• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm looking to get a new suit (newbie require help)

chiggah

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need a new suit for a friend's wedding. My size is usually medium in shirts with body measurements of approximately 18" shoulders and 40" chest ( will double check when i get home). Style preference would be a slim fit in charcoal grey colour similar to link below as well as view attachment:

http://www.rag-bone.com/Razor_Blazer...33/p/1817.html

What other brands should I be looking at ?

This was the other option I'm looking at

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=246745

My budget can go from £500-£1000 including new shoes too

Any advice will be grateful. I do not mind second hand suits as long as they are in good condition.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rag and bone one (I didn't realize Greenfield did these) is the jacket only.

I would be surprised if the Zegna wasn't already gone but if it fits you, it's a good deal.

You have a decent price range. I would do more forum searches. Is this your first suit?

chiggah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
The rag and bone one (I didn't realize Greenfield did these) is the jacket only. I would be surprised if the Zegna wasn't already gone but if it fits you, it's a good deal. You have a decent price range. I would do more forum searches. Is this your first suit?
Yes I realize the rag & bone is jacket only but its got a matching pair of pants to buy as extra This will be my second suit. My first pair of suit was about 10 years ago during prom lol which was a crap fit (slightly baggy)

chiggah

Reaction score
How does the material compare to Corneliani, RLBL, Brioni and possibly Kiton/Oxxford jacket??

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
You clearly seem to fancy a "trendier" suit (i.e. narrow lapels, semi-shrunken look, etc). This is obviously totally fine as these trends are alive and well.

However, for a first suit I would caution going too over-the-top trendy. While Rag and Bone (read: Greenfield in this case) and MMM clearly have nice suits, they probably will not offer the longevity you will be looking for if you are only going to be buying a suit once every 10 years.

I think your first course of action should be to see a proper tailor. A good, proper tailor. One who can provide you with your exact measurements as well as some counseling on fits that might flatter you, materials within your price range, etc.

The internet is a wonderful place and an excellent source of beautiful clothes. However, it would be a pity to see you wind up buying a suit that requires a large tailoring investment, only to be considered "out-of-style" 5 years from now.

chiggah

Reaction score
You are right, but I think the slim fit taper narrow style will remain. And I like that sort of style since i have non atheletic body

Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
You clearly seem to fancy a "trendier" suit (i.e. narrow lapels, semi-shrunken look, etc). This is obviously totally fine as these trends are alive and well.

However, for a first suit I would caution going too over-the-top trendy. While Rag and Bone (read: Greenfield in this case) and MMM clearly have nice suits, they probably will not offer the longevity you will be looking for if you are only going to be buying a suit once every 10 years.

I think your first course of action should be to see a proper tailor. A good, proper tailor. One who can provide you with your exact measurements as well as some counseling on fits that might flatter you, materials within your price range, etc.

The internet is a wonderful place and an excellent source of beautiful clothes. However, it would be a pity to see you wind up buying a suit that requires a large tailoring investment, only to be considered "out-of-style" 5 years from now.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiggah
This is the other one im looking at http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=274057 $600 for MMM 14 wool suit - whats the material like on this ?
Suit looks poorly made from photo. I would suggest looking at more "adult " classical suits. The skinny suit will soon run its' course and you'll own something that will look ridiculously dated in a few seasons. Read WAYWRN for style ideas, also Will's blog : http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/ You don't have to spend a fortune.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the other one im looking at

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=274057

$600 for MMM 14 wool suit - whats the material like on this ?

Don't do that unless you are a teenager.
confused.gif

chiggah

Reaction score
I'm 27 and thanks guys, the suit doesnt look "crisp" compared to other.

And yes, i'm after a more "adult" classical suit

chiggah

Reaction score
Quick question -

I will be going back to asia and the tailors there are super cheap and custom made to fit so I'm not sure if i should wait for a bespoke tailor or get a 38R from like RLPL or other good brands now.

I will be going to asia in 6 months time >< quite a long way to go

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question -

I will be going back to asia and the tailors there are super cheap and custom made to fit so I'm not sure if i should wait for a bespoke tailor or get a 38R from like RLPL or other good brands now.

I will be going to asia in 6 months time >< quite a long way to go

where in asia?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads