• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm a student looking to build a better wardrobe - where should I begin?

Paerra

Reaction score
I am an undergrad student, and since recently I've had the desire to construct a timeless, well-fitting wardrobe for myself. Basically, I would like to eschew streetwear such as t-shirts, jeans, and outdoor clothing in favor of classic, fashion-exempt pieces that are more versatile such as button downs, polos, trousers, and sportcoats. In a nutshell, I would like to not simply update my image, but rather establish for myself a life-long image that I can be comfortable with.

My question for the board is: where do I begin? What should I buy first, and are there rules to be followed? Many other topics addressed issues similar to mine; however, there are some key differences. First, I'm a student, and I am therefore only interested in building a casual wardrobe for the time being. Second, I have a very limited disposable budget (around $1000/semester). Third, I have the requisite items to get me through interviews/career fairs/internships for the time being. I will focus on suits and such at a later time.

Here are some recent purchases:
1. Cole Haan venetian loafers. I know, I know. I got them before I started reading SF. On the other hand, they were very cheap and they look passable.
2. Brooks Brothers 346 chinos.
3. Polo oxford button down.

Clearly, I need guidance. Am I beyond helping?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Shirts, trousers, shoes, and a jacket or two. I know some here would sooner die than give or follow this advice, but you should check J-Crew and Banana Republic for sales. You can get some very, very good deals on clearance. Once you have a working base of well fitting clothing, you can start expanding to nicer things. The B&S board here is excellent as well.

GucciKid

Reaction score
There's not really a lot of advice to give that hasn't been given in other threads. Just buy casual stuff.

If it were me I would start by investing money in the bigger/more expensive/staple items and then build around them.

ie: nice shoes, a blazer or two, a nice overcoat/leather jacket

At your price point I wouldn't be spending a lot on things like pants, dress shirts, or ties. You will need them obviously, but you can get good quality items on ebay or on the B & S forum for reasonably cheap.

In short invest in things that will last the longest, you will get the most wear out of, and that people will notice the most.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Paerra

Here are some recent purchases:
1. Cole Haan venetian loafers. I know, I know. I got them before I started reading SF. On the other hand, they were very cheap and they look passable.
?

Im sorry, I just looked those up and they are definitely not passable.

GucciKid

Reaction score
A last piece of advice is that I wouldn't cheap out on the items I listed. If you keep reading this forum and you've bought cheap stuff you aren't wild about you'll start regretting it.

This is how I would break down $1000 bucks

300-400 - overcoat or jacket (a nice pea coat or leather jacket should suit you well depending on where you live)

200-400 - 2 blazers/sportcoats - one preferably navy, the polo made in italy stuff is nice and slim fitting

200-300 - 2 pairs dress shoes - with your budget I'm going to recommend not buying new shoes. You can get some very nice used pairs for cheap that still have a lot of life left in them

100 - 2/3 pairs of trousers

100 - 3 dress shirts

50 - 5 pairs underwear

10 - some socks

I'm a bit over budget on the high end but you get the idea

GucciKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Im sorry, I just looked those up and they are definitely not passable.

+ 1

Please deposit in nearest garbage receptacle

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has recently been there, done that, you should buy:

2 pairs of well fitting, good quality jeans; you can and will wear these 5/7 days a week. Look at Crate, Naked and Famous, APC, etc. These brands have no obvious logos or designs, allowing you to wear multiple times without drawing attention.

6 OCBDs in blue, blue/white stripe, white, and any other colors you want (I would personally double up on the blue and blue/white stripe and get one pink/white stripe). These you can wear with jeans up to but not including a suit. You can get the slimfit BB during their sales 3 for $150 (during xmas, an extra 15% off that). If you want to splurge, look at the black fleece line.

