• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm afraid to get my suit jacket drycleaned

SillyRabbit

Reaction score
My navy suit is a polyester/wool blend (I know, I know, but i'm a poor student and it fits me extremely well!) and i'm afraid to take it to get dry cleaned.

I'm worried that if I get it dry cleaned, the fabric might deteriorate. When I got it tailored, the tailor was a bit rough with it, and seeing as it is a slim fitting suit, it does get a bit of a workout when I wear it (especially the button).

The suit does fit me extremely well and I want to try and preserve it for as long as I possibly can. Right now it is in good condition.

I only wear it once every few months so I haven't had to dry clean it yet (had it just under 2 years) but today someone spilled some food on it.

The food was some yogurt and rice and I was able to wipe it off immediately.

It doesn't look like there's any stain, and it doesn't appear as if anything really "sunk in" before I wiped it away but part of me is worried that there could be food particles / yogurt deep in the fibers that could cause problems in the future if not removed now.

Should I get it drycleaned? Should I attempt to wash it with soap/water/a rag? Should I do nothing?

Last edited:

Mjonsson

Reaction score
Hello SillyRabbit

Fist of if you can't see anything or smell anything you don't need to dry clean. And especially not if its a polyester mix suit. often this suits can be "glued" together.
So if they are steamed they lining can set the wrong way or the suit can start fall apart.

So in your case you should invest in something that a lot of guys forget to have at home! A clothing brush so basically you brush your suit this will clean it from particles and so on.
and increase your suits lifespan any luxury look for a long time.

i recommend you go get a brush! they are a bit expensive 60$ for me in Sweden maybe less for you.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics