1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm getting fat.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Connemara, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

His bodyfat is in the mid-high 20s, conceivably the low 30s. People greatly underestimate what someone at <18% bodyfat looks like, and almost everyone underestimates their own bodyfat. Considering he has almost no muscle mass I'm leaning towards the upper-end of my guesstimate. Someone at 12% bodyfat is going to be pretty much shredded. Even caliper measurements tend to be inaccurate because of how poorly they are used by untrained fitness "professionals."...

I am in complete agreement with your assessment, eidolon. Comments incorporated in my original post, were intended to apply the kinder, gentler approach...characteristic of us older folk. However, I don't know that 12% to 14% body fat is as extreme as you conclude. It's been quite a few years but, as a high school and a wanna-be college wrestler (I was dumped in the final cut), it was not an unusual condition for many of Penn States wrestling squad members back in 1968! An ectomorph can have a very low percentage of body fat and yet, never develope that ripped appearance. [​IMG]

2. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Try Bikram Yoga. It's the fastest way to loose the gut.

3. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Can anyone give some info on the impacts that high fructose corn syrup has on your body??? I went and threw out everything that I own that contains it, but this guy at a party last night told me they proved that its not bad for you....

4. eidolon

eidolon Senior member

Can anyone give some info on the impacts that high fructose corn syrup has on your body??? I went and threw out everything that I own that contains it, but this guy at a party last night told me they proved that its not bad for you....
    The difference between high fructose corn syrup and cane sugar is a 10% difference in the glucose/fructose balance (55 fructose/45 glucose in HFCS 55 to, in most cases, 50/50 for cane sugar). Fructose does not stimulate the response of leptin, which makes you feel full. But it's a 10% difference, which isn't really the issue. What happened is that corn production was subsidized by the government and cane sugar had tariffs placed on it, and the price differentials were so substantial that it became profitable for companies to totally retool production lines and the composition of foods to incorporate more HFCS. On the open market HFCS isn't very cheap, but the mass purchases made by food companies all have NDAs surrounding them and according to most people the total price paid by most corporations for HFCS is very low. What this led to was more sugar in all food. There's no real point running from HFCS, the composition isn't different enough to really mean shit. Over time that 10% might make a difference across large enough populations, but you're better off trying to mitigate your sugar intake in general.

5. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Hey thanks for the response!

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have 5.3% body fat.

Jon.

Are you including body hair mass in the denominator?

Jon.