• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm balding and I'd like some advice for a new hairstyle

_stargazer_

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been balding now for a long time and it has now reached a level where I started thinking about getting a shorter hairstyle.

img_20210515_114631ffj59.jpg

img_20210515_114803v9ji6.jpg

img_20210515_114947enjrq.jpg

However I don't know what hairstyle to aim for, which one would be the best looking, so I'd like to get some advice (preferably from barbers, and from women :) ).

As you can see I'm quite bold at my scalp. I'd like to diminish it's effect on my look but still I'd like to keep some hair, I wouldn't like to go completely bald.

What's the best look I could get out of this?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Since noone has replied… You’re experiencing the Norwood scale.

I would cut it down, like this guy (picture).

Thin out your beard, clean up the lines. And then I would darken the eyebrows.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shave it off, I prefer a grade 2 buzz cut, over a wet shave. It's a bit more rugged/masculine than a full on Skinhead style

Invest in a matte moisturiser/sun protection to kill the shine, skincare is critical.

Your head is a pretty good shape for it to be honest, it will knock a good few years off your appearance I'm sure, once you do it you won't ever look back.

Sunglasses are the biggest issue I have found when rocking a shaved head, I eventually settled on Aviators (Randolph Engineering) as acetate frames are a bit too stark.

Jason Statham and Zinadine Zidane are good examples of confident bald guys, one less thing to worry about as far as I'm concerned and many women prefer "a bit of rough" over the pretty boy look.

SouthernGothic

Reaction score
I was at your point in 1999, at the age of 32. I had been balding a while.
A friend's wife told me to "just shave it all off".
I did and have been ever since. It took some getting used to, but I cannot even imagine having hair all these years later.
Hats will be a requirement for sun protection.

Last edited:

sajesak

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been balding now for a long time and it has now reached a level where I started thinking about getting a shorter hairstyle.

img_20210515_114631ffj59.jpg

img_20210515_114803v9ji6.jpg

img_20210515_114947enjrq.jpg

However I don't know what hairstyle to aim for, which one would be the best looking, so I'd like to get some advice (preferably from barbers, and from women :) ).

As you can see I'm quite bold at my scalp check here https://rainguardroofs.com. I'd like to diminish it's effect on my look but still I'd like to keep some hair, I wouldn't like to go completely bald.

What's the best look I could get out of this?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Started going bald in my mid-twenties, found the best way to deal with it was it have it cut progressively shorter each time. Now I keep it shaved most of the time as I think it looks smarter. I prefer being bald to having hair. (Although I was ginger so probably why!)

podz

Reaction score
I was at your point in 1999, at the age of 32. I had been balding a while.
A friend's wife told me to "just shave it all off".
I did and have been ever since. It took some getting used to, but I cannot even imagine having hair all these years later.
Hats will be a requirement for sun protection.

This. Except it hit me at age 22 instead of 32. I've kept my head buzzed clean (not shaved, but cut with clippers to about 1 millimetre) since I was 22 years old and I'm 57 now. If there were a miracle cure for baldness announced today I wouldn't take it because my hair is uncontrollably curly and I always hated it while growing up.

SouthernGothic

Reaction score
I was there at 18 but in denial until 32. You did what I should have done by that age.
I thought I would have hair transplants like William Shatner if I could afford such.
But, having grown my hair out for the first time in decades, it was so hot!
I think I shall just stay shaved from now on.
I am tempted to have the rest lasered so I don't have to deal with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads