• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Making a Trip to English American Tailoring for a Suit. Advice?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The pproblem is not that it's baggy, it's just cut awfully. I never like to poop on people's stuff, particularly noobs, but this is bad and you should not spend another penny on it. Don't get me wrong, you'll find mistakes from all the MTM/Bespoke operators, anyone who has gone that route has an item or two in their closet that they can't wear. This is just a poorly cut (shoulders/sleeves/collar/pants) suit that is literally worse than buying something off the rack. Unless you are a weird size or a drop 12 or something, I would guarantee you that for $600-700 or whatever this cost, you would have been better served with a Brooks Brothers/Ralph Lauren etc suit. Chalk this up as a learning experience and don't make the same mistake twice.

Agree 100%. This looks like you walked into Men's Wearhouse and walked out with the wrong size suit. I don't know what's going on with those shoulders. Now I'm seriously debating if I want to go there or not. I shouldn't base their whole operation on this one suit, especially since others have had better success there, but sometimes when I see an abomination like this it turns me off from their service.

a1092115

Reaction score
Wow - those are some boxy shoulder pads. This tailor looks as though he's stuck in the 80's. I'd try someone else if I were you.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HERCULES
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Keep in mind the wind was blowing really hard.

Did Elio say anything when you tried it on?

beowolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Wow. I was considering going there and was warned that Elio didn't like slimmer fits, but this is just awful.

I'd seriously consider finding a new tailor to try to salvage that mess.

Thank you so much for this, I am not going to waste time going there, and I live in MD, I am going to spend the extra money and travel to Mr. Ned in NYC. I was worried about having to haggle Elio to make my suit slimmer, that is just awful!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea. He said it was perfect. Haha.

Jeez, I don't know how any tailor could look at that and think the fit was perfect...
confused.gif

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Yea. He said it was perfect. Haha.

facepalm.gif
I was almost hoping you'd say that you didn't try it on. But then again, I should know better.

I suppose one day I'll take my jacket to my local tailor to see if he can salvage it. It's made out of a nice H&S gun club, and I'd love to actually wear it...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is not quite as bad as people are making it out to be--and it's certainly not too 'baggy'.

First of all, it's hard to tell what's going on because it appears to be breezy. For example, it looks like the wind is blowing your trousers flat against your legs, visually exaggerating their width. You need to take pictures in a more sterile environment to make any meaningful critique possible.

But from what I can tell, the jacket is only substantially worse than the average posted insofar as it diverges from forum trends. The shoulders are very square, but they fit. The sleeve pitch needs adjustment to eliminate the bunching apparent when viewed from the side, but the sleeves fit better than most.

There is some roll behind the collar that needs to be fixed.

The quarters do look terrible. They are extraordinarily square. However, that too can be fixed. It's actually fortunate that they were simply shaped awkward rather than cut to be so closed. If cut to be closed, and one prefers open quarters, there's not much you can do.

The front balance may also be short, but it's hard to say. Again, it looks like the wind might be to blame for the front quarter flapping about. Maybe not. Who knows.

The back is very nice.

HERCULES

Reaction score
To be fair, the wind was blowing very hard.

Personally I think the porportions are off. The sleeves are too wide. The pants are too baggy. The shoulders are off.

Maybe this was my fault for being a n00b and not describing what I wanted. Maybe it's their fault. I dunno.

I messaged them and asked about their return policy. They said to send it back for a refund.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be fair, the wind was blowing very hard.

Personally I think the porportions are off. The sleeves are too wide. The pants are too baggy. The shoulders are off.

Maybe this was my fault for being a n00b and not describing what I wanted. Maybe it's their fault. I dunno.

I messaged them and asked about their return policy. They said to send it back for a refund.

Do what you like, but the sleeves aren't too wide and there's nothing off about the shoulders. Impossible to say anything about the trousers. They didn't do wrong by you, and the actual problems are minor and can be fixed. There is actually a lot right about this suit.

But what do I know? MOARSLIMISBETTER.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
There is actually a lot right about this suit.

This may be a case of where individual details are right but the overall combination is not.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
This may be a case of where individual details are right but the overall combination is not.

The point is that only a few things need to be tweaked to make the whole look right. Frankly, most of the commentary in this thread is worse than useless and ought to be ignored. It doesn't take any meaningful insight to come up with: "Dude, it looks off! Where's the slimfit and higharmholes?!?" If one can't explain his thoughts, perhaps one should be less aggressive in expressing them.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell what is SO wrong with the suit? Ok, shoulders are very boxy but is the rest that bad. OP should pull up his pants.

Interested in seeing what foo does if he foofs this

Posted via Tapatalk

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Could someone tell what is SO wrong with the suit?

Finally. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads