1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:crackup:

2. table21

table21 Senior member

I picked up a black corneliani a few weeks back and it is becoming my favorite suit. I dress it up as a modern stroller with grey pants and it looks fantastic. I will post some pics for you guys, but really I found a lot of uses for it.

3. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I have one black suit that I wore recently to a NYE party. From Corneliani..fits well and due to my skin tone, have no problems with it. I wear it maybe twice a year (usually at NYE or a night club event) and like it for that. I do not wear it to work or client meetings. As long as you know where it's appropriate to wear and it fits well then there should be no problems. Just my two cents..

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

[​IMG]

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

What size is it and is it still available? I have no issues with black suits at all.

6. SHS

SHS Senior member

Mine is also a Corneliani. They must have had a phase with black suits. What are peoples opinion on the self-stripes?

7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

If you really want a black suit then buy a navy suit. :teach:

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Don't like them personally in any color and think they look best in the office, but I don't find them as wrong as pinstripes in non-office settings.

9. SHS

SHS Senior member

10. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Black goes with any other color, which makes it versatile. A black suit, in terms of color coordination, is thus very versatile. I'll get flamed for this but I put color/pattern coordination over unwritten rules that people follow (whether they come up with justifications and rationalizations for it). Black/red, black/pink, black/blue (not navy), black/purple, black/white, black/gold, so many shirt/tie color combinations are available with black suit.

I have a black herring bone stripe suit (1/8" or so), a black self-stripe with ultra thin blue thread stripes, and a black shadow stripe with vest.

11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

With good reason.

12. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I'm leaning towards wearing a stroller / stresemann suit for my wedding later this year. My thought was to buy a black suit and get an extra pair of pants made (i.e. in the grey cashmere stripe), plus the waistcoat. This would leave me with a black suit (as well as the extra pants). One alternative would be to go full out for morning dress, but believe me: in Canada, even a black suit is 10 times as versatile as morning dress. It's also cheaper and easier to find. I can imagine situations where I may actually use a black suit in the future (maybe even re-using the stroller look). I can't possibly imagine when I would ever use morning dress again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  13. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

As I said, there are plenty of ways to wear a black suit if you are under the age of 35 @ night only.

Be honest, you'd light yourself on fire if the SF group think told you to.

14. archibaldleach

This is just not accurate. Black is far less versatile than either navy or grey. The idea that a black suit gives you more combinations than a navy or grey suit is simply wrong. If you read this forum, and even this thread, you'll see that even many proponents of black suits admit their limited versatility. If you like them, wear them. If you don't care about rules, don't follow them. It's still useful to know the rules and understand when you're breaking one. The best reason for breaking the rules is if you think something looks better. You obviously feel this way about black suits. I disagree and such is life. But black suits look absolutely awful with some of the colors you are suggesting. Navy or grey look much better, especially during the day.

15. archibaldleach

This is key. They really don't work during the day (not suggesting you thought otherwise). My position has always been:

1. Black suits are inappropriate and also do not look good in the office and during the day (these two things basically coincide)
    2. Charcoal and navy look just as good or better than a black suit at night
    3. Ergo, there is no reason to ever own a black suit

If you like the black suit look at night, go for it, but it's a pretty limited use outfit. Ironically, OP is only talking about buying a black suit because he already owns a significant number of other suits so the acquisition's limited use would not hurt him. Still seems like a total waste to me, but hey, it's not my money. YMMV.

16. Caustic Man

I would tend to agree, however I myself would consider getting a black suit just to use while going out at night with friends. Reason being I know I wouldn't mind sweating/vomiting/pissing in it because, well, it's a black suit and it already looks bad.

17. SHS

SHS Senior member

The fact that you would be wearing a black suit going out sounds like the least of your problems. :uhoh:

18. Caustic Man

Doesn't seem like a problem when it's happening.

19. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

What happens when one reaches 35?

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

nonsense, on so many different levels