A pair of decent chukka or chelsea boots in dark brown calf; as above, can wear with jeans and up to but not including a suit. AE is currently not making a boot, so I would check out Loake for your budget. If you have money, don't go for a nicer maker, but rather get both, with perhaps one in dark brown suede; this will be your daily shoe rotation team. Try to get one with Dainite or otherwise rubber soles for rainy days/when there is salt on the street/etc.

A well fitting pair of charcoal trousers and a well fitting navy blazer- these two will be your dress uniform for a while. You will look sharp and collegiate with an OCBD and tie (repp stripe would be nice). Blazer will go with chinos you already have, and grey pants can be worn sans blazer with an OCBD for slightly dressier situations that don't require a jacket. Pair with your chukkas or chelseas. I would go to an RL and BB store, try on a bunch of stuff, then watch eBay, B&S, and for those companies' respective sales.

Go to a BB outlet, go to the tie section- most of these ties have "346" keeper labels. However, you will find mixed in ties that say "Brooks Brothers." These are mainline quality, and can be had 3 for $99. Pick out two navy ground ties, one stripe and one conservative pattern (pindot, geometric), and one of your choice (silver is nice, red could work). Combine this offer with a coupon- these will allow you take your time finding better quality ties.

This is my advice, I don't mean to generalize rules, but if you follow it, you will have a nice core wardrobe that will hold you over and give you time to develop your taste, find some good deals (including a suit and proper dress shoes to go with it), and take your time building your wardrobe.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you know your sizing, the B&S sections on SF are great places to pick up nice things at good prices.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
As someone who has recently been there, done that, you should buy: 2 pairs of well fitting, good quality jeans; you can and will wear these 5/7 days a week. Look at Crate, Naked and Famous, APC, etc. These brands have no obvious logos or designs, allowing you to wear multiple times without drawing attention. 6 OCBDs in blue, blue/white stripe, white, and any other colors you want (I would personally double up on the blue and blue/white stripe and get one pink/white stripe). These you can wear with jeans up to but not including a suit. You can get the slimfit BB during their sales 3 for $150 (during xmas, an extra 15% off that). If you want to splurge, look at the black fleece line. A pair of decent chukka or chelsea boots in dark brown calf; as above, can wear with jeans and up to but not including a suit. AE is currently not making a boot, so I would check out Loake for your budget. If you have money, don't go for a nicer maker, but rather get both, with perhaps one in dark brown suede; this will be your daily shoe rotation team. Try to get one with Dainite or otherwise rubber soles for rainy days/when there is salt on the street/etc. A well fitting pair of charcoal trousers and a well fitting navy blazer- these two will be your dress uniform for a while. You will look sharp and collegiate with an OCBD and tie (repp stripe would be nice). Blazer will go with chinos you already have, and grey pants can be worn sans blazer with an OCBD for slightly dressier situations that don't require a jacket. Pair with your chukkas or chelseas. I would go to an RL and BB store, try on a bunch of stuff, then watch eBay, B&S, and for those companies' respective sales. Go to a BB outlet, go to the tie section- most of these ties have "346" keeper labels. However, you will find mixed in ties that say "Brooks Brothers." These are mainline quality, and can be had 3 for $99. Pick out two navy ground ties, one stripe and one conservative pattern (pindot, geometric), and one of your choice (silver is nice, red could work). Combine this offer with a coupon- these will allow you take your time finding better quality ties. This is my advice, I don't mean to generalize rules, but if you follow it, you will have a nice core wardrobe that will hold you over and give you time to develop your taste, find some good deals (including a suit and proper dress shoes to go with it), and take your time building your wardrobe.
I disagree that Chelsea boots cannot work with a suit; on the contrary, I think they do that job quite aptly.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranKhan
I disagree that Chelsea boots cannot work with a suit; on the contrary, I think they do that job quite aptly.

Read my disclaimer- for his purposes, they should be relegated to casual wear. When a college man wears a suit, it is generally an occasion that requires conservative dress- black captoes that he can pick up later.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read my disclaimer- for his purposes, they should be relegated to casual wear. When a college man wears a suit, it is generally an occasion that requires conservative dress- black captoes that he can pick up later.
The Chelsea boots can work for both purposes.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranKhan
The Chelsea boots can work for both purposes.

While in the right application chelsea boots can look good with a suit, it doesn't apply for all situations. It has to be the right chelsea, on the right last, made out of the right material, paired with a sleek, 60s vibe, mod-styled suit, kinda like TaT or perhaps RLBL. It would be a bad idea for a guy who has admitted that he is just learning about style to try to incorporate this look into his repertoire. It also limits the type of shoe and the type of suit he can buy, which in the interest of getting the best bang for his buck, is counter-intuitive. Much better to get the best fitting, best value chelsea, regardless of its ability to pair with a suit, and when he eventually gets a suit, to do the same. And if you wore a chelsea boot with your suit to an interview or career fair, you run the risk of raising eyebrows in a bad way. It is a false economy.

Closer

Reaction score
As someone who has recently been there, done that, you should buy:

2 pairs of well fitting, good quality jeans; you can and will wear these 5/7 days a week. Look at Crate, Naked and Famous, APC, etc. These brands have no obvious logos or designs, allowing you to wear multiple times without drawing attention.

6 OCBDs in blue, blue/white stripe, white, and any other colors you want (I would personally double up on the blue and blue/white stripe and get one pink/white stripe). These you can wear with jeans up to but not including a suit. You can get the slimfit BB during their sales 3 for $150 (during xmas, an extra 15% off that). If you want to splurge, look at the black fleece line.

A pair of decent chukka or chelsea boots in dark brown calf; as above, can wear with jeans and up to but not including a suit. AE is currently not making a boot, so I would check out Loake for your budget. If you have money, don't go for a nicer maker, but rather get both, with perhaps one in dark brown suede; this will be your daily shoe rotation team. Try to get one with Dainite or otherwise rubber soles for rainy days/when there is salt on the street/etc.

A well fitting pair of charcoal trousers and a well fitting navy blazer- these two will be your dress uniform for a while. You will look sharp and collegiate with an OCBD and tie (repp stripe would be nice). Blazer will go with chinos you already have, and grey pants can be worn sans blazer with an OCBD for slightly dressier situations that don't require a jacket. Pair with your chukkas or chelseas. I would go to an RL and BB store, try on a bunch of stuff, then watch eBay, B&S, and for those companies' respective sales.

Go to a BB outlet, go to the tie section- most of these ties have "346" keeper labels. However, you will find mixed in ties that say "Brooks Brothers." These are mainline quality, and can be had 3 for $99. Pick out two navy ground ties, one stripe and one conservative pattern (pindot, geometric), and one of your choice (silver is nice, red could work). Combine this offer with a coupon- these will allow you take your time finding better quality ties.

This is my advice, I don't mean to generalize rules, but if you follow it, you will have a nice core wardrobe that will hold you over and give you time to develop your taste, find some good deals (including a suit and proper dress shoes to go with it), and take your time building your wardrobe.

very sound advice. do what this guy said.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While in the right application chelsea boots can look good with a suit, it doesn't apply for all situations. It has to be the right chelsea, on the right last, made out of the right material, paired with a sleek, 60s vibe, mod-styled suit, kinda like TaT or perhaps RLBL. It would be a bad idea for a guy who has admitted that he is just learning about style to try to incorporate this look into his repertoire. It also limits the type of shoe and the type of suit he can buy, which in the interest of getting the best bang for his buck, is counter-intuitive. Much better to get the best fitting, best value chelsea, regardless of its ability to pair with a suit, and when he eventually gets a suit, to do the same. And if you wore a chelsea boot with your suit to an interview or career fair, you run the risk of raising eyebrows in a bad way. It is a false economy.
Fair enough. When I mentioned Chelsea boots, I was thinking along the lines of this or this. I would not personally wear casual Chelsea boots besides brogued ones for the country.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads