• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm getting there

PipPip

Reaction score
Back in June I weighed 89.5kgs, so 197lbs. I was put on blood pressure tablets, told my cholesterol readings were abysmal and referred to a dietician. I've been plodding away eating smaller portions, far fewer carbs and more fish and veg/salad.

I set myself a target of 75kgs, or 165lbs by my birthday, 30 October and 72kgs or 159lbs by the end of year So its my big birthday in a few days - my 40th birthday. This morning I weighed myself for the first time in 2 weeks......74.8kgs, 165lbs. First target achieved, 32lbs gone and hopefully never to return.

I am starting to believe it now and tomorrow I'm visiting a tailor to get a suit I had made in March adjusted. Its like somebody elses clothes when I put it on, enormous.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brilliant!

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who did something similar man, start saving for clothes for the new body man, instead of paying for alterations--that suit won't fit in another few months. Wait until you're really happy where you are and get yourself some nice looking gear. Awesome job so far!

a2_hennessy

Reaction score
Congratulations! I've been attempting to lose weight as well, from 170 pounds to 150. After a month and a half, I'm down to 160. Any tips on how you did it?
smile.gif

PipPip

Reaction score
I had the suit adjusted and it looks great. The guy was a bit shocked at being asked to take 5 inches off the waist and 4 inches off the girth of the jacket only a few months after delivery!

How did I lose the weight? No great secret really, everyone knows this stuff - I ate smaller portions, especially in the evening. I snacked less and if I did snack made sure it was almonds, walnuts or fruit. I ate more good things (fish, veg, salad) and less bad things (carbs and cakes). I trained more and changed the mix with more weights and less cardio. There is no great secret, just needs a certain amount of will, common sense and organisation.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ excellent post! Goes to show that for 99.9999% of the people, weight loss is just a matter of common sense and a reasonable level of self-restraint.

Congratulations!

Rikkar501

Reaction score
I remember your original post, congratulations! You did what millions just can't seem to to figure out. Like Scrum said, it's all just about common sense and restraint...

PipPip

Reaction score
5 foot 8, so its pretty heavy for my height.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
WTF, 200 lbs isn't that heavy, how short are you?

If you have an average build (not a lot of muscle mass) and you aren't over 6'1-ish. 200 is fairly heavy.

I thought I was about normal when I was close to 200. I'm 6'0. Now I see myself at 180lbs and think how chunky i actually looked at 200lbs.

200lbs isn't heavy by American standards.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno I'm 5'7 or 5'8 and currently 170 lbs and I'm pretty fit. I had a slight six-pack at around 160-165. At my heaviest I was 175-180, but I didn't even look chubby.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That depends a lot on body type and muscularity - 5'8" 200lb mesomorph will look hugely different from an endo or ecto w/ the same stats. And as muscle tissue is denser than adipose tissue, if given two persons of similar height and weight, the one with higher lbm will look slimmer.

PipPip

Reaction score
It was heavy enough to start giving me health warning signs at 39 years old - high blood pressure, terrible cholesterol readings, poor liver function test results. Enough said, action was urgently required.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads