• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm designing shorts, seeking input

For shorts, what material would you wear?

• 100% linen

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • 95% linen + stretch

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 100% cotton

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • 95% cotton + stretch

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • 100% synthetic swim fabric (I wear swim shorts even when not swimming)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

emptym

Reaction score
I have some swim shorts from Onia that have a plain waistband and internal drawstring (w/ metal grommets). It is a nice combo for swim shorts. For regular shorts, I prefer button adjusters, and one rear pocket, as with this linen pair from Luxire:
700.jpeg

I also like a small extended button tab on the front for regular shorts, but a snap is ideal for swim shorts imo. Definitely no belt loops.

For fabric, I voted linen, but imo, a cotton/linen blend would be ideal, particularly in a natural, heathered, oatmeal color. Khaki twill or stone poplin are classic too, imo. For swim shorts, I prefer patterns, ideally in shades of gray/black, like these from Onia and Patagonia:
IMG_0129.jpeg

Shades of blue, red, or green could be nice too.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kent, are you thinking about revising the swim trunks and then using that pattern for non-swim fabrics?
Pretty much.

It's possible that non-swim shorts could have different features like rear pocket with button instead of zipper, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I go skateboarding and like the security of a zipper over a button.

I think it is possible to offer an internal drawstring in a swim short at $75 as long as the styling and fabric/hardware are of good quality. Look at how much people are willing to pay for drawstring casual trousers right now. Drawstring closures on trousers used to be reserved for sweatpants, and that’s no longer the case.
Yeah drawstring casual trousers have seen a recent boom. I'm inspired by that. I think they can be done well if they're internal (hidden).

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for swim trunks. But linen swim trunks make no sense. I thought the whole purpose of this discussion was non-swim shorts. Draw strings and no belt loops reduces your market of people looking for casual shorts. $75 casual shorts with draw strings is not something I would be interested in. I can't think of any shorts other than jersey workout shorts that have a draw string. So, draw string, at least to me, has a connotation of 'cheap' in shorts. They just don't fit at that price point to me

the drawstring is essential on boardshorts...

edit: i might as well plumb this a bit more. having spent quite a lot of time in the ocean and pools, swimming surfing etc is a pretty big thing for me here's my .02:

all of my trunks (including speedos and drag suits) are synthetic performance fabrics, some with stretch some without. all are quick drying, shed sand n salt easily, and aren't inherently chappy. hard to imagine wearing new linen in the ocean seems like a recipe for rash

without something to tune the waist up the ocean will peel those trunks right off ass, believe it. no matter how snug when dry trunks will open up a bit in the water. i wouldn't buy anything with buckles i want everything to be soft so i do like a drawstring. i'm not crazy about velcro fly and prefer a gusset. a key loop is very common and a great notion, preferably in a small pocket and consider a drain hole at the bottom.

unlined is my pref. fitted waist (non elastic). something that clings when i emerge from dat surf lol .

my fave would prob be quiksilver in shorter inseams, def *surfer grade* fabrics durable comfy and oldskool styling

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the drawstring is essential on boardshorts...

edit: i might as well plumb this a bit more. having spent quite a lot of time in the ocean and pools, swimming surfing etc is a pretty big thing for me here's my .02:

all of my trunks (including speedos and drag suits) are synthetic performance fabrics, some with stretch some without. all are quick drying, shed sand n salt easily, and aren't inherently chappy. hard to imagine wearing new linen in the ocean seems like a recipe for rash

without something to tune the waist up the ocean will peel those trunks right off ass, believe it. no matter how snug when dry trunks will open up a bit in the water. i wouldn't buy anything with buckles i want everything to be soft so i do like a drawstring.
Yes for water... As i mentiomed the original post mentioned shorts NOT for swimming. So, just casual. iMO drawstring doesn't belong on a pair of $75 casual shorts

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm, it sounded like 2-way shorts or maybe a convertible pattern...

i suppose my contribution is to say that for me trunks are typically minimalist and functional (i've had pairs with no inseam for instance the pattern is 1-piece outseamed). i'd probably go naked if i could, in truth i'm out swimming to immerse myself and escape civilization. i don't wear trunks out of the water btw typically change on the beach both ways.

so all that to say - for somebody like me - a 2-way short is probably not workable. but i also think a *drylanded* version of a minimalist, functionalist swim short is a pretty interesting idea. apres-surf concept. maybe a bit sw&d idk.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Spoke England" Have quite a good range of shorts/swims in various fabrics and fasteners with a wide range of sizing and fits, if your looking for ideas!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads