I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Feb 6, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

2. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

My opinion is that if you want a black suit - and you're actually going to wear it and enjoy it - then go for it. However, if you're buying it and will likely only end up wearing it a small handful of times I'd say it's wasteful. I used to have about five suits in my closet just in case I end up getting a corporate job where I'd have to wear a suit every day. I'm in my eighth year of the corporate world and have work a suit probably three times per year max. Money wasted that could have gone elsewhere.

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

What about oxford gray? It's supposed to be darker than charcoal, but lighter than black.

4. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

#1 What are you doing in a ball room in a suit? Tux it up man.
    #2 It's not how many compliments you get, its how good you look. A person can get a thousand compliments on wearing a boyar hat, but that doesn't mean it is the best sartorial choice. (And be leery about female "wow" factors. While we all want to be attractive to others, douchebags still date pretty women.) Still, that being said, you might look just fine in a black suit.

5. Master Squirrel

Are you sure there are only three?

6. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Seems to make sense, since it avoids the "black monolith" look. The vest/waistcoat probably helps to break it up as well.

7. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

This is one of the best black suits I have seen. The Bedford cord lets it be dressed up or casual depending on the shirt and shoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

You talked about improving standards. I agree. The point that everybody seems to be missing, an important way to improve your standards is by finding out which colours work best for you. What works for you may not necessarily work good for me. Archibaldleach made a point about rules. Well the rules say certain people can wear black and look good on them. But the rules also say that only certain colours work with black. You have to pair it with the right shirt and tie.

As for it looking cheap, I disagree. There is a reason why the standard colour for tuxes is black. It is a more formal colour.

But somehow you are implying that even though black works for me, even though I make good impressions on people, I lower the standard by wearing black. I will have to respectfully disagree.

9. Steve Papas

10. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

No, the greater point was that you aren't setting the bar very high if acceptance or praise from people uninterested in clothing carries more weight than decades of well-dressed men (for one example of inspiration outside of the forum). Apologies if my original post sounded personal - that was not my intent.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

This. Odd that black is never decribed as inherently and universally cheap-looking when tuxedos are the subject of discussion.

12. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Ehhhh, you'll figure out the difference.....

13. Steve Papas

14. Master Squirrel

Oh Greece! Then black will be just fine.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Nice to have some interesting discussion on this and appreciate you being a good sport. I'd say that if we're truly being sticklers, black suits worn during the daytime violate the rules. I think they still do at night, but a black suit (well, black period) in any event looks best after 6:00PM. I like the black and white contrast and love my tuxedo. In a sense, you're right about the contrast being the main appealing point. I do think there's still something to be said for the satin, the studs and the bow tie (actually, the latter is huge because it lets enough white show to make the contrast meaningful, which a black suit and regular tie don't achieve quite as well).

Decades ago, most well dressed men I've seen did not generally wear black suits in the evening even if they were not wearing a tuxedo. That may be because they did not want to be in something too close to a tuxedo when many around them were wearing a tux / to clearly show they were in informal attire (as a lounge suit was once called). I wish I had the depth of knowledge on history of clothing that some other older members have, but I don't. I know enough to be pretty confident with my thoughts on these matters, but not all of the functional history.

My main objection to black, in addition to being formed by the rules as I understand them, is the versatility point. A really dark navy or midnight blue also achieves a lovely contrast with white and can frame other shirt colors well. You can wear a navy suit to the office, during the day, at night, etc. Not so much with the black suit. Navy and charcoal will always be safer, especially for someone who only owns a couple of suits and wants to pair them with various shirt and tie combinations.

I think that there can be social consensus and that there are rules. Most people, myself included, break rules when we want to and in a manner we consider tasteful. There is certainly some allowance for taste and a black suit in the right context may fit in here. There is right and wrong (lime green neon pants, magenta shirt and royal purple sport coat is definitely wrong). I do think that some people wear black suits because they don't know better (others, and it sounds like you are in this second group, have made an informed choice ). Hope I didn't offend.