• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm always tired

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

For the past 2 or 3 years or so, I have been tired almost all the time. During high school I blamed it on poor sleep habits. Recently, however I'm not so sure if this is the case. I was on vacation for the past 10 days and pretty much slept/chilled as much as I wanted to and I was still tired and fell asleep at like 11 watching tv with my cousins (after a day of lounging on the beach). Throughout winter break I've been getting like 8.5 hours of sleep, and still feel tired. I am a competitive cycling and am currently riding anywhere between 14 and 16 hours a week, but I wasn't riding over vacation and I was still tired as hell, so I'm not sure if that is the source of the problem. I eat relatively well.

For example, tonight is a friday night during winter break. I should be out having fun with friends, but I am so tired and I don't feel like doing much of anything. ****, I'm 18 but I feel like I'm 70.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do and try and get my energy levels up? Anything I should get checked out at the doctors? I really just want to feel like a normal teen, but I'm always tired as hell.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you depressed as well?

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I certainly don't feel depressed. But I guess if I was actually depressed I might not know it, lol.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ll

Last edited:

djbj6t9

Reaction score
Maybe you're not sleeping as much as you think. Do you notice yourself waking up often in the middle of the night or having a hard time falling asleep?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some blood tests or something done, man. If it's been a few years and you lead a relatively healthy lifestyle with proper exercise/nutrition/sleep etc then you should probably go see a doctor.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should get some bloodwork done, could be low test, or low t3 or any number of things. Nobody online is going to be able to diagnose you, see a doc

dom999

Reaction score
are you taking any pills (medicine..) ?

in the summer i take pills against allergies & i get really tired and then when i wanna go to sleep, i cant sleep very well (wake up in middle of the night etc). now im on different pills and its better, but i get a little bit tired too, but i got no problems with sleeping.

if youre not, go see a doctor

pkiula

Reaction score
Being tired is about stress and bad metabolism. Do you get out often? Do you exercise? If you don't like gymming or running (because they're boring, imho) then take up a regular sport or yoga. I play tennis two three times a week and do at-home yoga (which is the best part about yoga, I can do it in my shorts in the privacy of my home).

Important thing is routine. Even if you do 20 pushups a day, but do it at precisely 8am every single day, trust me your body will be different in a week or so. The human body is structured for rhythm.

I also find that past the age of 30 or so, some multivitamins help. Especially if you live in a city and are unable to eat super-healthy food regularly because of work or other lifestyle realities. I swear by the GNC men's thing (black and white bottle).

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you snore? Could be sleep apnea.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Pkiula, did you even read the OP's post?

My initial thought is that you're anemic or that you're over-training. 14-16 hours a week seems like a lot, my running volume is between 70-80 mpw and that's only maybe 9 hours a week?

This summer when I was training, I felt like you do now, extremely tired. I got blood tests done, and I wasn't anemic. The doctor said that he thought I was over-training. It wasn't until I sprained my ankle and was forced off for 3 weeks that I felt better.

I realize that you haven't trained over this break but just as stress takes a while to accumulate it also takes a while to recover from. My recommendation is to get blood work done but also continue to rest, eat, and sleep plenty.

As Harvey pointed out, sleep apnea could be another cause. My roommate has recently found out that he suffers from a sleeping disorder. Which explains his going to bed 8, waking up at 5:30 and still being exhausted. I think that it'd go unnoticed by the general population but it's much more noticeable in endurance athletes. You're constantly pushing the envelope of stress and recovery, when your recovery gets compromised it's noticeable.

CCAurora

Reaction score
This testing program *literally* saved my life: http://drrobertjeffrey.com/Jan%2028%...28D%29/NRT.htm A doctor tried to put me on heart medication. A Nutrition Response doctor *cured* my neurological, adrenal, thyroid, and heavy metal toxicity problems that cumulatively manifested themselves in part with an irregular heartbeat.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you elaborate a bit more on how you were "cured", and by exactly what means?

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't take any pills.

I think I'll make an appointment at the doctors and get blood work done. thanks guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads