Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I'm a woman, and I want to become a shoemaker. How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whatdidshesay, Jan 4, 2016.

1. whatdidshesay

whatdidshesay New Member

Hi Styleforum,

I'm writing to you because hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction. For the past 12 years I've worked as a translator and have gotten to translate some really amazing things produced by haute couture houses and upmarket labels. The creativity and beauty of quality garments and shoes is not lost on me, and it definitely leads me to actually want to make something with my own two hands. I especially love what Saskia Wittmer is doing out of Florence as well as Hidetaka Fukaya. I realize it might be an uphill battle for me because of my gender.

I love shoes and want to know how I can dip my toes in the industry. My dream is to own my own small little storefront in Florence.

What do I need to do?

Thanks. :)

2. rbhan12

rbhan12 Distinguished Member

Stefano Bemer in Florence has an apprenticeship program, might be what you're looking for.

3. whatdidshesay

whatdidshesay New Member

Thank you very much. I better start stashing money now... it's expensive, but well worth it.