• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm New Here - Help Needed!

Unlit_Hallway

Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

I know there there are already two question threads, but I feel like my case is a little exceptional (don't we all).

So when I was in high school I didn't pay much attention to what cloths I wore - I didn't exactly come from money, and there was never a lot of pressure on me to dress well. However, I'm out of high school now, working and preparing to go back to school, and I have a decent amount of disposable income. More importantly, I'm tired of being poorly dressed. So Maybe you guys can help me out.

Problem 1:

I have mild Pectus Excavatum (resulting in a chest measurement of about 35"), but relatively broad shoulders (about 19" across). This makes it difficult to find shirt that really fit my upper torso - most of the time they end up looking sort of baggy, like I'm swimming in excess shirt.

On top of that, I'm 6'1", which means that most shirt that end up fitting me through the chest are waaay to short. It's a nasty situation: I choose too baggy, too short, or too tight through the shoulders (more often than not some combination of those three).

My experience has been that American Apparel has a number of decently fitting thermals and t's (I own a bunch of their long-sleeve thermals for just that reason - they're long and skinny), but the best t's I've found so far are the crew-neck t's they sell at Urban Outfitters. I usually get those in extra-small, and they fit incredibly well.

Button-up shirts are an issue however, as are most other t's or long-sleeves.

Problem 2:

Well, from what I've been describing you'd think I was a skinny guy. And in some ways I am - my chest is slim, and my arms are skinny - but my legs are a different story. I have a slim waist (34" just belong the hips), but my thighs are pretty thick. In general I have a really hard time finding jeans that fit. Usually I find that they're sitting too low, or that the legs are too slim/too wide... I like jeans that don't flap all over the place, but it's hard to find a fit that can accomodate me.
frown.gif

I'm guessing that these problems may come down to me just not knowing what to look for. I don't really know. So what I'm hoping is that you guys can point me in the right direction. Should I go straight to a tailor? Are there certain brands I should look for?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. This has been a source of immense frustration for me. Hope to hear from you all.

unlit_hallway

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
measure yourself your clothing. then lurk all the pinned threads and buy and sell

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
If I were you and money is not an object, I'd say get dress shirts custom made. You do not have to make a lot of them, just couple of them should be fine.

For jeans, my bet would be that high-end jeans would be the only way to go. Please go to Neiman Marcus or Barney's New York and try on several different brands to see what fit you best.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unlit_Hallway
Hi there everyone!

I know there there are already two question threads, but I feel like my case is a little exceptional (don't we all).

So when I was in high school I didn't pay much attention to what cloths I wore - I didn't exactly come from money, and there was never a lot of pressure on me to dress well. However, I'm out of high school now, working and preparing to go back to school, and I have a decent amount of disposable income. More importantly, I'm tired of being poorly dressed. So Maybe you guys can help me out.

Problem 1:

I have mild Pectus Excavatum (resulting in a chest measurement of about 35"), but relatively broad shoulders (about 19" across). This makes it difficult to find shirt that really fit my upper torso - most of the time they end up looking sort of baggy, like I'm swimming in excess shirt.

On top of that, I'm 6'1", which means that most shirt that end up fitting me through the chest are waaay to short. It's a nasty situation: I choose too baggy, too short, or too tight through the shoulders (more often than not some combination of those three).

My experience has been that American Apparel has a number of decently fitting thermals and t's (I own a bunch of their long-sleeve thermals for just that reason - they're long and skinny), but the best t's I've found so far are the crew-neck t's they sell at Urban Outfitters. I usually get those in extra-small, and they fit incredibly well.

Button-up shirts are an issue however, as are most other t's or long-sleeves.

Problem 2:

Well, from what I've been describing you'd think I was a skinny guy. And in some ways I am - my chest is slim, and my arms are skinny - but my legs are a different story. I have a slim waist (34" just belong the hips), but my thighs are pretty thick. In general I have a really hard time finding jeans that fit. Usually I find that they're sitting too low, or that the legs are too slim/too wide... I like jeans that don't flap all over the place, but it's hard to find a fit that can accomodate me.
frown.gif

I'm guessing that these problems may come down to me just not knowing what to look for. I don't really know. So what I'm hoping is that you guys can point me in the right direction. Should I go straight to a tailor? Are there certain brands I should look for?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. This has been a source of immense frustration for me. Hope to hear from you all.

unlit_hallway

were you always a special child?

go try on many things to find out what you like and fits you well. yes, your welcome!

dune

Reaction score
Has anyone ever posted that their thighs are not as thick as average?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look into custom shirts for button downs.
i've had reasonable experiences with biasedcut.

and we really need to impose a "no new threads until you've posted 50 times" or something rule, like the PMs rule.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd consider cutting off your arms.

Unlit_Hallway

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. I really appreciate how welcoming and down to earth everyone here has been. Very helpful! I'll definitely try cutting off my arms, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads