• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm having trouble finding a place that will make custom polos and henleys

Microfish

Reaction score
I've tried Googling, but all I find are places that will customize a polo with logos. What I'm looking for is a place that will create a custom shirt with the fabrics that I chose, and my measurements, as well as (in the case of the Polo), the collar style, the buttons, etc.

Can anyone recommend where I should look for this?

Microfish

Reaction score
Thanks, but I do not want to use pique cotton. One of my complaints with all the polos out there are the fabrics/weaves. I find pique cotton is coarse and stiff, and not luxurious. I'm looking for luxurious feel and appearance, but with the classic polo style (same with henleys). Any other suggestions?

Microfish

Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused. In the world we live in, which has billions of people and a highly interconnected digital economy, there is only one option for me to have a custom polo shirt made with custom fabrics, and it requires me to visit Milan? Not trying to be snarky, I'm just in disbelief that there's nobody in the U.S. that can do this? Why is this such a hard thing to do? I speak from ignorance, as I've never so much as sewn on a button in my life.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is usually how these threads end- not a criticism, but an eye-opening to reality.

There's barely, a bespoke market in the US at all any more... same is true in most countries.
Those trained in the trade of hand-cutting and sewing to world-class levels are very few and far between. (Those that do this work at the bespoke level typically near a decade of training first).

There's simply not enough commercial market for casual bespoke clothing to the degree you are wishing it. But there are plenty of options for luxe off the rack if you're willing to pay the price.

Starting at the lower price end with things like Ralph Lauren Purple Label etc... http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2885938

I'd imagine, if you could find a source for the materials (good luck) - and approach a bespoke shirt maker, for a few thousand they might be willing to make you a few. But again most of those are located overseas.

Microfish

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining it. I'm not sure what you mean by a source for materials? What's hard about finding materials for shirts? Guess I'm too new to understand. A simple polo shirt, I don't need the greatest fashionista in the world to make it. It needs to be well constructed, with a nice fabric (not pique cotton), and that's about it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, go to the fabric store, find the cloth you want, and find a local seamstress/tailor/costumer and see what they can do for you. You won't find the cloth that knit collars are made from like you would find on the typical RL polo, but if you are OK with a point collar, is easily enough made. Just don't expect it to be the shirt of your dreams.

A simple polo shirt, I don't need the greatest fashionista in the world to make it. It needs to be well constructed, with a nice fabric (not pique cotton), and that's about it.

And if this is all you want I am not sure why you can't shop off the rack... there are dozens and dozens of choices in non-pique materials from Polo, Izod (and many cheaper brands) to Sunspel to Cucinelli and beyond depending on what you want to spend.

Last edited:

Microfish

Reaction score
The major distinguishing factors that I'm after are fabrics (I'd like one that has a velour-like feel/appearance, cashmere which seems hard to find), and then I'd like the long sleeves to have cuffs with buttons, that have patterns on the inside, and I'd like to chose my buttons, etc. So I'm looking for unique, but I am not sure I need the top people in Milan to make it. I skilled and competent professional in the New England area, or the U.S. in general should be able to do this, no?

viator

Reaction score

The major distinguishing factors that I'm after are fabrics (I'd like one that has a velour-like feel/appearance, cashmere which seems hard to find), and then I'd like the long sleeves to have cuffs with buttons, that have patterns on the inside, and I'd like to chose my buttons, etc. So I'm looking for unique, but I am not sure I need the top people in Milan to make it. I skilled and competent professional in the New England area, or the U.S. in general should be able to do this, no?
Are you sure you want this on a polo shirt?

Microfish

Reaction score
Ironically I got the idea from Pilosophy, and one of their custom polo shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads