• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

i'm back... and sorry RJ, no bear pics.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Peru was great. Machu Picchu was a spectacular site to behold and Cusco and the Sacred Valley were both beautiful locations. The people were all very friendly

The Inkaterra Hotel was everything I expected it to be. The hotel was set among cloud forest and the grounds had beautiful granite paths with lush vegetation and flowing water from the mountain running throughout in narrow stone gutters along the sides of the paths. The restaurant was set in a valley and perched on a cliff overlooking the powerful Urubamba river. The view was incredible.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to peru. Aside from the last day when I got sick and vomitted about once an hour for 12 hours straight, it was incredibly relaxing. The food was very good and was definitely the best I had during my trip. I ate 3 courses for lunch and dinner every day and I felt stuffed all the time.

Lastly, the service was outstanding. We were supposed to be there for NY's but our plans got screwed up and pushed back a day. Upon our arrival at the hotel we mentioned this to the assistant that was assigned to us and on our second night she arranged for free champagne and some extra appetizers that were off the menu and specially prepared for us by the chef. It was a nice surprise.

The guided tour of Machu Picchu was also very well done and it was worth getting a private guide because I stopped to take pictures a lot, which wouldn't have really been possible in a group. It was raining the whole time I was in Machu Picchu and unfortunately some of my pics were ruined by water on the lens, but the upside was that I got some nice atmospheric shots and I was able to hide my tripod under a poncho without looking like a marsupial. I didn't know before going (our guide told me) but you're not allowed to bring tripods into the citadel because a beer commercial crew broke something with one a few years back. I was very careful with mine.

Aside from the Machu Picchu tour there are other tours you can take that are run by the hotel. A short trek out to see the spectacled bear was on my list of things to do, as were the orchid reserves containing 400 species, but my illness on the last day thwarted these plans so I didn't get to see them. Sorry RJ, I know you were looking forward to the bear pics.
plain.gif

Machu Picchu and the luxury accomodations of the Inkaterra were great but the highlight of the trip was definitely the rainforest. Everyone that knows me thinks that is funny because I'm normally so fussy about everything and I hate bugs. To get there we flew in to Puerto Maldonado and took a motorized canoe to a mud trail. We had rubber boots and spent the next hour and a half slogging through deep mud. At the other end, we took a canoe through a canal in the forest and then crossed Sandoval Lake to the lodge. It took about 3 hours total. The lodge was set within the Tambopata National Reserve.

We had to get up at 5am every morning and it rained every day. We got caught in a couple rainstorms out on hikes and out on the lake, but it added to the experience. We stayed at a lodge run by Inkanatura, whom I can highly recommend. Everything was well organized, from pick-up and drop-off at the airport to the programmed excursions. Our guide was fantastic. He was a native from the area and spent his whole life living in Puerto Maldonado, the nearest town. He was very knowledgable about everything in the jungle having spent his life there, a couple years in the army, the last 4 years guiding, and through a lot of reading on jungle ecology and wildlife. He takes his job seriously and had good answers for all my questions. He also speaks german, which I found surprising.

We arrived with 2 other pairs of people and spent the first two days with them doing the normal stuff. After they left our guide took us off the paths into the unadultered jungle. This was the highlight for me but my gf opted to stay back by the path. You have to be very aware of your surroundings when walking through the jungle. It is very dense and hides a lot of nasty things. If you're not careful, you might go to grab a branch for balance and then find it covered with army ants, a bullit ant (about an inch long and will make you cry for 24 hours), or any number of other nasty things. On the ground there are snakes, tarantulas, other spiders, more ants, etc. Most of the time they are hidden during the day, but if you disturb them you can get into trouble.

Apparently, they call the jungle the green hell. It's very beautiful, but if you were ever to get lost and not know what you were doing, it would not be fun. Even if you do know what you are doing, living in the jungle can be very rough because food and water are scarce. You would think that food would be abundant, but it's an illusion. The plants are mostly toxic and the animals high in the canopy and far more acclimated to survival than we are and everything is well camouflaged. Moving through the forest it is very difficult. You have to deal with fallen trees, swamps, ravines, and all manner of other obstacles. Still, I had a blast.

The forest comes alive at night. I've never seen so many bugs and nasty things. We took an excursion by boat along the lake to see black caimens (like alligators). They're easy to find but it's hard to get good pictures of them. They like to stay hidden in the reeds at the edge of the water, so often times all you can see are the reflections of their retina as you scan with your flashlight.

I learned the appeal of wildlife photography. It's like hunting, except you shoot with a camera instead of a gun. You have to be careful, patient, and quiet. There weren't any clay licks where we were so we had to find parrots and macaws on our own and then try and sneak up on them to get good pictures because they don't seem to like people. It was a lot of fun.

I took a lot of pictures but I have yet to go through them. Once I've selected the best, done some work on them (i shoot raw), and converted them to jpeg, I'll put them up in this thread. I got a lot of experience with my camera on this trip. One thing I learned is that I need better lenses if I'm gonna continue my interest in wildlife photography. To get reasonably sharp pictures of animals in the canopy I had to shoot at 1/320. Since it was early morning, the light was not very bright and I had to take most of my pics at 800 ISO. I had a GN36 flash but the recycle time was 7-10 seconds depending on the battery charge which is much too slow. I found myself frustrated with my equipment and I'll probably upgrade the camera, lenses, and flash before my next trip and relegate my existing gear to backup status. I'll definitely go back to the rainforest, but I think an African safari is next. The jungle is too dense and jaguars too uncommon. I want to shoot some big cats in the wild on my next trip. As an aside, there's a famous Amazonia poster featuring a photo of a jaguar. It took the photographer a year to get that shot because sitings are so rare and it's illegal to track them.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool, welcome back

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome back. Sounds like a great vacation. I am flattered and a tad creeped that you make so many references to me.
Originally Posted by edmorel
Can someone please cliff notes GQGeek's tome? Thanks.
Originally Posted by GQgeek
After they left our guide took us off the paths into the unadultered jungle. This was the highlight for me but my gf opted to stay back by the path.
Done.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Can someone please cliff notes GQGeek's tome? Thanks.

I went to peru. I ate good food. I got diarrhea and vomitted a lot. Machu Picchu was nice but wet. The rainforest was hot and there were lots of insects. Monkeys are fun to watch.

RJ, you're cool and all, but I prefer women.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... but you're not allowed to bring tripods into the citadel because a beer commercial crew broke something with one a few years back. I was very careful with mine.

What those idiots broke was a corner of the Inti Watana that is a solar clock and main housel, placed at the center of the main square of the citadel, dating from around 1450

As you probably know, the Sun was God for the Incas so this was the central piece of the place.

It is like if you came to Paris and broke a corner of the Eiffel Tour, or went to NY and broke a piece of the Statue of the Liberty

800px-Intihuatana_Solar_Clock.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
What those idiots broke was a corner of the Inti Watana that is a solar clock and main housel, placed at the center of the main square of the citadel, dating from around 1450

As you probably know, the Sun was God for the Incas so this was the central piece of the place.

It is like if you came to Paris and broke a corner of the Eiffel Tour, or went to NY and broke a piece of the Statue of the Liberty

800px-Intihuatana_Solar_Clock.jpg

So what happened to them?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf

**** happens!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Machu Picchu is great but to get the full experience you should hike the inca trail to get there imo.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
So what happened to them?

They were filming a TV spot and the crane holding the camera felt and broke a corner of the monument.

I think they got a big fine and banned for life from the place.

But anyway, the 500 year old monument got broken and that can't be repaired.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Machu Picchu is great but to get the full experience you should hike the inca trail to get there imo.

I took the train from Ollantaytambo and it took almost as long. There were landslides and the 43km journey took 6 hours with the delays.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the train from Ollantaytambo and it took almost as long. There were landslides and the 43km journey took 6 hours with the delays.

Not quite. The hike is 3 1/2 days long but it's hard to beat the experience of walking through clouds at 4,000+ meters to arrive at Machu Pichu.

We had the craziest experiences on Peruvian trains. On the way back from Aguas Calientes, we had paid for so-called upper class seats but as soon as the train arrived, hudreds of people just rush the cars and grab all the seats
boxing[1].gif
so you end up sitting on top of others... didn't matter though as the train broke down in the middle of the journey and everyone had to walk back or stay in the train at night. Fortunately, a fellow traveler negotiated with the last bus driving to Cuzco to allow us to stand on the bus for 2.5 hours to get back that night.
plain.gif

Then, the train from Cuzco to Puno broke down a few kms from Puno. I suspect it may have been an elaborate scam though as taxis swarmed the train to bring us into town and find us a hotel... I won't even start on the Bolivian miltary airlines flights to the rainforest... great honeymoon memories nonetheless
inlove.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are some of the photos from my Peru trip. There are more here:

JS042894.jpg

JS042926.jpg

JS063393.jpg

JS063405.jpg

JS042944.jpg

JS042954.jpg

JS053166.jpg

JS063517.jpg

JS063557.jpg

JS063631.jpg

JS053163-2.jpg

JS022579.jpg

JS022633.jpg

JS022647.jpg

JS022658.jpg

JS022778.jpg

JS022623.jpg

JS312200.jpg

JS312236.jpg

JS291648.jpg

JS210945.jpg

JS211103.jpg

JS210977.jpg

JS221248-2.jpg

JS211190.jpg

JS221204-2.jpg

JS251429.jpg

JS251357.jpg

JS251505.jpg

JS251502.jpg

JS211173.jpg

JS301880.jpg

JS301853.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This looks all very picturesque and attractive. I would like it; however, I'd probably have to get myself a new wardrobe to go there, which is both a hassle and a pleasure.

Did you get any peccary gloves?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This looks all very picturesque and attractive. I would like it; however, I'd probably have to get myself a new wardrobe to go there, which is both a hassle and a pleasure.

Did you get any peccary gloves?

I did that on my first day there. Partly because the airline had not thought to transfer my luggage onto my plan to Lima, but also because i knew I'd need a bunch of cheap crappy clothes to abuse in the rainforest. If you look at the album on picasa you'll see the sort of mud we had to hike through. I also got my white pants absolutely filthy when I visited the pyramids of Tucume. I don't know what I was thinking. I also soaked-through a pair of ferragamo loafers at Machu Picchu. I smartened up for the rainforest though.
laugh.gif
I took a ton of pics in Peru but got it down to about 300 which I uploaded.

And no to the peccary gloves. They don't ahve a big glove-making industry there. ;p The only thing I bought was a bright green baby alpaca throw for my couch. There was some nice art in Cusco, but I was already over budget.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads