• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Being Wed!

kryn13

Reaction score
I agree with going 'classic' and a formal necktie. There are some great articles on this site including a write up by Manton that influenced my wedding attire. Drakes has some traditional wedding neckties. I ordered a custom tie from Sam Hober who you can find via the forum as well.

Frrrank

Reaction score
I suppose I am prying into your personal affairs, but this whole business strikes me as very strange. I have heard of couples for various reasons getting married in quick civil ceremonies and then having large church ceremonies later. I have heard of couples having ceremonies renewing their vows after many years, but I've never heard of anything like this in all my long years. I don't get the impression that you and your wife got married in the big ceremony, broke up, divorced, and then decided to remarry all within the space of a year. Did you perhaps change faiths and decide your original wedding was somehow invalid.? Care to tell us what's behind all this? The matching suits and bowties sound strange and costume-ish to me. However, it's your ceremony and your life. I'm not one to begrudge anyone their harmless pleasures.
Nope, nothing like any of that at all. We're just a romantic and dressy kind of couple. We had a lovely "big" wedding and we wanted to celebrate our anniversary in a little more intimate fashion. "Costume-ish"? No, just our way of keeping it dressy but simple.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frrrank
I'd love to wear a tux again and have my bride in her bridal gown and veil, but since we're doing this little wedding chapel number, we figured let's DRESS UP, but not to the extent as the original wedding. We've both been resistant to the "business casual" thing, and we both have black suits (her's the skirt variety. She HATES pantsuits, thankfully) but we figured that might be too somber a color. We also have navy blue suits, so we figured those would look solemn without looking somber. With the navy blue suits, white shirts, and navy blue bow ties, we figure we'll be looking as formal as we can in a "suited" kind of way without being officially "formal." Fortunately we've both got the "bowtying" thing down to a science.

There's a difference between dressing up and dressing like this. Your bow tie and your suit really shouldn't 'match', no matter the occasion or formality. And you and your wife wearing suits in an identical color . . . well, I don't know what to say if that doesn't sound odd to you to begin with.

The reason it will look costume-y isn't because you're dressing up, but because you're following self-made rules that imply you don't actually know how to dress up.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I can't imagine a navy suit with a navy tie not looking a bit odd. I would think something like a burgundy bow tie might be a better choice, but it is an event for you and your wife so I guess whatever pleases you and your wife is really the best choice.

I hope you both have many more happy years together, Jim.

Frrrank

Reaction score
Okay, she skipped the suit and wore her bridal gown, as you can see, which was quite fine by me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads