• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are correct, sir.

Indeed, assuming finances are not an issue, the idea of not having a black suit for funerals, and certain weddings and certain evenings, is, in the minds of many, not only nonsensical, but in poor taste.

Number of weddings I have been to where a black suit was specifically requested and anyone would have been put off by a charcoal or navy suit: 0
Number of funerals I have been where anyone was offended that I wore a charcoal suit: 0
Number of non-costume parties I have been to where a black suit was specifically requested and anyone would have been put off by a charcoal or navy suit: 0
Number of people other than you that I have seen suggest that a charcoal or navy suit worn instead of black is ever in poor taste: 0
Repeat for description of not wearing a black suit being nonsensical: 0

The idea that wearing a black suit is in poor taste is a lot less nonsensical than the idea that wearing a charcoal or navy suit is in poor taste. I would like to know who this "many" is and if they are at all informed on matters of style of etiquette. If you like black suits, that's your business, but there is no authority for suggesting that not owning one is either nonsensical or in poor taste.

AdvisorJesse

Reaction score
A great black suit is the best idea. It falls under the lines of owning a great white dress shirt - every man should own at least 1.

Going with a black suit just means you can really play with textured ties.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so I picked up a black J.A Banks suit on sale, it's half-canvassed platinium line suit, only 600$

Last edited:

Dempsy444

Reaction score

The idea that wearing a black suit is in poor taste is a lot less nonsensical than the idea that wearing a charcoal or navy suit is in poor taste. I would like to know who this "many" is and if they are at all informed on matters of style of etiquette. If you like black suits, that's your business, but there is no authority for suggesting that not owning one is either nonsensical or in poor taste.

Don't ever represent yourself in court.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the question were " should I get a black suit for work in the day" I would say no. However, the OP is proposing to add a black suit to his already full wardrobe for the purpose of funerals, weddings and evenings.. That's a different situation. Ranting against a black suit in that context is nonsense.

Exactly. But context is more or less immediately lost here when the subject of a black suit is raised. Auto-rant is immediately engaged, and follows a predictable course. I am pleased to see a few voices willing to speak against the tirade, though. That is most encouraging.

Oh, did I ever tell you about that one time at band camp - I found a brand new Kiton suit on sale for 35 cents, but passed on it because it was deal-breaker black?
happy.gif

Ivar

Reaction score
Black is for morticians and fashionistas, and never-ending evenings ...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
definitely go solid. FWIW, i do think if you have the other basics covered, a black suit is a necessity. I dont have one either, and lately ive kinda wanted one. :embar:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't ever represent yourself in court.

Come back when you learn how to compose an argument. The fact that you have the need to resort to a pretty bland and uncreative insult (seriously, if you're going to insult me, at least do it with a bit of pinache so I can have a chuckle) shows that you have nothing of substance to offer in response to my points.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FWIW, i do think if you have the other basics covered, a black suit is a necessity. I dont have one either, and lately ive kinda wanted one. :embar:
It's hardly a necessity. But by all means, if you want one, get one.

When it comes to suits, I have more than average. Perhaps 100. Of course, I've been around for more than just a while and have had a few years to put the wardrobe together. And as I'm the same size today as back when ... and have long preferred style to fashion, I can still fit in the first suit Anderson & Sheppard made for me in the 70s. Not one of my suits is solid black. I really don't find that I'm missing anything. Even my dinner coats are midnight blue ... except for the two in creamy white.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

It's hardly a necessity. But by all means, if you want one, get one.

When it comes to suits, I have more than average. Perhaps 100. Of course, I've been around for more than just a while and have had a few years to put the wardrobe together. And as I'm the same size today as back when ... and have long preferred style to fashion, I can still fit in the first suit Anderson & Sheppard made for me in the 70s. Not one of my suits is solid black. I really don't find that I'm missing anything. Even my dinner coats are midnight blue ... except for the two in creamy white.

If/when i get a dinner suit, im fairly certain id go midnight blue. Looks absolutely fantastic. But sometimes, as much as i hate to admit it, i want a slim black trendy suit. i know ill regret it, and i know ill look like a douche, but every once in awhile im pretty damn tempted.

I fugure ill give in one day and regret it horribly. :nodding:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DerekS, don't you dare tell anyone ... but I've thought from time to time that I'd like to have one. After the beautiful black suit I saw the other day, I'm thinking more about it. But at sixty-somthing ... I don't do the kind of clubbing that dictates a black suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads