• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Getting Fat. OMFG Make it Stop.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was 180 pounds at the beginning of December. I vowed not to indulge too much during holiday meals and stayed away from office snacks like the plague. I also cut out high fructose corn syrup from my diet last spring. These last few weeks Ive walked to and from work (1.5 miles each way on a 400 foot hill in the snow) almost every day. I also picked back up on my cardio routine (40 minutes a day 3 times per week) and some weight lifting (mostly inclines, declines).

Ho-ly-**** I am pushing 190 pounds all of a sudden and cannot even fit into a pair of my trousers, busted the crotch in my Nudies AND my PBJ's all in the last 2 weeks. What the mutherfuck is going on? Im seriously pissed off at how big my gut is getting. I've been eating more protein than usual and less vegetables than usual but nothing drastic. Thats the only thing I can think of. And I feel more in shape since starting up on the cardio again. Im almost 26 and enjoy probably 8 stout beers on the weekends if that makes a difference.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
8 stouts just on the weekends? you don't drink during the week?

cut out any starchy carbs and if you need grains then it's got to be whole grains. no white flour, corn, or added sugars.

eat every 3 hours, lean protein and lots of veggies and drink a ton of water. that and doing cardio will shed the fat fast.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
8 stouts just on the weekends? you don't drink during the week?

cut out any starchy carbs and if you need grains then it's got to be whole grains. no white flour, corn, or added sugars.

eat every 3 hours, lean protein and lots of veggies and drink a ton of water. that and doing cardio will shed the fat fast.

Well Id say about 1 drink per day during the week on average. I do eat pasta so Ill decrease that. I only eat whole grains and definately stay away from added sugars and white flour. Ill start drinking more water though. Its just baffling how fast Ive gained weight...normally when I increase my cardio, etc. I drop down to like 172 in a month or so. This time Ive gained weight very quickly.

I know people have said that the game changes after you turn 25. Im wondering if I have to seriously step my game up just to maintain my usual "a little pudge" lest I get obese as ****.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I know people have said that the game changes after you turn 25. Im wondering if I have to seriously step my game up just to maintain my usual "a little pudge" lest I get obese as ****.

yeah, it can. I mean I turned 26 last feb and went from 210 to 170 April-December

It's hard work once you get older but if your diet is full of lean proteins and low-glycemic index carbs your metabolism stays in high gear. you have to eat 6-7 small meals a day though instead of gorging 3 times a day or less.

you can look up foods at http://www.glycemicindex.com , try to keep your diet consisting of foods under a GI rating of 55. Try to get most of your daily carbs early in the day, and eat a snack right before bed consisting of slow-digesting protein/fat (I do 2 tbs natural PB and 1 cup lowfat or skim cottage cheese. Yogurt works too.) That's been key for me losing and keeping the weight off.

after 25, I'd say if your diet's not right it's going to be real hard to burn fat no matter how much cardio you do.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pasta is pasta, dude. And what kind of incline/declines are we talking about?

It would help if you posted more details on your diet and workout routines.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
yeah, it can. I mean I turned 26 last feb and went from 210 to 170 April-December

It's hard work once you get older but if your diet is full of lean proteins and low-glycemic index carbs your metabolism stays in high gear. you have to eat 6-7 small meals a day though instead of gorging 3 times a day or less.

you can look up foods at http://www.glycemicindex.com , try to keep your diet consisting of foods under a GI rating of 55. Try to get most of your daily carbs early in the day, and eat a snack right before bed consisting of slow-digesting protein/fat (I do 2 tbs natural PB and 1 cup lowfat or skim cottage cheese. Yogurt works too.) That's been key for me losing and keeping the weight off.

after 25, I'd say if your diet's not right it's going to be real hard to burn fat no matter how much cardio you do.

oh how I love natural PB.. Cottage cheese is good too, although I prefer plain freek-type yogurt with active cultures.

But the whole glycemic index thing is more complicated than people realize and not necessarily the best guide.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut your boozing in half and double your vegetable intake (assuming they're not drenched in oil or something) to reduce your appetite for other, higher-calorie stuff. You're obviously ingesting way too many calories.
Originally Posted by Flambeur
But the whole glycemic index thing is more complicated than people realize and not necessarily the best guide.
+1 Isn't GI calculated assuming you eat a food in isolation? Don't know anyone who eats that way.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also start drinking hard liquor neat or with soda - cuts like 50 calories a drink, so you win 400 cal for your 8 stouts. That adds up to like 5 pounds of fat a year.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Jesus christ man, you obviously drink way too much, which you can defend all you like, but it's still making you fat.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one thing people forget about booze is that it not only contains significant calories itself, but it also tends to dramatically increase people's consumption of other crap, due to increased pleasure-seeking when drunk and a loss of inhibitory control.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't add up. I think you are lying about your exercise. You really do 40 minutes x 3 a week of cardio? What kind of cardio? You walk to and from work every single day?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay hard A and soda should be an easy way to go. And its no problem to increase vegetable intake and cut down on overall drinking. We'll see how this goes.

Exercise routine is just 40 minutes 3 x week on elliptical
About 3 sets of 7 reps of 80-120lbs inclining freeweights.
3 set of super-7 curls with about 80lbs.
Same for declines.
1 set of 50 inclined situps.
a shitload of calf raises and leg presses.
5 pullups.

Nothing special, but you'd think it would help offset weekend partying.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
Doesn't add up. I think you are lying about your exercise. You really do 40 minutes x 3 a week of cardio? What kind of cardio? You walk to and from work every single day?

I walk to/from work normally about 2 times a week but its been more frequent lately.
I also don't have a car so I walk from neighborhood to neighborhood mulitiple times a week especially on weekends. I don't think that counts for much though, since I've gotten pretty put of shape despite the walking.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You fatasses disgust me.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
So I was 180 pounds at the beginning of December. I vowed not to indulge too much during holiday meals and stayed away from office snacks like the plague. I also cut out high fructose corn syrup from my diet last spring. These last few weeks Ive walked to and from work (1.5 miles each way on a 400 foot hill in the snow) almost every day. I also picked back up on my cardio routine (40 minutes a day 3 times per week) and some weight lifting (mostly inclines, declines).

Ho-ly-**** I am pushing 190 pounds all of a sudden and cannot even fit into a pair of my trousers, busted the crotch in my Nudies AND my PBJ's all in the last 2 weeks. What the mutherfuck is going on? Im seriously pissed off at how big my gut is getting. I've been eating more protein than usual and less vegetables than usual but nothing drastic. Thats the only thing I can think of. And I feel more in shape since starting up on the cardio again. Im almost 26 and enjoy probably 8 stout beers on the weekends if that makes a difference.

Track the calories you eat without changing your diet and see how many calories your actually eating (try using www.fitday.com). 8 bottles of beer has 1200 calories in it, so that's pretty significant. Are you eating when your drink too?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Track the calories you eat without changing your diet and see how many calories your actually eating (try using www.fitday.com). 8 bottles of beer has 1200 calories in it, so that's pretty significant. Are you eating when your drink too?

Not really. I drink heavy Belgian stuff normally, so I dont feel hungry.

I do have a VERY sedentary desk job as well. I just dont eat much during the day. I drink tons of green tea and coffee though. And I work out during my lunch or after work.

It just doesnt add up though. Diet almost exlusively of natural foods, walking lifestyle, some working out, no junk food, some partying on the weekends but not excessively...this **** should not be happening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads