• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Getting Fat. OMFG Make it Stop.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Then why don't you eat less instead of messing around with jars of powder?

You know damn right there is no problem supplementing with some clean whey.

He's getting 3.5 healthy meals a day + protein. If you are working at least 3 days a week and do weights, there is NO problem with that.

My diet is nowhere near that bland, but still.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
You know damn right there is no problem supplementing with some clean whey.

A lot of times there's no point as well.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
A heavy belgian beer every single day isn't the greatest, but I don't see a problem with the food. Exercise more.

He is eating poorly.

Here is something more

One 200 cal beer daily = 72000 calories a year. That's a 20 POUND ANNUAL WEIGHT GAIN

Don't get me wrong, I love beer, but ****.

Originally Posted by why
A lot of times there's no point as well.

It would help a majority of people who lift weights regularly or are serious athletes.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
He is eating poorly.

Here is something more

One 200 cal beer daily = 72000 calories a year. That's a 20 POUND ANNUAL WEIGHT GAIN

Don't get me wrong, I love beer, but ****.

It doesn't really work that way.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
why both of you have pirate skull avatars??

Because Why's a poser. Can one of the mods force him to have the pirate kitty as his avatar?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Jolly Roger Crew is staging a mutiny.

puffdaddy

Reaction score
"Then why don't you eat less instead of messing around with jars of powder?"

I don't think I eat much at all!!?!?!?!?

If the question was why don't I eat more, it's because my serious lifting days are long over.

Among other things, I couldn't carry the weight anymore--borderline high blood pressure, low hdl cholesterol and starting-to-be-iffy blood lipid profiles.

Throw a torn labrum, torn rotator cuff and two herniated disks into the mix, plus marriage and a baby and ever demanding job responsibilities, and attempts at an elite fitness lifestyle became impractical.

Ten years ago, I never drank a protein shake unless absolutely recessary and trained under Dante's (see Doggcrapp, or DC training) supervision.

Fastforward to today and my time is stretched and my protein shakes are "supplements," not real meals as you've accurately pointed out. Over the last couple of years, I simply became less serious about the gym, but when I want to watch my weight or trim downafter the holidays, I still feel the six meal (if not seven) system is the way to go and that clean protein supplementation makes that easier.

If someone was serious about training and maximizing gains, then by all means go with real food. The only possible caveat would be post-training when I think a fast absorbing whey isolate might make some sense. Also, just about everyone I know that's still in the game goes to bed on a stomach filled with casseinate to maximize protein availablity during sleep/recovery time.

I'm just sharing my experience and what works for me. That's all.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. One day the bodybuilding myths will subside and the True Light of Knowledge will shine on us all.

Until then, I see what you're saying. Torn labrums suck.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that menu is seriously representative of what you eat every day, you might consider seeing a doctor about your massive weight gain (maybe you developed some kind of fluid retention problem?). It doesn't look like you're eating many calories at all, and none of this macronutrient stuff is going to explain how you're quite physically active, eating like a bird, and gaining two pounds a week.

Astan

Reaction score
yeah if your diet is what you say it is then at the very least you should be retaining the same weight. the beers on the weekend shouldnt be enough to but on that many lbs. you might want to consult a physician. maybe its a thyroid condition.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did test for slightly high blood sugar a few months back. Im doing a follow up test tomorrow. Maybe theres some connection here.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I did test for slightly high blood sugar a few months back. Im doing a follow up test tomorrow. Maybe theres some connection here.

If you had high blood sugar you'd be thinner than you should be.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm..

well my dad's side of the family has weight issues (but my dad is thin) and my mom's side of the family is tall with solid builds (but my mom is just plain thin, too). Maybe Im genetically doomed and just need to fight harder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads