• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm looking for a student budget suit that can be bought online. Any ideas?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, new member here.

I'm looking for new suit, but I have a somewhat tight budget...so around 250-350£ would be nice (400-550$), or even cheaper.

I live in Norway, and unfortunately there's just too few retailers that can offer anything decent at that price when it comes to suits and fine clothing, especially in the city where I live (Not to mention that everything is incredibly expensive and overpriced here)

Since our currency is pretty strong these days, I thought it would be nice to keep the shopping strictly online, preferably from a UK based shop since the VAT/Taxes can be deducted, and I'll further save money on import.

I'm 6'2'' tall and have a slim/athletic build, slightly broader/bigger around chest and over shoulders since I lift actively.

Last year I bought a Grey Hugo suit(Slim 'Amaro/Heise'), and it was the best fitting suit off-rack at the store...but it's getting kinda tight around the shoulders. I can get a tailor to measure me, or I could just use the Hugo suit for measurements.

I would like a suit like the Hugo, but in Navy/Blue. Normal 2 button with notched lapels, not too thin or wide lapels that is...Any ideas of something alike?

And as far as quality goes, I only wear a suit 10-12 times a year, so I'm obviously not going to see a lot of the long-term effects of cheap/poor quality, compared to someone wearing a suit 5 times a day. My main concern is frankly that it looks nice and fits well...I do have access to a free tailor for modifications though (Family friend).

Lastly: I've tried to hunt Classifieds for suit, but it's just too rare to come over anything decent at my size (44-46L)

Cliffs for the TL;DR gang:

- Live in Norway, poor selection of stores and in general high prices.
- 250-350£/400-500$ OR CHEAPER
- Strictly online, preferably UK Based store
- Tall and athletic build
- Regular 2-Button suit
- Slim Cut suit, preferably similar to Hugo as far as fit goes
- Quality isn't that much of an issue, but obviously something isn't a total POS.

Thanks!

E TF

Reaction score

Since our currency is pretty strong these days, I thought it would be nice to keep the shopping strictly online, preferably from a UK based shop since the VAT/Taxes can be deducted, and I'll further save money on import. 

Are you sure that Norwegian Customs won't impose Norwegian VAT on anything you import? That's usually the way it works ...

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Norwegian VAT is 25%, and then there's a 10.7% Import tax on wool products.

However, when ordering from the UK you first deduct the 20% UK VAT, and then you add on Norwegian VAT and Import taxes on the deducted price/amount. In other words, if you order equally expensive garments from the UK and say US, the one from UK will come out cheaper because of your domestic VAT deduction before the item leaves the country.

Are you sure that Norwegian Customs won't impose Norwegian VAT on anything you import? That's usually the way it works ...

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, there's VAT and import taxes, but those are put on the deducted amount. (i.e, The amount after subtracting the 20% UK VAT), so it's still slightly cheaper to order from UK. And import taxes is excluded when ordering from countries in the EU.

Jmen

Reaction score
You could order a Suit Supply suit online, their suits are all slim fit. The quality of their suits is fine.
Of course you can't be 100% sure of the fit when you order online, but you could always get the suit to a local tailor, or you could even send it back.
I'm not sure about VAT you would have to pay. I think you do because Norway isn't a member of the EU, but I'm sure you'll be able to find more information about this online.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I bought a 46L in suit supply, the Napoli cut.. very slim but fit well in the shoulders.. shoulder to shoulder point is 20.3 inches and the chest is 49inches as well. It fits very slim but as compared to Hugo Boss.. Hugo Boss cannot even compare. Not even their selection line. I own 3 hugo bosses and I love their slim nature. Suit Supply has that plus more. And its more affordable. I have been seeing an uptick of referrals to Suit Supply the last month and for good reason. I got mine back from the tailors Saturday and wore it too church today. It fits as well as my Zegna's MTM and my Canali's. I am thinking of purchasing more as well.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Suit Supply.

You are basically their target market so you really can't go wrong. I've heard good things and they fall right into your budget. If you can get to one of their stores they'll make it to measure for you too.

I'd be conservative though - they do some god-awful stuff as well...

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, suitsupply looks pretty good as far as fit goes.

Have anyone here tried charles tyrwhitt black label suits?
I see they're on sale, 199£ (from 799£)...Half-canvased, 100% wool, slim cut.

I'm also wondering, those two suits are identical...but the lighter pindot is 100% Wool, while the Dark Navy is 98% wool and 2% lycra. Why is that?

I really liked the color of the dark navy

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-sui...t-?q=nogon||BSA07NBL|||||416,||||||||&page=2#

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-sui...t-?q=nogon||BSA08NAV|||||416,||||||||&page=2#

edit: Never mind, all pants were sold out.

Last edited:

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I can vouch for CT shirts, well made for the price and their slim fit works well with my mutant incredibly-thin-but-still-somewhat-hourglass-figure. I'm going to relate CT to TM Lewin as their shirts are almost identical in quality (From my experience) so I'll assume their suits are too - I found the only TM Lewin suit I've ever bought became shiny in a really short amount of time and as such would recommend you stay away.

As I said earlier - I'd say Suit Supply is your best bet, let us know what you go for I'm curious.

Tropicalist

Reaction score
Have you heard of this amazing website called eBay? I heard they sell some stuff or something there!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads