• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm going to Hong Kong for two weeks next month - what should I bring/wear/do?

BigRob

Reaction score
This trip is for pleasure, not business. I live in NYC, and imagine it is going to be hot as hell in HK. (I also found that it rains a lot.) What should I plan to wear?

Also, does anyone well-traveled want to give me some tips on what I should try to do in my time there? I definitely plan to get fitted for a custom suit, but I haven't researched where yet.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can advise. Just watching the WC now and then headed out for dinner. Will post when I get back.

What airline are you flying?

And yes it is hot/rainy/muggy!

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score
Awesome! Haven't decided which airline to use -- the cheaper the better. I was planning on buying a ticket ASAP (maybe tonight). Was hoping to lock down a place to live in first...but before that I'd have to decide which part of Hong Kong to say in.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find a lot about Hong Kong tailors in the "Classic Menswear" forum. From personal experience I would recommend W.W. Chan, but they are among the most expensive tailors in HK.

oodcillasan

Reaction score
think so,From personal experience I would recommend W.W. Chan, but they are among the most expensive tailors in HK.
ca

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bring your best dress shirt for reference and make an appointment at Ascot Chang. In 2 weeks you should be able to get a first shirt made, and a second if necessary before they complete your order. Being (mostly) slim Asians, their preference is for somewhat slim-cut, short shirt bodies. But if you give them a good sample to copy or ask for the room you want, and the height of the collar, etc., they will do that. If you prefer British or Neapolitan collars, be aware that they will do un-fused although they never volunteer it anymore.

For suits, WW Chan is very good and will be able to meet you in the US for future orders. A few caveats there: they like shoulder padding. I gave them an elderly A&S DB suit to copy and their first draft had unbelievably square shoulders. Even after they took out half of the fluff, you'd never confuse it with a London drape model. The second version they did, however (a summer-weight dinner suit) looks fantastic. I wore it to a concert last weekend and both my daughter and the black parking attendant said I looked sharp. So that's all good.

Also, unlike the London tailors, they refuse to do the full-belly, pointed-up lapels for DB. They save that for SB dinner jackets and morning coats. No idea why.

Interestingly enough, their DB jackets fit me better than their SB, which don't have quite enough drape on the back.

I've found that their trousers fit fantastically well-- they used my A&S pattern with a bit of adjustment to fit their taste. But the slightly cheesy construction of the waistband and/or belt loops makes it really obvious that they're from HK and not London or Italy.

For the first suit to be cut and fit in less than 2 weeks, you may have to use some of their in-house inventory, since ordering cloth isn't quite as easy as for the Brits. They have a new shop in Central-- pray that their air-conditioning is better than in the last one. Just by coming from the hotel, your shirt is going to be soaked at each of the fittings.

For the rest of your visit, think about lining up a good tour-guide. Unlike, say, London or Paris, HK doesn't put much of its cultural life out for public viewing. If there is any. In two weeks you can easily get some fabulous food of just about every type, but there won't be a lot of obvious museum visits or pleasure strolls to be had without some guidance. Perhaps checking out the New Territories and the islands could be fun. And a day in Macao is more than feasible on your schedule.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is still very hot. Some rather heavy but brief showers/ storms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads