• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm designing shorts, seeking input

For shorts, what material would you wear?

• 100% linen

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • 95% linen + stretch

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 100% cotton

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • 95% cotton + stretch

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • 100% synthetic swim fabric (I wear swim shorts even when not swimming)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've been selling swim shorts for a few years, but I want to add some more colors, probably in non-swim fabrics.

Personally, I wear the swim shorts even when I have no plans on swimming. The swim fabric dries quickly, so never feel sweaty. It may just be a matter of renaming the product so that they're positioned as everyday shorts that also happen to be suitable for swimming.

But I imagine most people still want a more traditional fabric like 100% cotton or linen.

What about stretch? Is that desirable for shorts?

They currently have side adjusters, but I'm thinking of switching to internal (hidden) drawstrings for an even cleaner look on the waistband.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love linen shirts. I tried linen shorts and was less pleased. Just wrinkled too much and for shorts it's not like linen is much cooler than cotton. So, they just end up looking worse without adding any comfort.

Leiker

Reaction score
I love linen shirts. I tried linen shorts and was less pleased. Just wrinkled too much and for shorts it's not like linen is much cooler than cotton. So, they just end up looking worse without adding any comfort.
Yes, completely agree with this.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be the dissenting voice here and say that I like linen shorts for very casual outfits. If I'm wearing a linen shirt then linen shorts go with the wrinkled/rumply look.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for all the input.

What do you think about this: They currently have side adjusters, but I'm thinking of switching to internal (hidden) drawstrings for an even cleaner look on the waistband.

Panama

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for all the input.

What do you think about this: They currently have side adjusters, but I'm thinking of switching to internal (hidden) drawstrings for an even cleaner look on the waistband.
Drawstrings get frayed and can look worn very quickly, not just the strings but the waist band entrance.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drawstrings get frayed and can look worn very quickly, not just the strings but the waist band entrance.
I can put plastic or metal ends on the drawstrings. The waistband entrance could probably also be reinforced with stitching like a buttonhole. And the drawstring entrance would be on the inside of the shorts so they wouldn't be seen anyway.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a couple points: I think side adjusters like you show look poor on swim shorts because they're visible. If you can't do fitted (33", 34" etc) shorts because of costs then go with drawstrings.

For casual shorts I believe you need to go fitted. Small, Med, Large sizing for casual shorts should be for exercise shorts - something in the $20 price range. If they're fitted shorts then they should have belt loops - not adjusters or draw strings.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a couple points: I think side adjusters like you show look poor on swim shorts because they're visible. If you can't do fitted (33", 34" etc) shorts because of costs then go with drawstrings.

For casual shorts I believe you need to go fitted. Small, Med, Large sizing for casual shorts should be for exercise shorts - something in the $20 price range. If they're fitted shorts then they should have belt loops - not adjusters or draw strings.
Our sizing is 30, 32, 34, etc

I don't like belt loops because I don't like wearing belts with shorts—too bulky. And if you're swimming, you don't want to be wearing a belt.

Internal (hidden) drawstrings seems like the best of both worlds: hidden, yet don't require a belt.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our sizing is 30, 32, 34, etc

I don't like belt loops because I don't like wearing belts with shorts—too bulky. And if you're swimming, you don't want to be wearing a belt.

Internal (hidden) drawstrings seems like the best of both worlds: hidden, yet don't require a belt.
for swim trunks. But linen swim trunks make no sense. I thought the whole purpose of this discussion was non-swim shorts. Draw strings and no belt loops reduces your market of people looking for casual shorts. $75 casual shorts with draw strings is not something I would be interested in. I can't think of any shorts other than jersey workout shorts that have a draw string. So, draw string, at least to me, has a connotation of 'cheap' in shorts. They just don't fit at that price point to me

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't think of any shorts other than jersey workout shorts that have a draw string. So, draw string, at least to me, has a connotation of 'cheap' in shorts. They just don't fit at that price point to me
Yes, I was concerned about that perception. Thanks for your input

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent, are you thinking about revising the swim trunks and then using that pattern for non-swim fabrics? If so, my favorite pair of swim trunks overall are Orlebar Brown trunks with side adjusters—but they are not suitable for activities in rougher water (water skiing, white water rafting/kayaking) because I need the security of a drawstring. All that’s keeping those shirts closed is a single snap. For more active water sports I wear Patagonia Baggies and I think those run around $55 with pretty basic styling and hardware quality.
I think it is possible to offer an internal drawstring in a swim short at $75 as long as the styling and fabric/hardware are of good quality. Look at how much people are willing to pay for drawstring casual trousers right now. Drawstring closures on trousers used to be reserved for sweatpants, and that’s no longer the case.

Panama

Reaction score
Vilebrequin have shorts with and without drawstrings. It's not a necessarily a cheap feature. However these do tend to be artificial fibres.

Men-categorie-swimwear-900.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Later for those stretch/synthetic made shorts.

Cotton or linen!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads