1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm looking for a new passport cover

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gallardo2501, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 518aata

518aata Senior member

2. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

That sounds to me like an important problem. I don't know what anybody could do with my passport data - ? In other words, I need electronic protection, too?

3. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

4. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

The wear of the passport is because I must carry it with me. I don't know what you mean by jumbo booklet. Do you mean passport cover?
    As far as character goes, I'm interested in this as a word (it has a exemplary change of meaning - see for example Owen Barfield: History in English Words) and in regard to character of human beings (I don't have much to do with animals or plants). My ideal of passport character is immaculately clean.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

I too debated this. I still carry a check book with and I have a nice calf skin cover for that. Not necessary, but beats the hell out of the plastic one that comes free. Will anyone ever see it? Probably not. I just find it sleaker and I like it so that is what matters.

There was a french calf in tan passport cover on BB clearance section for about a year. When they had their clearance sale a few weeks ago, it came down to $50 so I bought it. Do I really need it? No, but once they can find it and ship it to me, I'm pretty sure that I'll keep it as tan leather always looks good.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

All SF members are required to obtain a passport cover in Green Cow from Hermes within a year of joining. It is an initiation ritual.

7. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Dear Patek,

If I had my own internet access, I would have answered your most interesting post before. Yes, I would like to see your nice calf skin cover for your check book, although I don't have a check book and I am still concerned about which passport case I must buy. I have abandoned my idea to have the case on a lanyard - Ettinger offered to punch a hole in their case and add a ring around the hole, but the further dilemma is lanyard selection and skin contact. Ettinger claims their passport case is softer than Swaine's, but didn't elaborate about the asserted style difference? Thanks very much for the tip and I shall check BB for that tan passport cover!

8. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I would be delighted to have such a Green Cow Hermes passport case, but I'm afraid Hermes is too expensive. I dream about a green belt from that belt manufacture whose representative answers questions here on this website and was so kind to send me musters of the various leather colours - I'm completed undecided which of several I like best: Lonton tan, Chestnut, green or even red!

9. Patek

Patek Senior member

I received the BB pasport cover in black as I picked it up on one of their recent sales. In the end it cost me about $130 which is not bad for something that will probably last me 10+ years. The tan passport cover is still showing on backorder although they took my order so we will see if I end up getting it.

10. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I wonder if you got the tan passport cover?

I ordered the Ettinger wallet in bridle tan and the Ettinger passport cover in red - both are perfect.

11. brax

brax Senior member

I just ordered a green cordovan (Horween) passport cover from Chester Mox. I have liked everything that they have sold me so I'm sure that I'll be happy with it. I'll post pictures once it arrives.

12. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

The passport cover protects the passport from many dangers - dirt, folding, etc., etc. Persons who are careful and gentle with their clothes and books etc. don't need a passport case. Some persons have a tough life and everything falls apart - these are the candidates. I have my new passport in Ettinger and am very happy. I need something to put in my boots but don't know what.

13. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Both these persons are very well organised and don't need passport covers to protect their passports. Because they are so neat and tidy they forget about less neat and tidy souls.

14. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

What exactly is the purpose of a passport cover?

Every time I see one, I always wonder what aspect of travelling I must be missing out on that requires such an item. It doesn't seem to save on carrying anything else, and a passport has a pretty durable/tear-resistant cover to it already, I'd say.[/I]
    </div>

A huge, huge +1.[/quote]

This mathematician is another example of a person who lives in spheres of Platonic harmony. These higher beings don't know how dirty and rough abrasive factors endanger passport virginity.

15. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I'll wait for more replies before I totally write off the concept, but your experience matches mine entirely (esp. the bit about more easily accommodating it in a jacket pocket). Besides, and I may be totally weird on this, I don't think passports look all that bad uncovered - the crests are interesting enough. Mind you, I do slightly miss the old-fashioned black leather (or leather-substitute, who knows) British passports. (first person who now goes on to suggest that if I miss them so much, I should get one of those mock-old-British-passport leather passport covers, gets an ironic clip round the ears. [​IMG] )[/quote] Here we have another category of lack of understanding for passport cases, this being is aesthetic and protected by guardian angels. He belongs to a nation which has no enemies and do he has no need to conceal his nationality from various other kinds of beings, some of which are attracted to railroad stations or other places of special interest. He is also quite healthy - no trace of paranoia. He may be able to defend himself in any situation.

16. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Very important observation and question for which I'm looking for a solution. I asked Ettinger about this, but they don't seem to be prepared.

17. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

My Ettinger passport cover is fine except the transparent plastic part which has begun to break where the passport corners put the plastic under special pressure when I carry the passport in case in my trouser seat pocket.

18. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

i debating between a tanner goods natural passport holder or a chester mox one.

http://www.chestermox.com/collections/frontpage/products/116-tan-chromexcel-passport-cover
    http://www.tannergoods.com/products/travel-natural

I'd prefer a natural one since I think it would be interesting to see the progression of it while travelling but it looks a bit larger and more complex than i was looking for.
    Does anyone know of any simple, natural passport wallets that are only 2 main pockets basically, cut to the size of the passport?

19. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

This might be of interest to you:

http://shop.corterleather.com/collections/frontpage/products/travel-wallet

One picture that I would have liked to have seen with this is the back pocket, which they don't seem to have a picture of.

On a side note, I have an order out with Corter for the copper cuff since the 25th of May and apparently there was a shipping issue. He is working with me to get it to me. If Blue Owl has the travel wallet in stock it may be quicker to order from them.

20. Displacement

Displacement Senior member

While I wouldn't have bought it on my own, I received a cover from Aspinal of London as a gift and it is quite nice.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013