• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm building a business wardrobe and need help on brands.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
Thanks Butter! What would be considered a direct suit brand? Can you give me examples?

I guess he means names like Corneliani, Samuelson, Zegna, etc.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
LOL @ Bananananananan....etc

The reason why I ask (other than the fact I don't know and what to learn) is becasue currently, I'm wearing suits from Express Men.

When it rains, the lapels bubble up and wrinkle. Its a pain. That is why when I spead (appx) $1k on one suit, I'd like to know if will stand quality suit situations.

Thanks for the commments!

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Canvassing is just one aspect of durability and quality in a suit. I'm assuming you're in your 20s based on how you write. You'll probably end up upgrading suits and have varying tastes as you get older, so you don't need a suit to last you 40 years. And you're comparing against an Express suit, which is about as crappy as you can get. A decent quality half canvassed suit should be fine for you and last you many years even if it gets wet unless you're completely ignorant of the use of umbrellas.

If I were you, I'd worry more about finding a staple color/pattern rather than some god awful plaid **** you'll find at most outlets and what the tag inside the suit says. Just make sure you have the fit down along with the right type of cut for you, and then move onto quality aspects like the material, drape, buttons, and construction.

captoe

Reaction score
canali on sale.

btw what's with all the armani recs?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers 1818 is half canvassed and in your price range. An even better deal on sale. Try their slimmer fits as suggested.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Brooks Brothers 1818 is half canvassed and in your price range. An even better deal on sale. Try their slimmer fits as suggested.

Ok. I will try Brooks Brothers 1818 (half canvassed, slim fit). Thanks for the constructive feedback.
teacha.gif

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Black Label is just to good to pass up. Thanks for the all the feedback.

PrestonJL4

Reaction score
I'm of similar build, and Canali works well on me. As does Corneliani.

But don't pay full price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads