1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I'm at a loss

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by montecristo#4, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior Member

I wear either tobacco suede loafers, brown suede brogues or brown leather country brogues with my red cords. They go perfecly well, particularly when worn with a navy blazer or tweed sports jacket.

The velvet slippers shown would normally only be worn indoors.

2. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

I once saw a man wearing those very slippers while in line at the pharmacy. It looked really odd, as though he were in one of those nightmares where you leave home to go to work and then realize you are naked, if that makes any sense.

3. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

And now the (heretical) cheap shot: Who's going to be looking at your shoes?

I admire your courage in choosing bright red cords--I saw a pair of lime green on sale that I loved--but they'd just be too hard to coordinate and then the question of where to wear them arises...

4. Fabienne

Oh, you should have. Too few men in this country wear colors. My husband has a pair of lime green cords for the summer. They're quite stylish and versatile, more so than I would have thought when he took the plunge.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I immediately thought suede. I don't think brown would necessarily clash, depending on the brown.

Fabienne, cords in the summer?

6. Fabienne

Yes, very light cords, whose color would almost require you to wear them in the summer.

7. SmartDresser

SmartDresser Well-Known Member

Yes, the fabric is the key. Suede, Suede. Then try chocolate brown.

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

A very dark shade of brown suede, such as what Alden produces for their tassel loafers.

9. joseanes

joseanes Senior Member

I guess you have to be very brave to sport red pants out there.
    As other members have suggested, I would try white or blue shoes.

However, having no white or blue shoes.... I would prefer to cut my losses, and donate to charity.

Sorry... I guess I am a boring guy.

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

Stylestudent, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Although tassels are not my thing.

That being said, I am having second thoughts about the red pant concept overall. At best I can wear them one day a year -- Christmas.

Wimping out,
    Montecristo

11. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

Interesting question, which I believe I can answer from my own experience. I have a pair of widewale corduroy trousers (Polo rather than RLPL) in a bright red-orange that is perhaps not dissimilar. I can't say I wear them more than once or twice a year, but when I do, they look quite smart with a pair of black Pliner slip-ons which happen to have a heel cushion (as I believe it's called) of the same red. This detail becomes evident only when I'm seated but it provides a nice touch for those who may notice. Now that I think of it, I also have a pair of raisin-brown (almost cordovan but darker) monkstraps that would also work well. I agree that brown suede, which is not yet represented in my collection, would be very successful depending on the shade.

I think the more important point is not to fear color. I believe in embracing color, and am never so happy than when sporting garments in heretofore unseen (but not necessarily loud) combinations.

12. Ed13

Ed13 Senior Member

I currently have poppy red cords for summer, deep red cords for winter and bright red brushed cotton for winter (I also have lime green cords). I like clothing with colour and I think it looks good if not over done. I will wear various shades of brown leather or suede with the pants. I have never worn red pants and black shoes. I think brown blends in better.

13. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I agree with the others (some of them anyway) that brown is the way to go. I used to have a pair of "Nantucket Red" cords (which are either a shade of pink or lightish red, depending on your perspective) with which I normally paired either boat shoes or LL Bean blucher mocassins-- it was a great look. I'd think bright red with a lighter shade of brown would work very well. As for when to wear the cords, I could see wearing them. . . at Christmastime; but also for fall/winter gatherings with neighbors; holiday-season evenings out with my wife; a Saturday afternoon walking around Georgetown or Annapolis. In my book, clothes like that go into the "country club" category -- if you dress "old school" preppy, you'll be fine.

14. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to go with a light-to-medium brown myself, although those RL slippers (?) are brilliant. But anyway, three pages in and no one is fleshing out the rest of the wardrobe. What else does one wear with red cords once the shoe issue is nailed down?

Scott

15. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

I was thinking ivory cable-nkit cashmere crewneck sweater with a blue and white check button down shirt underneath.

Of course, you could always do a turtleneck and a navy blazer.