stupid as posting pics with your face visible doing a vulcan sign. If she's a troll, it will become obvious in time. I don't think she is at this point, but otherwise, who gives a shit? Is getting trolled going to compromise your internet reputation? [​IMG]

3. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

4. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

If she's a troll, it will become obvious in time. I don't think she is at this point, but otherwise, who gives a shit? Is getting trolled going to compromise your internet reputation? [​IMG]

I don't really give a shit either way. But a really popular and/or adept "female" troll quickly becomes annoying by shitting on every threak and constantly drawing attention to herself. That's why I prefer to force the conversation early. Different strokes for different folks, though.

5. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

didn't get the need for rather [​IMG] - like show up. Who does that? [​IMG]

6. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

Damn, are there really that many sad guys who come on forums pretending to be girls? I also think this might just be the result of a desperate sense of curiosity to know what the token females look like. And what about you guys? With the exception of WAYWRN, how do I know you're not fat middle aged housewives on the verge of mental breakdown pretending to be affluent and fashionable guys in order to get the male attention you so desperately crave?

Sigh, this is just gonna prompt more "prove it" talk, isn't it?

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

And what about you guys? With the exception of WAYWRN, how do I know you're not fat middle aged housewives on the verge of mental breakdown pretending to be affluent and fashionable guys in order to get the male attention you so desperately crave?
    This is why I don't post WAYWRN. I don't want anyone to see my muffin top. [​IMG]

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Damn, are there really that many sad guys who come on forums pretending to be girls?
    It varies by forum and by subject matter of forum, but yes, the "mangina" epidemic is pretty severe and widespread out there. It started in the AOL chat room days and quickly spread to internet forums, particularly forums where women are rare birds (think: gaming, comics, Battlestar Galactica, or what have you). Though I've trolled the occasional nerdwallow in my younger and dumber days, I've never bent genders. But I've seen enough people who have to have a general idea of the pathology at play. It's usually an attention thing. More often than not, the female impersonator is a unnoticed or unimportant member of the forum who grows tired of the lack of attention and decides to create a "female" sockpuppet in order to enjoy the affections and praise of the nerdlings. Rarely is the mangina a legitimate nutcase. We're not talking Buffalo Bill here. Rather, it's an attention-craving and lonely individual who gets bored and wants to experiment.
    I actually am a fat, middle-aged hausfrau. Only I'm not on the verge of a mental breakdown. I've already broken down.

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Damn, are there really that many sad guys who come on forums pretending to be girls? I also think this might just be the result of a desperate sense of curiosity to know what the token females look like. And what about you guys? With the exception of WAYWRN, how do I know you're not fat middle aged housewives on the verge of mental breakdown pretending to be affluent and fashionable guys in order to get the male attention you so desperately crave?

Okay, who told her? [​IMG]

10. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

This is why I don't post WAYWRN. I don't want anyone to see my muffin top. [​IMG]

This is why we're facebook friends. I get the opportunity to see Kyle's muffin top (and see his sister and mom make fun of him). [​IMG]

11. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

It varies by forum and by subject matter of forum, but yes, the "mangina" epidemic is pretty severe and widespread out there. It started in the AOL chat room days and quickly spread to internet forums, particularly forums where women are rare birds (think: gaming, comics, Battlestar Galactica, or what have you).

actually this isn't the first primarily male message board I've been on, in my younger years I dated a guy who wanted to be a comic book artist (I was kinda a nerd, whatever) and joined a comic book forum he was on only to face similar attention/annoyance. I totally get it, it's just strange to me since I know the truth, and think it's funny.

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

actually this isn't the first primarily male message board I've been on, in my younger years I dated a guy who wanted to be a comic book artist (I was kinda a nerd, whatever) and joined a comic book forum he was on only to face similar attention/annoyance. I totally get it, it's just strange to me since I know the truth, and think it's funny.
    It actually is really funny, and in my trolling days, it was something I never really got around to, both for lack of interest and for lack of necessary skill level. I mean, to be a man and impersonate a woman really well, you have to think totally differently about the way you discuss things on a tiny, almost imperceptible, but nevertheless significant way that basically says "I have experienced the world as a girl, and my posts are informed by that perspective." This is what trips up 99.99% of manginas out there. Sooner or later, something about their posting styles just reveals itself as inauthentic. A constant desire to share pictures and court attention is usually one such giveaway. Granted, there are real women out there who do that on male-dominated forums. But there are a lot more men badly impersonating women who do it.

13. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

It varies by forum and by subject matter of forum, but yes, the "mangina" epidemic is pretty severe and widespread out there. It started in the AOL chat room days

Indeed. Back before I knew of forums, there would be at least 3 of us middle school kids running around the adult part of AIM as 13/f/randomstate, and only kept it up long enough for the person to ask for pictures and get an eye full penis. LoL asl gurrrl [​IMG] u sound fyin WTF IS THAT HSIT!?!?!! etc. The original dicture.

14. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Prove it!

15. derekzee

derekzee Well-Known Member

we once talked to a girl over the phone whom we met through chat. my friends and i were baffled when she sort of switched something of then sounded like his regular man voice. this was 1990's i believe.

16. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

This is why we're facebook friends. I get the opportunity to see Kyle's muffin top (and see his sister and mom make fun of him). [​IMG]

Man, that never gets old. Gift that keeps on giving, even.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

On a video game forum I used to frequent when I was 13 or 14, we'd get quite a few "girls" who'd suddenly make grand entrances from time to time. Only one of them turned out to have a vagine, and she eventually left because she turned out to be kind of psychotic.

At any rate, we developed a pretty damned good litmus test, to which any purported female who's willing to post pictures of herself should be willing to submit. The test is as follows:

1) Post a picture of yourself, in the same room as your original picture, with your face visible.
    2) Someone on the thread will suggest a simple action, such as holding up a hand signal of some sort.
    3) Post another pic of yourself, face visible, holding up the hand signal.

It's extremely hard to Photoshop the hand signal, particularly if it's something made up on the spot and not easily found via a Google image search. (This means that common gang signs, the Vulcan thingy, or the shocker are out). Any chick who is willing to post pics of herself, but is suddenly unwilling to do this, is usually a dead giveaway as a fake. A chick who does it is usually legit (or at least the sister/gf/wife of someone legit, in which case, why the hell is the weirdo going through such a charade?).

I apologize for being an eternal skeptic and for being rude, but you see, I grew up on the proverbial mean streets of the internet. I am a recovered supernerd and recovered internet troll, and I've seen all the tricks in the hustler's playbook before. I may be crude around the edges when it comes to 'net forums, but that's because I've been in the shit.

Why is the face visible necessary? Why not just the hand signal in the same room? I suggest the papal wave - you know, palm facing self, slightly cupped, nearly in front of the face.

BTW, IP checks turn up interesting things (not necessarily about the OP) in this thread.

18. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

BTW, IP checks turn up interesting things (not necessarily about the OP) in this thread.

Dude, if you spoil my sockpuppets I'ma break you. [​IMG]

19. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

Wait.
    You're kwilk's friend, but not mine?
    [​IMG]

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Congrats to the OP for not being fake. If there's one thing I can't stand - it's fake women.