• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Im new to the game, and I made a list, help me revise it...

ImFlier

Reaction score
My Favorite Brands: How can I make this list better? What to take off, leave on, add on?

Shirts : Polo's, Sweater & T-shirts:
"¢\tGucci
"¢\tBurberry
"¢\tRugby
"¢\tRL
"¢\tLacoste
"¢\tAnything Uniquely Sexy
"¢\tJ. Crew
Jeans & Pants:
"¢\t7 for All Mankind
"¢\tTrue Religion
"¢\tRock & Republic
"¢\tLevis 514
"¢\tAmerican Eagle*
Underwear & Socks:
"¢\tGucci
"¢\tDolce & Gabanna
"¢\tRalph Lauren
Sneakers & Boots:
"¢\tLouis Vuitton
"¢\tGucci
"¢\tPrada
"¢\tJordans
"¢\tNike Air Maxes 95/97
"¢\tTimberlands
"¢\tRalph Lauren
Accessories:
"¢\tLouis Vuitton
"¢\tGucci
"¢\t24K Gold
"¢\tRolex
"¢\tRL
Suits:
"¢\tBespoke (tailored or personalized suits; think Italy for bespoke goods.)
"¢\tRL

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

tgt465

Reaction score
Real style is not about labels or brands.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everything on that list is wildly overpriced and/or just crap.

If you can afford Gucci shirts without blinking, by all means.

If you're talking about the less moronic jeans by 7FAM/R&R, by all means (contrary to popular belief on SF, they've both made comfy plain-pocket jeans).

There is no reason to buy underwear by any of those brands. Try Calvin Klein or Bjorn Borg or some other brand that actually knows how to make underwear.

There is no reason to buy designer socks, period. (I've seen some pretty crazy multicolor Missoni knee socks, but for anything that isn't 100% uniquely designed you're wasting your money.)

LV/Gucci/Prada all make decent footwear but most of it's underdesigned to accommodate a thorough plastering of logos all over everything. The stuff without branding is nice, but again, overpriced. Nikes and Timberlands are for high-school kids IMO.

Accessories: same as previous.

Suits: can't go wrong with bespoke, and as long as RL means Polo RL, RL Black Label, or RL Purple Label, then sure, you're good to go. Don't buy a "Ralph by Ralph Lauren" suit.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I like Target for socks.
spam[1].gif

I like Wal*Mart for my underwear, but I only wash them after 5 wears. I use Wal*Mart special trash bag linings to preserve the freshness of my stuff.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I like Wal*Mart for my underwear, but I only wash them after 5 wears. I use Wal*Mart special trash bag linings to preserve the freshness of my stuff.

I actually do like Target for socks. And I never wash them to preserve the color. Nobody can see the wrinkles anyway, because I wear shoes most of the time.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I actually do like Target for socks. And I never wash them to preserve the color. Nobody can see the wrinkles anyway, because I wear shoes most of the time.
They do just fine if you hand wash them, and while people may never see the wrinkles, after a while they may begin to smell what you're cooking down there. :p

Grigory

Reaction score
If kid goes to this forum and says: I want to buy only Gucci underwear and Dolce&Gabbana socks, let him do it. If he is real, he will support the economy, if he is troll, he is just not funny.
OP, don't listen to these smalltimers! Gucci underwear is exactly what you need!

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. RL actually makes some awesome boxers if you are on the tall side. You have to get the signature knitted ones however, the others kinds are just terrible.

2. As this is somewhat of a troll post I won't say too much, but you should remove two things regardless. True religion jeans and 24K gold anything (unless it is on a watch with a brown leather band and you are moderately dressed up). Other than the noted exception, you cannot pull these off.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why have a list of brands? go for a list of requirements (i.e. blue shirt, black belt etc), and then research where and how to source the good stuff. It is not hard. With a list of wants, many here would be in a very easy position to help, then you wont alienate yourself from the forum who by and large are uninterested in brand whoring.

Example, you want a Gucci shirt:
A Gucci shirt - could be good, could not be. I have seen Gucci shirts with Hugo Boss like quality, plastic buttons etc selling full retail at $300. Only an imbecile would equate this as being a good worthwhile investment. Of course, the really good Gucci shirts with high quality cotton and MOP buttons will cost well over $400 full retail. In that case, you would be better off with Charvet, Ralph Lauren Purple Label etcetera etcetera...

Start from the basis, I want a white shirt, spread collar, barrel cuffs, and MOP buttons. Under this constraint, the forum would really be able to assist you. Saying you want a Gucci shirt is just plain dumb. Apologies for being blunt here.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched the site for "target socks" and found this thread, which I'm guessing is how everyone found out about it. Are these still available at Target stores?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads