• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Being Wed!

Frrrank

Reaction score
I'm being rewed very soon in a small but romantic wedding in a small wedding chapel. We figure a tux would be more suited to a big wedding, so I'll be in a nice, three-piece suit (two-button jacket) and a bow tie. Any suggestions as to color? I'm thinking either a black or navy blue suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Navy, if those are the choices. Festive is good. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. No funeral attire.

Frrrank

Reaction score
Yeah, we were kind of leaning toward navy blue, heavily starched white shirt, and a navy blue print bow tie, the tie it yourself kind, naturally. I'm in suits and bow ties for work daily, and generally feel pretty dressed up, but I'm sure it'll be triply so on my wedding day.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frrrank
Yeah, we were kind of leaning toward navy blue, heavily starched white shirt, and a navy blue print bow tie, the tie it yourself kind, naturally. I'm in suits and bow ties for work daily, and generally feel pretty dressed up, but I'm sure it'll be triply so on my wedding day.

The Navy Bow Tie sounds like it might make everything a bit too "dark". I know it's not black but I think livening things up with a splash of color on either your Bow Tie or other accessory (Pocket Square etc) could help, especially as this is going to be a very joyous day.

Are there any color themes picked out for the wedding yet? That could give a good direction for a complimenting or contrasting color scheme for your Bow Tie.

I don't know too many of the "rules" so to speak, but that's just my $0.02. The main thing is for both you and your future wife to be happy
smile.gif

Frrrank

Reaction score
No, since this is our rewedding (we did the whole tux and wedding gown in a church wedding when we first wed last year) we wanted it simple but dressed up and romantic. Navy is a nice, dressy, solemn formal color, but not as "dark" as black. So I'll probably be in the navy blue three-piece suit, starched white shirt, and navy bow tie. My bride loved doing the flouncy white lacy wedding gown last year, but this time she wants to be dressy but not all frous frous, although I wouldn't mind seeing her in her gown again. She wants to wear a very sharp navy blue skirt suit (two-button jacket, skirt to the knee, very conservative) with a white, buttoned up tuxedo blouse, with the pleats up the front, and a kind of women's bow tie, just a bit poofier than a regular bow tie, navy blue print. She dresses pretty prim'n'proper like that for work. She said for our original wedding I looked so nervous all buttoned up in a stiff white collar and bow tie and figured this time around I'd have company!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't really like bow ties for weddings, unless it's a true formal evening event.

I would recommend instead a silvery long tie.

Frrrank

Reaction score
Neckties always strike me as much less formal than bow ties. I don't even own one. In a VERY starched shirt all buttoned up in a stiff white collar, a perfectly tied bow tie just seems to make me FEEL dressed up, and that something very special and solemn is happening to me. Plus my bride seems to be getting a kick out of the thought of both of us being all buttoned up and formal in bow ties and being wed. This time around she wants us to walk down the aisle together with the organist playing The Wedding March. Should be almost as romantic as the original wedding.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Neckties always strike me as much less formal than bow ties. I don't even own one. In a VERY starched shirt all buttoned up in a stiff white collar, a perfectly tied bow tie just seems to make me FEEL dressed up, and that something very special and solemn is happening to me. Plus my bride seems to be getting a kick out of the thought of both of us being all buttoned up and formal in bow ties and being wed. This time around she wants us to walk down the aisle together with the organist playing The Wedding March. Should be almost as romantic as the original wedding.

Well that settles that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun time. A navy suit and bow tie would be great, but you seem to also enjoy being formal. Even though it will be a small rewed, why not wear a tuxedo? Either way, sounds like a nice ceremony is in store.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the bow tie idea, but if you're going to do it, I'd try thinking of something other than navy blue. A navy blue bow tie with a navy blue suit doesn't sound like it will look right.

Frrrank

Reaction score
I'd love to wear a tux again and have my bride in her bridal gown and veil, but since we're doing this little wedding chapel number, we figured let's DRESS UP, but not to the extent as the original wedding. We've both been resistant to the "business casual" thing, and we both have black suits (her's the skirt variety. She HATES pantsuits, thankfully) but we figured that might be too somber a color. We also have navy blue suits, so we figured those would look solemn without looking somber. With the navy blue suits, white shirts, and navy blue bow ties, we figure we'll be looking as formal as we can in a "suited" kind of way without being officially "formal." Fortunately we've both got the "bowtying" thing down to a science.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would have been news to my father-in-law, who was called on the carpet at the steel brokerage firm where he worked and told that the bowties he favored were too jaunty and sporty; henceforth, he was to wear [long] neckties in accordance with the corporate dress code.

I suppose I am prying into your personal affairs, but this whole business strikes me as very strange. I have heard of couples for various reasons getting married in quick civil ceremonies and then having large church ceremonies later. I have heard of couples having ceremonies renewing their vows after many years, but I've never heard of anything like this in all my long years. I don't get the impression that you and your wife got married in the big ceremony, broke up, divorced, and then decided to remarry all within the space of a year. Did you perhaps change faiths and decide your original wedding was somehow invalid.? Care to tell us what's behind all this? The matching suits and bowties sound strange and costume-ish to me. However, it's your ceremony and your life. I'm not one to begrudge anyone their harmless pleasures.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the navy blue suits, white shirts, and navy blue bow ties, we figure we'll be looking as formal as we can in a "suited" kind of way without being officially "formal." Fortunately we've both got the "bowtying" thing down to a science.
I personally like burgundy/wine or richer reds with blue & formal occasions ... Its warm friendly and joyous but not overly so. But make sure it has some lustre and life. After all you where not opting to have the tie made out of the same cloth as the suit where you? I have one I'm quite fond of from Givenchy, with stylized "fleurs de lys" but that's just me. And I don't even use bot ties unless I have to. The thing a bout self ting a bow tie, it gives you infinite range on twists and 3dspace. Almost more than a tie. you could treat it like a flower. But that might be over the top I guess.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not loving the bow tie concept. If you use the search function you will find many threads on "Wedding Ties". With a white shirt and navy suit a silk tie with a subtle silver pattern will look very distinctive and romantic. Add a white pocket square for a little more flair. I think you will be happy with the final results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads